Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

Was bored so I decided to watch the whole 90 :lol:

Surprisingly, we played some nice football. Usually, our preseason games are turgid as (from my memory, at least), but players seemed pretty in tune with each other, and we put together some great moves. It reminded me of how good we actually were at times last season (as in, sometimes we looked so far and away above the opposition), especially with everyone fit, and gave me some hope for the new season. Even if we only get Murphy in for the rest of the summer, if Rafa stays, I can always hope we'll have a good-ish season. It's Rafa, man.

You can tell Gayle and de Jong just get each other's games, like, as soon as Siem got the ball, you could see exactly what he was looking for. Aarons was also impressive (he's filled out a lot), it's just a shame we really can't rely on either him or de Jong over a season as they both have talent. Maybe they can be solid squad players for the season.

Shelvey just picked up where he left off and looked a cut above, tbh. His second touch was an absolute raker of a pass :lol: looks very, very lean and more mobile - think he's going to have a good season. Diame was also good next to him, broke play up well and sprayed some lovely passes.

Second half, Gamez and Saivet caught my eye. Gamez put some lovely crosses in and looked much quicker than I remember him. Saivet did the basics well - showed some nice turns of pace, and played some good passes.

LeJeune looks massive but mobile. Potentially the defender we've been looking for for years & years.

Was bored so I decided to watch the whole 90 :lol:

Surprisingly, we played some nice football. Usually, our preseason games are turgid as (from my memory, at least), but players seemed pretty in tune with each other, and we put together some great moves. It reminded me of how good we actually were at times last season (as in, sometimes we looked so far and away above the opposition), especially with everyone fit, and gave me some hope for the new season. Even if we only get Murphy in for the rest of the summer, if Rafa stays, I can always hope we'll have a good-ish season. It's Rafa, man.

You can tell Gayle and de Jong just get each other's games, like, as soon as Siem got the ball, you could see exactly what he was looking for. Aarons was also impressive (he's filled out a lot), it's just a shame we really can't rely on either him or de Jong over a season as they both have talent. Maybe they can be solid squad players for the season.

Shelvey just picked up where he left off and looked a cut above, tbh. His second touch was an absolute raker of a pass :lol: looks very, very lean and more mobile - think he's going to have a good season. Diame was also good next to him, broke play up well and sprayed some lovely passes.

Second half, Gamez and Saivet caught my eye. Gamez put some lovely crosses in and looked much quicker than I remember him. Saivet did the basics well - showed some nice turns of pace, and played some good passes.

LeJeune looks massive but mobile. Potentially the defender we've been looking for for years & years.

How was Lazaar? He looked quite lively on the left wing on the extended highlights.

Training camp squad that's travelled to Ireland is:

Karl Darlow, Rob Elliot, Freddie Woodman, Ciaran Clark, Paul Dummett, Jesus Gamez, Massadio Haidara, Grant Hanley, Jamaal Lascelles, Florian Lejeune, Jamie Sterry, DeAndre Yedlin, Rolando Aarons, Christian Atsu, Jack Colback, Mohamed Diame, Victor Fernandez, Isaac Hayden, Matt Ritchie, Henri Saivet, Jonjo Shelvey, Callum Roberts, Siem De Jong, Dwight Gayle, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Daryl Murphy, Ayoze Perez.

Training camp squad that's travelled to Ireland is:

Karl Darlow, Rob Elliot, Freddie Woodman, Ciaran Clark, Paul Dummett, Jesus Gamez, Massadio Haidara, Grant Hanley, Jamaal Lascelles, Florian Lejeune, Jamie Sterry, DeAndre Yedlin, Rolando Aarons, Christian Atsu, Jack Colback, Mohamed Diame, Victor Fernandez, Isaac Hayden, Matt Ritchie, Henri Saivet, Jonjo Shelvey, Callum Roberts, Siem De Jong, Dwight Gayle, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Daryl Murphy, Ayoze Perez.

Coitens for Riviere, Lazaar and Krul?

Will be interesting to see if Victor Fernandez will get a chance, he seems to be promising :thup: No Gouffran or Riviere :)

Gouffran isn't employed by the club so would be quite hard for him to be there unless he had signed a new deal.

Set to join some Turkish side.

Will be interesting to see if Victor Fernandez will get a chance, he seems to be promising :thup: No Gouffran or Riviere :)

Gouffran isn't employed by the club so would be quite hard for him to be there unless he had signed a new deal.

Set to join some Turkish side.

:thup: yeah I just realized.

Armstrong missing too as well as Mbemba although he has a visa problem apparently.

Club have said Armstrong set to go out on loan so hasn't travelled.

Ah right. Championship again probably.

Armstrong missing too as well as Mbemba although he has a visa problem apparently.

Mbemba travelled and played in Ireland last year so presume the club left it too late and cocked up his visa application.

Guest palnese

Desperate to get rid of some of the shite in the squad. Probably easier said than done, mind. Most of the deadwood are probably on massive wages compared to their ability.

Mbemba travelled and played in Ireland last year so presume the club left it too late and cocked up his visa application.

Penfold's been busy with loads of transfers to be fair.