Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

"cant shift" is very different from "may or may not have difficulty in shifting in 12 months".

Makes it a stranger comment when if the Chronicle are accurate (ha), then we're not paying any of Sels' wages and the wage bill is our biggest problem this summer.

A trivial discussion anyway that has run its course.

Treating people like Gamez and Hanley as shit signings just shows you are dense TBH. Both might've been needed if we'd had injuries, and both would have done decent jobs in the Championship.

Even Sels, I don't think anyone could have predicted how bad he would do.

Rafa is mint basically, so shut up.

Guest Bordertoon

Not difficult to contain my excitement over this (imminent) signing tbh, but as with every new player he obviously deserves our full support and a decent chance to establish himself at the club, and to hopefully make an impact. The fact that he's lived in England for some time and has some EPL experience will hopefully mean that he can settle quickly and well.

Abundantly clear by now that we're reduced to shopping in the bargain bins, at least until we move some of our surplus players on, but the fact that it's Rafa's choice from the bargain bins helps me to retain a fair degree of optimism. In Joselu's case, Rafa seems to rate him, and as other posters have already noted it's encouraging that a significant proportion of the Stoke supporters have positive things to say about him. We shall see.

Not difficult to contain my excitement over this (imminent) signing tbh, but as with every new player he obviously deserves our full support and a decent chance to establish himself at the club, and to hopefully make an impact. The fact that he's lived in England for some time and has some EPL experience will hopefully mean that he can settle quickly and well.

Abundantly clear by now that we're reduced to shopping in the bargain bins, at least until we move some of our surplus players on, but the fact that it's Rafa's choice from the bargain bins helps me to retain a fair degree of optimism. In Joselu's case, Rafa seems to rate him, and as other posters have already noted it's encouraging that a significant proportion of the Stoke supporters have positive things to say about him. We shall see.

Ironically, strangely akin to buying sports gear from Sports Direct, we can't afford Nike so we're going for the best Slazenger kit money can buy!

If Benitez rates him highly, then hopefully this gets rid of some friction between him and the club. May not be our #1 target but Benitez hasn't been thrown some shit alternative, he genuinely wants him. That's good, should pacify him.

Guest chopey

First reply to that is awful.

Aye it was an unnecessary attack.  I've met Pete Graves before, he's a top bloke and a huge Newcastle fan.

I saw him at the match on Sunday.

Treating people like Gamez and Hanley as s*** signings just shows you are dense TBH. Both might've been needed if we'd had injuries, and both would have done decent jobs in the Championship.

Even Sels, I don't think anyone could have predicted how bad he would do.

Rafa is mint basically, so shut up.

No one is saying they were shit signings, just that buying these players can impact us long term considering our owner is a cheap asshole so because they didn't cost much doesn't mean there's no downside meaning you have to be very careful.

Also no one is blaming Rafa, he's not the one that gives the wages or the money for transfer fees.

Should have just kept Murphy if this was the "replacement".

This guy isn't any better than Murphy (in fact he's probably worse).

I was down for getting rid of Murphy because thought we'd sign a better player and improve the squad.

Underwhelming.

I was down for getting rid of Murphy because thought we'd sign a better player and improve the squad.

Underwhelming.

What.

Guest chopey

Underwhelming.

We'll see

Underwhelming.

What.

Underwhelming.

Underwhelming.

Murphy is 35 this year and we got £3m for him. Joselu is 27.

When I've seen him play, I've not been that impressed. He's scored 35 goals since 2009.

It's not great. I'm not again buying inexpensive players. We've had a few decent inexpensive buys.

But don't see this working out but obviously want to be proved wrong.

I get what some are saying to be fair, it would be nice to buy striker that's been scoring goals and is on the up. Even someone from the lower leagues would be more exciting IMO, as Abraham would have been for example.

That's not the market we're in though, unfortunately. Can only hope he's much better than the fee suggests, because at £6m Stoke are virtually giving him away. Perhaps they don't see us as a threat.