The Football Nostalgia Thread

Guest firetotheworks

I just miss the buzz in the town on matchday.  Get out early doors for some scran and head up Percy street, every bugger else doing the same.  Inventions / Bar Oz, Percy Arms, Three Bulls, maybe one or two at Rosies if you could get in then out to swell the horde heading up to the ground.

Been meaning to post this for a while as it's the worst piece of football tat I own. I think it came from a Prague market, NUFC Russian doll from around the 2005/6 season. Shearer is obviously the big one, but it's Steve Carr inside him...

I bought one of those in Prague in about 2005 :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Thames gets such a bad rep on here. [emoji38]

My Auntie worked at Tyne Tees for years and I don't think he was/is very well liked. I did my work experience there and he did come across as a bit of a dick, like.

That Matthew Taylor goal should have won goal of the season. Not sure which one did in the end (maybe the Scholes volley), but it wasn't Taylor.

One of those cases where if anyone high profile had scored that goal it would still be shown regularly today.

Guest reefatoon

Aahhhhh

http://www.foundthatfilm.co.uk/WebRoot/Store/Shops/es133404/4C4A/9B12/3FFE/9E42/2410/0A0F/1118/30C8/Jossys_giants.JPG

One of the only things that we would stop a kickabout on the field to go watch.

I just miss the buzz in the town on matchday.  Get out early doors for some scran and head up Percy street, every bugger else doing the same.  Inventions / Bar Oz, Percy Arms, Three Bulls, maybe one or two at Rosies if you could get in then out to swell the horde heading up to the ground.

I still get/feel a buzz, mind. Especially last season. Perhaps it's an age thing, younger fans feel it more than older. Probably because the latter are more used to the misery. :lol:

That Matthew Taylor goal should have won goal of the season. Not sure which one did in the end (maybe the Scholes volley), but it wasn't Taylor.

One of those cases where if anyone high profile had scored that goal it would still be shown regularly today.

I think it was the Rooney Ronaldo combo one, vastly overrated goal IMO.

Love the Gillespie one but winner of that should have been Essien's goal, the bend on the strike and the distance a worthy winner makes.

Guest firetotheworks

You reckon? I honestly don't think it's even the best one that month. You can tell there's a canny bit of hit and hope to it.

I still get/feel a buzz, mind. Especially last season. Perhaps it's an age thing, younger fans feel it more than older. Probably because the latter are more used to the misery. :lol:

I miss it cos I live a million miles away, not cos i'm an old git :lol:

Would have fucking loved to have been there last season, there's nothing better than being in town after a win.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, I think it's probably just me. Most of the time I'm not arsed about those types of goals unless they're really outrageous.

Jossys Giants. :lol:

I remember a folk used to stand outside rumbelows or radio rentals, whatever they were called, watching the scores come in on the tellys in the window. I was metro centre with my mates just before Christmas 92, we were away somewhere. Twenty to five there's a crowd of about 200 outside a tv shop whatching the vidiprinter on grandstand then this massive cheer went up all round metro centre, folk high giving and that. :lol: Just checked 2-0 away to notts county.

When MotD was on ITV and called The Premiership. It wasn't a great show, but we were good at the time - so U2's Beautiful Day makes me extremely nostalgic. Getting back from an away game to turn that on and watching us win. Sure there was a bit over the music with SHEARAAAAA too.

edit:

looks like I imagined the Shearaaa bit, but it was always in my head

Guest Howaythetoon

When MotD was on ITV and called The Premiership. It wasn't a great show, but we were good at the time - so U2's Beautiful Day makes me extremely nostalgic. Getting back from an away game to turn that on and watching us win. Sure there was a bit over the music with SHEARAAAAA too.

That was a terrible show, didn't they do a kind of MOTD2 show with Barry Venison on?

I used to love John Barnes' footy programme on 5, he was wooden in terms of presenting, but when he turned to talk to his guests football wise it was good stuff and they regularly did features on lower league and non league. An informative show I thought.

Can't beat Gazzetta Football Italia though, that was my fave football show and I used to love Italian football back in the day, probably more so than UK footy. During the early 90s it was easily the best league in terms of teams, players and the general atmosphere even if the stadiums weren't always full.

Guest palnese

Proper black football boots.

When tackles were allowed.

Football comics like 'United' with Terry Cox and Alex Jones etc. Remember reading about Ben Leiper, the doctor/goalkeeper and Leslie Thompson, the lad with a short leg. Loved that stuff as a kid.

Loved Euro 96. That will always be my 'first' tournament.

Collecting football cards. Remember having every single player bar Gudni Bergsson. My neighbour had two of Bergsson, but he wouldn't give it to me no matter what I offered him, the horrible fat cunt. We're not friends anymore.

I also used to love the Old Firm, but I can't really be arsed with it anymore.

Loved this

http://www.bul-alta.no/kx/434/Image/STIGA%20FOTBALLSPILL.JPG

That was a terrible show, didn't they do a kind of MOTD2 show with Barry Venison on?

I used to love John Barnes' footy programme on 5, he was wooden in terms of presenting, but when he turned to talk to his guests football wise it was good stuff and they regularly did features on lower league and non league. An informative show I thought.

Can't beat Gazzetta Football Italia though, that was my fave football show and I used to love Italian football back in the day, probably more so than UK footy. During the early 90s it was easily the best league in terms of teams, players and the general atmosphere even if the stadiums weren't always full.

Aye, "On The Ball". Gabby Logan was on anarl.