The Football Nostalgia Thread

Guest firetotheworks

Watching the football league goals on ITV on a Sunday morning. None of this analysis, emails and texts bullshit, just Matt Smith doing a few links at a random ground and as much time as possible showing footage.

One of the few things ITV ever did right with football.

In the 70s and early 80s there was only one presenter, jimmy hill etc behind a plain desk and plain wall behind, the analysis was so stilted. wonder when it went down the chat show route possibly with Des Lynam the smooth bastard

In the 70s and early 80s there was only one presenter, jimmy hill etc behind a plain desk and plain wall behind, the analysis was so stilted. wonder when it went down the chat show route possibly with Des Lynam the smooth b******

Whatever happened to Dishy Des?

In the 70s and early 80s there was only one presenter, jimmy hill etc behind a plain desk and plain wall behind, the analysis was so stilted. wonder when it went down the chat show route possibly with Des Lynam the smooth b******

Whatever happened to Dishy Des?

baby des and his crisps ousted him

Saint & Greavsie.

Roy of the Rovers. Melchester Rovers signed a kit deal with Nike when I was a kid and you send off postal orders to buy a shirt. Sadly this was during Thatchers reign, doubt there was too many shirts sold north of Watford.

Saint & Greavsie.

Roy of the Rovers. Melchester Rovers signed a kit deal with Nike when I was a kid and you send off postal orders to buy a shirt. Sadly this was during Thatchers reign, doubt there was too many shirts sold north of Watford.

Loved Saint and Greavsie when I was young.

In the 70s and early 80s there was only one presenter, jimmy hill etc behind a plain desk and plain wall behind, the analysis was so stilted. wonder when it went down the chat show route possibly with Des Lynam the smooth bastard

Towards the end of the 70s Chinny had Bob Wilson wìth him , just to give you the rest of that Saturday's news not covered by the games they had shown. Do you remember ITV getting the Saturday night spot for a couple of years circa 81-82 time.? MOTD just stopped until the Beeb won it back.

And a year or so later we saw the first live League games sometimes a Friday night mainly Sunday afternoon, split between the two main channels. IIRC Spurs vs Forest was the first one ever and Spurs won 2-1 after going a goal behind.

Towards the end of the 70s Chinny had Bob Wilson wìth him , just to give you the rest of that Saturday's news not covered by the games they had shown. Do you remember ITV getting the Saturday night spot for a couple of years circa 81-82 time.? MOTD just stopped until the Beeb won it back.

And a year or so later we saw the first live League games sometimes a Friday night mainly Sunday afternoon, split between the two main channels. IIRC Spurs vs Forest was the first one ever and Spurs won 2-1 after going a goal behind.

first ever live FA cup game ( other than final) was on a Friday night IIrc, any guesses where who?

yeah remember footy disappearing off TV altogether for a while - thought it was later 80s tho.

first ever live FA cup game ( other than final) was on a Friday night IIrc, any guesses where who?

yeah remember footy disappearing off TV altogether for a while - thought it was later 80s tho.

Us getting howked at Liverpool I reckon.

Us getting howked at Liverpool I reckon.

aye, wagged school for it, got our coach window put out.

I can remember the BBC losing the rights to show highlights on a Saturday night, probably around 1985. And for a whole season the only thing that they could afford was basketball. So we had an hour's round up of what was happening in the NBA. No fucker in Britain had even heard of the NBA. I still watch basketball to this day and that's what got me into into it.

I can remember the BBC losing the rights to show highlights on a Saturday night, probably around 1985. And for a whole season the only thing that they could afford was basketball. So we had an hour's round up of what was happening in the NBA. No fucker in Britain had even heard of the NBA. I still watch basketball to this day and that's what got me into into it.

thats what 3 and a half tv channels did. :lol:

like the days we were off school and the only thing that was on was crown court ffs.

thats what 3 and a half tv channels did. [emoji38]

like the days we were off school and the only thing that was on was crown court ffs.

Fucking Farmhouse Kitchen and Take the bastard High Road [emoji23]

simpler times :lol:

simpler times [emoji38]

Aye, when telly stopped at midnight [emoji23]

I can remember the BBC losing the rights to show highlights on a Saturday night, probably around 1985. And for a whole season the only thing that they could afford was basketball. So we had an hour's round up of what was happening in the NBA. No f***er in Britain had even heard of the NBA. I still watch basketball to this day and that's what got me into into it.

f***ing Farmhouse Kitchen and Take the b****** High Road [emoji23]

simpler times [emoji38]

Aye, when telly stopped at midnight [emoji23]

It would regularly "closedown" during the day aswell. Lunchtime news, Pebble mill, then nowt till Play school or that Welsh thing.

Mackems had a total melt down over the honey monster, boycotted them and were even talking about taking them to court at one point. something about trade descriptions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Footy magazines....

Shoot, World Soccer, Match etc.

USA '94 my first football tournament and for me still the best WC I've seen.

Random players signing for big clubs like Chris Kiwomya.

The Dell

Wimbledon

Ravanelli, Juninho and Emerson at the Cellnet Riverside Stadium - them being a mad ambitious club that went to two finals and went down along with the mackems with us qualifying for the CL by beating Forest 5-0. Such a great afternoon.

AC Milan the team of the early 90s - I remember them destroying Barca 4-0, European Cup.

This...

http://www.themag.co.uk/assets/toon-army-flag-1990s-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400.jpg

GREAT thread btw!