Other clubs' transfers

Greg

They’ve got TAA, Macallister, Szobodslai, Elliott, Jones, Thiago (last three are crap or old)

doesn’t blow me away that. They might add Lavia or Thuram, but it’s still wholesale changes to that squad, which could take time to gel, or they might flop.

No guarantee on anything, or any reason to be jealous. 

Just now, brummie said:

Who will they get to replace Fabinho in that role of constantly hacking at opponents, producing clear fouls, only for them to go entirely unpunished by Liverpool loving match officials?

It'll be spread through the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, alexf said:

Liverpool getting 40m for a rapidly declining Fabinho would be highly annoying. 

The whole thing pisses me off, every single time I see 'Player X from one of Newcastle's rivals, off to Saudi.'

I'd imagine Howe, Ashworth and Nickson would feel the same.

4 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

The whole thing pisses me off, every single time I see 'Player X from one of Newcastle's rivals, off to Saudi.'

I'd imagine Howe, Ashworth and Nickson would feel the same.

They probably aren't that arsed.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Really? You would imagine anything which affects their recruitment plans or potentially strengthens their rivals hands would make them slightly twitchy. I can imagine the Saudis might not be that arsed as they will be looking at the bigger picture from their own POV, football in SA over Newcastle United, however much their stake in a PL club is important in it's own right.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Seeing Chelsea getting bailed out, now potentially two of Liverpools players off there. I find it hard to see them not being a little bit miffed.

I don't think they'll be that bothered.

I think people who actually work in top flight football are able to seperate the wheat from the chaff, or what matters from what is just background noise. They have an ability to focus and apply themselves, which is a vital skill of getting to the top in the first place (not to mention total belief in their 'project').

Not like us as fans, constantly F5ing all day, micro-analysing things.

They won't be bothered about things they can't influence.

Edited by brummie

I mean they wouldn't have their jobs and we wouldn't have this level of investment without PIF in the first place. You can't exactly bite the hand that feeds you.

Frustrating reality is we don't really have the profile of player that would be of interest to Saudi clubs - other than maybe ASM or Almiron.

It depends if they come in for any of our players later in the window, it becomes difficult for Liverpool and Chelsea to raise any sort of serious complaint if they have happily sold players to them, unless they go for way above market value.

I get it's annoying but it's not like we haven't already recently benefited from the Saudi's interest in footy. :lol: 

I'm far more comfortable with us operating more conventionally than overtly and unreasonably relying on that connection.

As far as I can see, our ownership - dubious though it clearly is - hasn't done the Abramovich/Abu Dhabi thing whereby they've pushed a few buttons and bang, there's a new football superpower. Their presence just enables us to function properly as a football club free of Mike Ashley: i.e. one that has ambition and can lean into it's innate characteristics to progress.

They've only unshackled us, as opposed to giving us an unfair leg-up. That's the only way I want it to be. If others want to get there by (among other things) peddling their shite for unrealistic fees then let them, it'll be all the more sweeter when we surpass them.

49 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Seeing Chelsea getting bailed out, now potentially two of Liverpools players off there. I find it hard to see them not being a little bit miffed.

Eales, Ashworth and Howe will be focused on making NUFC as successful as they possibly can, I doubt they woke up in a moist bed concerned with what other clubs may or may not be doing.

Even so Chelsea have already flogged Havertz, Mount, Kovacic and RLC to European clubs. Lukaku looks like he's off to Inter too. That's already circa £200 million in the bank and a healthy amount off the wage bill. They didn't need bailing out.

Liverpool were in a very healthy FFP position coming into this transfer window.

Of course Saudi giving them extra cash toward the FFP pot will help, but they'd have both been absolutely fine without it.

Howe has said numerous times it's futile worrying about what everyone else is doing. We just need to continue to grow our commercial revenue, improved the academy and improve the first team and we'll eventually end up in a similarly healthy FFP position.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Eales, Ashworth and Howe will be focused on making NUFC as successful as they possibly can, I doubt they woke up in a moist bed concerned with what other clubs may or may not be doing.

Even so Chelsea have already flogged Havertz, Mount, Kovacic and RLC to European clubs. Lukaku looks like he's off to Inter too. That's already circa £200 million in the bank and a healthy about off the wage bill. They didn't need bailing out.

Liverpool were in a very healthy FFP position coming into this transfer window.

Of course Saudi giving them extra cash toward the FFP pot will help, but they'd have both been absolutely fine without it.

Howe has said numerous times it's futile worrying about what everyone else is doing. We just need to continue to grow our commercial revenue, improved the academy and improve the first team and we'll eventually end up in a similarly healthy FFP position.

How has a little bit miffed, turned into waking up sweating?

I just think it will have been spoken about. If my job was to manage the clubs transfer finances and we were working tirelessly to get the most out of our strict FFP budget, then other clubs are getting this handy little boost that we can't get involved with through fear of being ridiculed, it would be a slight annoyance, surely?

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Nah.  They are done. 

Jones is a player.  

Szob. MacAllister. They’ll add another 2 class players.  

Yea but that midfield will need to gel. Henderson and Fabinho would have been the experience to help them do that. Eventually they will be fine but could take time. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Nah.  They are done. 

Jones is a player.  

Szob. MacAllister. They’ll add another 2 class players.  

They've got the Spanish lad with an Eastern European surname who I thought looked good before he got injured last season too