Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

He has us so tight like, wonder how many times we have conceded more than 2 goals under him in a league game? I can't think of many at all, Man City, Liverpool, manure away, Chelsea once I think? Norwich home in the pub league. Barely a handful in around 100 league games

any other day we would have lost that 2 or 3 -0 very lucky to escape with a point

he's the best coach we've had in my lifetime like, there's not a doubt in my mind

keegan and robson did great things but in terms of pure coaching ability rafa is out on his own

You can't compare as setup was totally different - all I can judge on is the football that was played and the two managers you mention had me going to the match not only excited and looking forward to the game but knowing we had a decent chance against any team we played against.

Benitez is not better than Robson.  We finished 3rd with Dabizas and Any Obrien playing as our centre backs.

Half the players in that team probably wouldn't get a game for Benitez.  He would play Ritchie over a Robert type

Which players are getting better under his coaching.  Lascelles and possibly Shelvey (more disciplined) who else?

There's also a ceiling with these players, I'm not sure what you are expecting. They are cheap.

I think this is key. He's working with very limited resources and you can literally see the fruits of his labour on the pitch every week. The it's not good to watch chelp betrays an ignorance of what he's achieving imho.

Keegan and Robson both had players of a quality Rafa could only dream of.

I think he's amazing personally.

Benitez is not better than Robson.  We finished 3rd with Dabizas and Any Obrien playing as our centre backs.

Half the players in that team probably wouldn't get a game for Benitez.  He would play Ritchie over a Robert type

Which players are getting better under his coaching.  Lascelles and possibly Shelvey (more disciplined) who else?

He had a top 6 front 6 and keeper, though. When he didn’t have that (2000/1 season) we were bang average. I remember him dedicating a boring 0-0 late in the season against Arsenal saying ‘that one’s for the fans’.

There's also a ceiling with these players, I'm not sure what you are expecting. They are cheap.

I think this is key. He's working with very limited resources and you can literally see the fruits of his labour on the pitch every week. The it's not good to watch chelp betrays an ignorance of what he's achieving imho.

Yup, most of these players are gash, there really is not getting away from that. He's doing the best with what he's been given by our piece of shit owner. The only mistake I think he's made is Mitro and Mbabu but that happens with every manager

Mitro I 100% get but Mbabu looks like a huge rick. Seemed no need to him him when we did for what we got, especially as he's a perfect Rafa player in many ways. May have been behind the scenes stuff, maybe he wanted home or something.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/23/rafael-bentiez-welcomes-mike-ashley-return-newcastle-owner-attends/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

“I like to see the owner supporting the team,” said Benitez after a game that was as miserable as the weather and was further soured by the Newcastle supporter who threw a bottle at Palace’s players, which will spark an FA investigation.

“It is not about me, it is about him supporting the team, the club. We have to be sure everybody supports the team, starting with the owner and if we have that we will be stronger.

“I have to take this as a positive. If he has come to see the team, he can see the players, he can see what we have got and he can be sensible. Hopefully he will be ready to do something to help. I knew he was coming, I would have no problem speaking to him after this.”

Obviously he's completely right but I do sometimes wonder what the current squad think about being constantly told they're not up to scratch.

I thought the bonus thing was interesting this summer. Ostensibly you'd think they would be against new players coming to the club because they could lose their place etc. but it was reported that they were as angry as Rafa at Ashley because he raised the bar to get their bonus but withheld money to improve the squad. I guess players win whichever way you cut it really.

100% this

Good players raise the level of those around them, and vice versa. In our case, they would also allow the team to use a more expansive approach.

So poor recruitment hurts the players, unless they are already playing above their level like Blob.

Obviously he's completely right but I do sometimes wonder what the current squad think about being constantly told they're not up to scratch.

Didn't seem to affect them too much last season considering we finished top half with basically this squad and their togetherness and belief in the system being such a massive part of it.

Sir Bobby Robson is better. Rafa isn't too faraway though. Just my opinion.

Look back the pressing tactics deployed by Sir Bobby, despite having an aging Shearer and the pairs of Obrien and Dabizas, were pure magical stuff. I know Rafa is excellent at forming a solid defense even if the players are shit but that's in expense of our attacking abilities and the quality of the match.  That's the thing he can never catch Sr Bobby imo.

We had been Klopps Liverpool about 20 years ago.

He has us so tight like, wonder how many times we have conceded more than 2 goals under him in a league game? I can't think of many at all, Man City, Liverpool, manure away, Chelsea once I think? Norwich home in the pub league. Barely a handful in around 100 league games

any other day we would have lost that 2 or 3 -0 very lucky to escape with a point

he's the best coach we've had in my lifetime like, there's not a doubt in my mind

keegan and robson did great things but in terms of pure coaching ability rafa is out on his own

Have to disagree there. He's an excellent coach but I feel Keegan and Sir Bobby have the edge on him. Tactically Rafa was superb last season, but in our Championship season, with the best squad on the league I thought he got it wrong quite a few times, especially at SJP.

Personally I love all three but my order of preference will always be Keegan>Robson>Benitez.

Yes Keegan and Robson had more to spend than Rafa but let's not forget the starting position Keegan inherited. Dragging us from certain relegation to Division 3 to 3rd place in the Premier League in 2 seasons takes some beating.

Guest reefatoon

Not really sure what was funny about that post. Robson ahead of Rafa for me too, and if I had a choice of all three of them I would pick Keegan before them both. KK made players stand 10 foot tall, he was an unbelievable man manager who made his team fear nobody and feel invincible. You just have to listen to the players talk about it at that time, and the football was just glorious to boot. He got stick for defensive duties, but when you actually look at it, our defense was actually very good. You argue he might have had better players, but he also made these players so much better, filling them with total belief.

Robson was also a superb man manager and tactician, who, like Rafa also won trophy’s. In a similar way to Keegan, he built the players up to feel invincible, you could see the confidence oozing from them and that showed in the exciting fast forward play with a lot of young raw talent. He also had a lot of average players he got the absolute best out of and it was another amazing time to be at games.

Rafa is like these two when it comes to understanding what this club could be and what it means to the fans, only these three guys have understood this, that’s why there is so much admiration for them.

Personally I have to agree with Wallsend mag though on the order, as that is what has brought me the most joy. At the end of the day, I watch football for enjoyment and for me those 90 minutes each Saturday are the only thing that stops me putting Rafa ahead of both Keegan and Bobby.

Apples to oranges comparisons are generally amusing.

Robson was fully backed by the board until his dismal whereas Rafa has two hands tied behind his back.

Not to speak ill of Sir Bobby but Rafa has won the championship and la Liga with unfancied sides something Sir Bobby can't match up to sadly.

Aye, as much as I love Rafa I cant have him ahead of Robson as a coach like.

His coaching level is above Keegan’s though but he doesn’t have Keegan’s enthusiasm and charisma which was his main strength.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa is the best all-round manager we’ve had IMO in terms of detail, tactics, fitness and coaching. Both KK and Sir Bobby would keep this team up like Rafa will, but make watching it more enjoyable, however. Certain players we have would fare much better I feel under someone like KK or Bobby, Kennedy for example. What Rafa gives us is a foundation built on organisation, detail, preparation and defensive solidity that almost guarantees survival and limits thrashings and losing streaks. It comes at a cost of enjoyment and wins though.

Rafa is the best all-round manager we’ve had IMO in terms of detail, tactics, fitness and coaching. Both KK and Sir Bobby would keep this team up like Rafa will, but make watching it more enjoyable, however. Certain players we have would fare much better I feel under someone like KK or Bobby, Kennedy for example. What Rafa gives us is a foundation built on organisation, detail, preparation and defensive solidity that almost guarantees survival and limits thrashings and losing streaks. It comes at a cost of enjoyment and wins though.

The thing is though you could see 2 years ago what he was trying to do, football was shit in the champo but it was for the long term benefit of the side and payed off last year.

Problem we have is that Rafa isn't being allowed to upgrade basically, football and results would both improve under him if he was able to do it. As it is he's cutting his cloth according to the players at his disposal.

He'll never have a team playing like KK or Bobby did but given the chance we'll strike a much better balance between pragmatism and football. I didn't like the football his Liverpool team played at times but they were capable of some scintillating stuff.