The Football Nostalgia Thread

Guest firetotheworks

Des Lynam and in no specific order.. Roberto Baggio, Beardsley, Gullit, Van Basten, Gazza, Nedved, Hagi, Rijkaard, Batistuta.

I remember back the 80s there was a school fair and my mates parents were running a raffle for a Newcastle squad signed football, he told me what number to pick and it won. My cousin later came and borrowed said football when I wasnt at home and returned it with no case left on it.

I can remember the BBC losing the rights to show highlights on a Saturday night, probably around 1985. And for a whole season the only thing that they could afford was basketball. So we had an hour's round up of what was happening in the NBA. No f***er in Britain had even heard of the NBA. I still watch basketball to this day and that's what got me into into it.

thats what 3 and a half tv channels did. [emoji38]

like the days we were off school and the only thing that was on was crown court ffs.

f***ing Farmhouse Kitchen and Take the b****** High Road [emoji23]

simpler times [emoji38]

Aye, when telly stopped at midnight [emoji23]

It would regularly "closedown" during the day aswell. Lunchtime news, Pebble mill, then nowt till Play school or that Welsh thing.

Pobol y Cwm

Guest Howaythetoon

Looking back, the lack of England at '94 made it more enjoyable because as a teenager at the time, it wasn't about one team, but anyone and everyone so I actually got to enjoy the whole thing without bias so to speak.

Hagi, Stoichkov, Romario, Bebeto, Baggio, Bulgaria, Nigeria, Baresi, Maradona coked out of his nut screaming at the cameras. Jack Charlton losing his rag. Huge upsets. Sweden with Brolin and Dahlin. Albert. KK commentating and basically saying he would love Stoichkov, Hagi and Cafu at Newcastle live on air and that he was there to scout as well as commentate. KK saying some player who smashed another with an elbow was accidental when it clearly wasn't.

Diana fucking Ross and her daft penalties and a god awful final with drama in the shoot-out. Daft o'clock kicks off times as well, that and we were on the cusp of something great under KK back then and a decent summer of weather and me being a teenager... man happy days!

Guest Howaythetoon

KK saying some player who smashed another with an elbow was accidental when it clearly wasn't.

Brazil left back Leonardo who he wanted to sign!

Nee wonder then, he was a canny player anarl!

When you were able to see real English artists of the game , the likes of Gazza, Waddle, Hoddle, Barnes and Beardsley. We haven't really produced any for such a long time, Scholes excepted. In the 70s , the likes of Stan Bowles, Tony Currie and Frank Worthington even Ray Kennedy.

Loved the old panini sticker books. Didn't ever fill one but was always a thrill to peel open that packet to reveal the toon crest sticker on a sikver background. On a different subject,  I caught a double bill of 'classic MOTD' the other week. Boro v Norwich at ayresome park circa 1981. Justin fashanu got roundly booed and had  boro fans shouting 'Roots' whenever he got the ball. Very different days back then.  That was followed by the toon on the end of a 6-0 hiding at Stamford Bridge in the old division 2. Waddles early days and Chelsea fans singing 'In your geordie slums'.

Cars parked on the dog track at Chelsea?

was just thinking about donated mini buses driving round the pitch at sjp today.

edit-  dogs on the pitch as well.

I know it isn't football but didn't there used to be such a thing as white dog shit too? I'm sure there was [emoji23]

was just thinking about donated mini buses driving round the pitch at sjp today.

I know it isn't football but didn't there used to be such a thing as white dog shit too? I'm sure there was [emoji23]

yep dog shit was white in 70s - mid 80s. mind I seen some in Northumberland park last year- first time in decades :lol:

yep dog shit was white in 70s - mid 80s. mind I seen some in Northumberland park last year- first time in decades [emoji38]

Might have been antique dog shit [emoji23]

yep dog shit was white in 70s - mid 80s. mind I seen some in Northumberland park last year- first time in decades [emoji38]

:milner:

Lots of bones etc in their diet and not getting cleaned up -> white shit. Calcium innit.

:milner:

Lots of bones etc in their diet and not getting cleaned up -> white shit. Calcium innit.

I'm infinitely grateful for this enlightening education. [emoji23] Serious knowledge on such a niche subject.

Not sure that day but i can remember those sky blue, 3 wheelers dotted around behind the goals at many a ground back then.

they were amazing  :lol:

http://www.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Early-Disabled-Car.jpg