Other clubs' transfers

Greg

7 minutes ago, brummie said:

By 35m euros, not a huge amount.

That's going down to the championship plus coming within literally hours of administration for you. Coming back from that is expensive. It was also over 4 years ago, so irrelevant to current FFP situation.

Know it’s 4 years ago, and you’ve a good club with respect of selling players to cover costs, but the sale of your stadium meant you didn’t fail ffp and suffer disciplinary consequences (whatever those would be ?)- point being that you rode your luck a little and your ffp success isn’t all down to good judgement and planning. 

It’s also not the end of the window. Villa, once they’ve done their incoming business, will shift their deadwood for substantial fees, instead of paying them off. They have an advantage over us, in that they will probably shift Traore, Archer, Sansom, Nakamba, Davis, and possibly Dendoncker. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't want to sell our ground pls thanks. 

We own the stadium not the ground. Leased off the council on a peppercorn rent  of £1 on a 99 year rolling lease 

Just now, Toon88 said:

It’s also not the end of the window. Villa, once they’ve done their incoming business, will shift their deadwood for substantial fees, instead of paying them off. They have an advantage over us, in that they will probably shift Traore, Archer, Sansom, Nakamba, Davis, and possibly Dendoncker. 

I think they’ve got around 100m room still (maybe more with sales) this year, but after this year they’ll either have keep selling and increase income another way in order to keep going at the rate they are. It’s clear the Grealish sale assisted massively and without it they wouldn’t be spending anywhere like they have done. 

1 minute ago, Toon88 said:

We also have an FFP-proof option of selling some of our homegrown. Jacob Ramsey, Cameron Archer for example. Aaron Ramsey, Tim Iroegbunam, even players who have just been on loan in the championship fetch good money these days.

It isn't a coincidence that when the new owners poured money in, they addressed a large chunk of it towards the youth and academy (we're building an inner city academy just next to Witton Station, spitting distance to the ground at the moment).

TBF to Man City and Chelsea - and I don't like doing that - their owners also realised this, and trading homegrown players makes a huge difference to the FFP position of those clubs.

7 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I think they’ve got around 100m room still (maybe more with sales) this year, but after this year they’ll either have keep selling and increase income another way in order to keep going at the rate they are. It’s clear the Grealish sale assisted massively and without it they wouldn’t be spending anywhere like they have done. 

How do you think yours is going to be impacted, then, given you've spent almost 3 times as much in the last three years?

Incidentally, you say "Without the Grealish sale" as if selling a home grown player for a ton of money is an exceptional event. Selling one for 100m is, yes, but that side of transfers is going to become more and more important. 

Selling 120m of homegrown players makes a difference because you can book the entire value in one window, whereas otherwise, spending is spread out across the length of the contract (see Chelsea and their insane 8 year contracts).

Football is basically as much like Ultimate Team as the actual main game these days.

Edited by brummie

43 minutes ago, brummie said:

I genuinely never thought a bad thing about Wolves, and they are in no way whatsoever considered a 'derby' by our fans, never have been, even though the grounds are 12-13 miles apart (there are a lot of clubs around these parts).

Then when they got promoted their fans were constantly on about us, having finished above us for the first time in about 50 years with all this "mind the gap" shit, really bizarre. Obsessed with us (like Coventry, similar vibe).

So now, they can go and fuck themselves. I remember when they used to play in front of less than 4k in the third division, the uppity wankers.

You've basically described West Mids mackems tbh

8 minutes ago, brummie said:

That's basically it. I'd also add that Coventry are like a West Midlands Boro.

Got a bit of time for them though, Jimmy Hill winding the mackems up and all that.

Plus they spawned Callum Wilson.

24 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

People said that when Oscar went to China. I don’t think it says much apart from the fact that money talks.

It was similar, China could have been s major player if the Government hadn't pulled the plug.

The fact that he shook hands with Kenny Dalglish in Anfield on the day he signed the contract says it all. If he’d shook Shearer’s hand at St James’, that would have also said it all. Lee knows where the scoops are and he sure knows how to break them 

Nah fair play to Ryder.

He's done his research and at the time of writing that, was unable to find subscription to the paper copy of the Chroncile under the name of Szoboszlai.

Another sign that he had no interest in joining the club.