Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest chopey

How got the job because he's very good at being a cowardly little piss stain that can follow orders no matter how much he disagrees with them.

First post.  :)

My take on the situation is that Rafa is very likely to sign. If he was to reject the offer (assuming it's there for him to reject) then he'd be walking away from a (potentially) ideal job which suits his personal circumstances, for no money, with no obvious job insight.

I think there's clearly enough been offered for him to consider, but obviously not enough for him to sign on the dot straight away, so my belief is that there would be enough in the contract for him to tolerate knowing full well he does have the opportunity to improve (but necessarily how he wants to) but also knowing that if someone were to come in for him he'd also have enough leeway to orchestrate an exit should he need to. I know Rafa has usually honoured his contracts but this is a unique situation for him as it's probably the only role he's had where his actually over qualified for his job in hand.

This leads me onto the second part, how the takeover affects his situation. Well in my opinion it's absolutely clear as day that Ashley has used this to his advantage and offered him terms that aren't ideal knowing that Rafa has his job security now threatened by a potentially new owner (who quite rightly) may want to have their own man.

If Rafa rejects the contract, then there is zero guarantee that the potential new owners will offer him anything, Rafa walks away with nothing; no job no compensation and no immediate return to something he's clearly obsessed with doing.

So the decision boils down to one thing - compensation.

If Rafa is to sign under this stewardship he will guarantee himself compensation should the new owners not want him. The worst case scenario for Rafa in this, is he works for Ashley is less favourable conditions but conditions that ARE workable (if these conditions were unworkable we'd have known by now), the other scenario is he would sign and get sacked meaning he'd be due compensation.

Best case scenario is that he signs and gets to re-negotiate his contract with new owners.

The caveat to all this is that despite the general confidence around here, Rafa would manage ANY club in the world. Rafa is the ultimate professional and I don't believe club ties will mean anything to him. There are clubs like, Wolves, Everton, West Ham and Villa with whom he's been linked to in the past, who I believe would snap him up when their manager's role inevitably become available.

Ultimately, I think Rafa will sign, but it will either be after the takeover gets a resolution, one way or another, or at the very last moment if the direction of the club is still unclear.

First post.  :)

My take on the situation is that Rafa is very likely to sign. If he was to reject the offer (assuming it's there for him to reject) then he'd be walking away from a (potentially) ideal job which suits his personal circumstances, for no money, with no obvious job insight.

I think there's clearly enough been offered for him to consider, but obviously not enough for him to sign on the dot straight away, so my belief is that there would be enough in the contract for him to tolerate knowing full well he does have the opportunity to improve (but necessarily how he wants to) but also knowing that if someone were to come in for him he'd also have enough leeway to orchestrate an exit should he need to. I know Rafa has usually honoured his contracts but this is a unique situation for him as it's probably the only role he's had where his actually over qualified for his job in hand.

This leads me onto the second part, how the takeover affects his situation. Well in my opinion it's absolutely clear as day that Ashley has used this to his advantage and offered him terms that aren't ideal knowing that Rafa has his job security now threatened by a potentially new owner (who quite rightly) may want to have their own man.

If Rafa rejects the contract, then there is zero guarantee that the potential new owners will offer him anything, Rafa walks away with nothing; no job no compensation and no immediate return to something he's clearly obsessed with doing.

So the decision boils down to one thing - compensation.

If Rafa is to sign under this stewardship he will guarantee himself compensation should the new owners not want him. The worst case scenario for Rafa in this, is he works for Ashley is less favourable conditions but conditions that ARE workable (if these conditions were unworkable we'd have known by now), the other scenario is he would sign and get sacked meaning he'd be due compensation.

Best case scenario is that he signs and gets to re-negotiate his contract with new owners.

The caveat to all this is that despite the general confidence around here, Rafa would manage ANY club in the world. Rafa is the ultimate professional and I don't believe club ties will mean anything to him. There are clubs like, Wolves, Everton, West Ham and Villa with whom he's been linked to in the past, who I believe would snap him up when their manager's role inevitably become available.

Ultimately, I think Rafa will sign, but it will either be after the takeover gets a resolution, one way or another, or at the very last moment if the direction of the club is still unclear.

Tl;dr: Rafa signs and works in less favourable conditions but has the safety net of compensation should there be new owners and leeway should other clubs show interest.

Rafa doesn't sign and gets absolutely nothing.

Is this HTT's new alias? :lol:

I can see the reasoning but Rafa is a man of principle, he won't just stay and work under FMA if he's not going to be backed to compete. I think he's maybe got an offer and he's waiting for the takeover confirmation.

With every passing day Rafa’s position strengthens while Ashley’s weakens. My take on it all is that the Sheikh has agreed terms and sent Ashley all the required paperwork, but Ashley is dragging his feet trying to drum up interest from elsewhere and drive the price up whilst he’s not officially committed. Rafa has told Ashley that he will leave at the end of his contract unless he gets what he wants from him (to which Ashley won’t commit) or the club is sold and the new owners have a chance to negotiate an extension (which they probably have already done informally). The ball is in Ashley’s court (again). We just have to hope the petulant child plays ball this time rather than picks it up and heads off home with it.

I can see the reasoning but Rafa is a man of principle, he won't just stay and work under FMA if he's not going to be backed to compete. I think he's maybe got an offer and he's waiting for the takeover confirmation.

If the contract on offer amounted to not being backed then he'd have rejected by now, no?

If the contract on offer amounted to not being backed then he'd have rejected by now, no?

Assuming he’s been offered a contract.Perhaps that’s why he(supposedly) stormed away from St Jame’s on Monday.Perhaps he’s actually not been offered anything yet, wanted confirmation on Monday that Ashley isn’t just stalling.......and he got no positive response from Charley.Everything’s just if, but’s and hearsay.

The contract was put to Rafa weeks ago in London and it still lies unsigned.

In that case, he’s not signed cos it’s a crap contract or he’s waiting to see if there’s any further news on a takeover.....hence his journey up to Newcastle on Monday, only to get the “no comment” BS from Charley.Which is why he stormed way from St Jame’s,with only 3 weeks left to make his mind up.

the only way rafa will be managing nufc this season is if the club changes ownership,its obvious that what he,s hanging on for .If he was in a mood on monday its because he knows time is running out for squad changes..and talking to LC would just cause anxiety anyway.I think he,ll stay with the takeover happening within a month or so but the squad will be slightly weaker for the start of play,another tough season for him to negotiate but he can plan for the next few years if the new group are ambitious enough..Any other scenario he walks

Guest chopey

the only way rafa will be managing nufc this season is if the club changes ownership,its obvious that what he,s hanging on for .If he was in a mood on monday its because he knows time is running out for squad changes..and talking to LC would just cause anxiety anyway.I think he,ll stay with the takeover happening within a month or so but the squad will be slightly weaker for the start of play,another tough season for him to negotiate but he can plan for the next few years if the new group are ambitious enough..Any other scenario he walks

I wonder if this is the same reason why Rondon hasn't signed for another club ?

If a takeover happens in late July, I'd imagine the squad will still be stronger than any scenario under Ashley's ownership. Besides, if Ashley left in mid August and we signed no fucker, at least we could finally look towards the future.

The worst case is always MA staying.

I wonder if this is the same reason why Rondon hasn't signed for another club ?

I reckon there's a lot to marki's thoughts, and if it's true then it follows a few players would be holding fire. Rondon's obviously a time-critical one, but not just Joselu might have left already if Rafa's future was known.

I'm still not sure which way it will fall - and I've (supposedly) got money riding on it with some poster who doesn't seem to be around anymore. I've been convinced Rafa was gone on 1 July forever and still think it the most likely option - unless the takeover is real and imminent and convince Rafa to stay. That's a lot of "ifs" in to answer in less than three weeks.

If he leaves and I fully expect it to happen then Charnley deserves absolute dogs abuse over this too

I f***ing despise that little cowardly p*ss stain just seeing his face makes me sick. How the hell has he got that job man

Charnley is incompetent, but its bizarre you have so much hatred for him compared to Ashley. You surely realise he can't lift a finger without consulting Ashley, the same probably goes for everyone else working at the club.

Charnley is from the area. He shits on his own doorstep and doesn’t give a fuck.

He`s not like

If he leaves and I fully expect it to happen then Charnley deserves absolute dogs abuse over this too

I f***ing despise that little cowardly p*ss stain just seeing his face makes me sick. How the hell has he got that job man

Charnley is incompetent, but its bizarre you have so much hatred for him compared to Ashley. You surely realise he can't lift a finger without consulting Ashley, the same probably goes for everyone else working at the club.

Charnley is from the area. He shits on his own doorstep and doesn’t give a fuck.

He`s not like

aye he's from blackpool.

used to live in the street behind is in great park but things got increasingly difficult after the hmrc raid and increasingly loud  comments at him by parents at the school gate.

think he pissed off to durham somewhere.

Charnley is from the area. He s***s on his own doorstep and doesn’t give a f***.

I think where he from is irrelevant.

Whilst he's prepared to be an active and willing barrier to Rafa et el and then position himself in decent clobber, grinning and embracing Mike in hugs and handashakes he can get as much hatred and abuse as in within the realms of rationality. He certainly isn't a put upon nobody. He's living his best life.

From what I've heard, there is no chance that he'll sign it so it's ether Takeover or bye Rafa

Would finally provide some welcome clarity if true.

From what I've heard, there is no chance that he'll sign it so it's ether Takeover or bye Rafa

Any idea why he won’t sign?

I’d wager a guess that it’s because he’s not an idiot

I’d wager a guess that it’s because he’s not an idiot

Well yeah sure but I just wanted to know what ridiculous constraints Ashley had put into the contract offer.