The Football Nostalgia Thread

Guest firetotheworks

These?

$_86.JPG

I remember buying cigarette cards and football programmes off eBay for a period of my teens. For some reason some woman I bought some cigarette cards off sent me a shitload of cards she'd collected from one of the local papers too.

Julio Geordio on Harry Enfield and Chums, the Shearer McDonalds adverts and the NUFC Adidas ones, James Richardson sitting in some café with a massive newspaper with the headline Ince to Newcastle on a Saturday morning, with Ken Wolstenholme summarising Padova v Piacenza.

I don't have a photo of mine, but I have the 96-97 Newcastle ones and the England Euro '96 ones. I think IP collected hundreds of these as well.

http://www.corinthianarchive.co.uk/communities/9/004/007/029/709/images/4563921543_150x250.jpg

Aye we found them a while back:

2ae1950ed43eb7263f2c121e94ef1bf0.jpgb07b8778a6a27e30c19252ff07363ae1.jpgdeb56af631f4d4a1b2827c7e21f36dc7.jpg

Julio Geordio on Harry Enfield and Chums, the Shearer McDonalds adverts and the NUFC Adidas ones, James Richardson sitting in some café with a massive newspaper with the headline Ince to Newcastle on a Saturday morning, with Ken Wolstenholme summarising Padova v Piacenza.

:lol: I've wasted a Sunday fending off a hangover watching old episodes on Youtube.

Gazzetta Football Italia 3rd June 1995 is a shining example if you want a real nostalgia trip.

Guest firetotheworks

An unabashedly personal one, but me getting these...

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/262093991971-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

and then my mam asking why I was still looking at these in the catalogue

http://flourishcreative.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Pred_5.jpg

Then my mam sending the Reeboks back and getting the Predators. Obviously it's personal to me, but it's a great memory.

In the 90s it was not easy to follow English football from the US, especially as a child who couldn't go to bars and without a satellite subscription. The New York Times used to list the results a day or two later and my grandma would send me clippings in the mail from UK papers. I think there was some soccer channel on AOL too, but Soccernet.com (which was acquired by ESPN and is now espnfc.com) was a miracle. Suddenly there was news and scores and tables whenever I wanted. Here it is in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/19990429031910/http://www.soccernet.com:80/english/nufc/index.html

When my grandparents used to visit, my grandpa (who has never used a computer in his life) was amazed I could look up the scores without teletext. "How'd Rotherham do? ... what about United (Sheffield)? ... Wednesday? ... Barnsley?" and on it went. I loved breaking the news to him.

Guest firetotheworks

51tu10yvjIL.jpg

YOU COULD PLAY INDOORS, MAN.

Fifa_97_indoor.png

:sweetjesus: Begged my cousin to always play indoors when he brought his Playstation round.

Weren't we the best 5-a-side team in the game? I'm sure we were.

Adidas Predators, great boots. As a kid I got a test them out for Adidas at the old Benfield football centre, just curling free kicks around a wall of metal figures for a few hours when they were still in testing / development. Great memories.

Guest firetotheworks

Adidas Predators, great boots. As a kid I got a test them out for Adidas at the old Benfield football centre, just curling free kicks around a wall of metal figures for a few hours when they were still in testing / development. Great memories.

Did you convince yourself that the ball was curling more than it would have with non-Predator boots as well?

Did you convince yourself that the ball was curling more than it would have with non-Predator boots as well?

Absolutely. I was only about 10!

The Kickmaster :lol:

I had one of those too but never had much with it. Just used to end up whacking it, I was always s**** at keepyups.

The fancy kid or proper keeper with Adidas finger saves.

I had the cheaper version of Bellamy's silver reebok boots and I could swear down I was faster in them.

Found my collection of Corinthian figures the other week, made a display for Keegan's 95/96 squad.

Then I realised you could get a Keegan, so I ordered one off eBay. No idea how he passed me by as a child.

He's with Rafa now

Can anyone remember what match ball we used in the mid 80s? Some really obscure brand that nobody had heard of and no other club used. But they were really prized and one kid I knew had one.

Minerva Supreme?

BwG6Xr0IcAAtcEL.jpg

Nah that's not it, the one I remember had a roughly circular logo.