Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

Guest Howaythetoon

I used to date an Indian lass, if you want proper Indian food, don’t go to a takeaway or a restaurant, go to an Indian family home. World of difference. Only problem far too spicey for me. Wor lass is Kenyan originally and she does an amazing biryani, their cuisine apparently heavily influenced by India and the Arab world. She uses lamb which I’m ok with, but not on the bone and I prefer beef. Only problem it takes ages to prepare and cook as there are so many ingredients and I’m not a fan of ghee, but it’s used for authenticity. Those eggs caramelised by whatever it is... lush.

Spanish food, I love tapas and a paellla because it’s simple and you can pick and choose, but I find Spanish food kind of boring and samey samey. English food gets panned, but some of our dishes are the dogs bollocks. Best food... I’ve tried the lot, authentic African food be it East or North or West or South. Street food in Kenya, seeing a Goat topped in front of you, skinned, chopped up and cooked with all kinds of other stuff... They can mix all kinds of food that you would usually never have together seem like it all belongs together. Best kebab I’ve ever had was in Tunisia. Makes ours feel like fish and chips which is what it is really.

Anyway, Merino, talented player who I hope we see more of next season. I don’t think the midfield options we have suit his game nor our tactics. For me it’s Diame and Shelvey in the centre which is our best option for now as they are proving.

Do you dislike butter?

?

Guest Howaythetoon

I think he's saying ghee is basically just butter without the milk solids.

Ah right. My issue with it is how much is used in certain dishes.

Guest Howaythetoon

Our Sikh neighbours give us a home cooked curry once a week. Way better than the restaurant stuff.

I'm suspicious of this arrangement tbh, they do this every week?  What's in it for them?

My ex neighbours were an Indian family and they must of took pity on me constantly ordering takeaways so would regularly knock on the door with food. Best neighbours I’ve ever had.

Just me that thinks that's weird?

Nah not really. My sister lives next door to an Indian family and theres regularly a knock at the door and one of the kids'll be there (heck, they're in their 20's now) with a tray full saying "mam made too much".

Come to think of it my neighbour often makes us cakes and she always gets a couple of bowls when I make soup.

Nah not really. My sister lives next door to an Indian family and theres regularly a knock at the door and one of the kids'll be there (heck, they're in their 20's now) with a tray full saying "mam made too much".

Come to think of it my neighbour often makes us cakes and she always gets a couple of bowls when I make soup.

Yeah my neighbours are Indian and there's often a knock on the door and some delights being delivered. Usually left over food from temple or some gathering or party. Always insanely good.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah, we were neighbours for about 4 years and we got on well and would always talk in the mornings or whatever. They were elderly with their son and his wfe and kids living there, two houses into one. I was single, constant takeaways I think they rook pity on me. It wasn't every week of course, but easily once a month. It’s custom mind in some Indian/Muslim/African communities to give food to others/neighbours.

Nah, we were neighbours for about 4 years and we got on well and would always talk in the mornings or whatever. They were elderly with their son and his wfe and kids living there, two houses into one. I was single, constant takeaways I think they rook pity on me. It wasn't every week of course, but easily once a month. It’s custom mind in some Indian/Muslim/African communities to give food to others/neighbours.

It's a basic in most religions I think and just generally being a nice person.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yeah my neighbours are Indian and there's often a knock on the door and some delights being delivered. Usually left over food from temple or some gathering or party. Always insanely good.

Aye I remember stuff like that very similar. Wor lass will go to some African function and any left over food gets divided up between them to hand out to neighbours or friends. Naturally when it comes home I get first dabs. They don’t tell you that about Indians and Africans in Brexit by the way...

Aye I remember stuff like that very similar. Wor lass will go to some African function and any left over food gets divided up between them to hand out to neighbours or friends. Naturally when it comes home I get first dabs. They don’t tell you that about Indians and Africans in Brexit by the way...

Hang on thats not peculiar to Africans and Indians. I've had many a bait provided by left overs from Birthdays/Weddings/Funerals etc.

Just to chime in, the food variety is definitely better in the US, and especially somewhere like LA, there's so much good Mexican food - not just burrito places, loads of other things I've never seen in the UK. Almost every group in the world is more represented in the US, and therefore there is more good food. The exception is Indian/South Asian. I'm sure you must be able to get good Indian food, but there is far less of it, and I've not found a good Indian in Chicago. Obviously there are some British things I miss that are less common - pies, pasties, chips, english breakfasts. You can get some of those things in some places, such as Brit/Irish pubs, but I've never found a proper chip yet.

(by the way, I'm always getting told by Indian mates that Brit Indian is totally different from Indian Indian food, so they make some for me to prove this and never find it's very different tbh...Sure in India there are other ingredients that are hard to find here)

Just to chime in, the food variety is definitely better in the US, and especially somewhere like LA, there's so much good Mexican food - not just burrito places, loads of other things I've never seen in the UK. Almost every group in the world is more represented in the US, and therefore there is more good food. The exception is Indian/South Asian. I'm sure you must be able to get good Indian food, but there is far less of it, and I've not found a good Indian in Chicago. Obviously there are some British things I miss that are less common - pies, pasties, chips, english breakfasts. You can get some of those things in some places, such as Brit/Irish pubs, but I've never found a proper chip yet.

(by the way, I'm always getting told by Indian mates that Brit Indian is totally different from Indian Indian food, so they make some for me to prove this and never find it's very different tbh...Sure in India there are other ingredients that are hard to find here)

I think one needs to possibly separate London from the rest of the UK when it comes to analysing food availability/quality.  I genuinely can't think of many cuisines in the world that don't have at least a few exceptional restaurants in London.