Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Rafa didn’t need hindsight to have considered Merino for Shelvey would be a better substitution than Manquillo for Ritchie. Shelvey had just bust a gut to miss a sitter and then stood with his hands on his knees as his man scored. We needed the energy in midfield and Rafa chose to put Manquillo on.

We controlled that game for the large part, missed 3 sitters to make it safe and then made the wrong change. I can’t imagine Rafa is too happy this morning.

It is worth pointing out that Rafa doesn't trust Merino as much as before injury.  I don't know why.

Thing is, who should Merino replace out of Diame and Shelvey, when Merino hasn't looked that great since returning from his injury? I think it's fair of Benitez to be leaving him out as much as he is, which is not to say I don't rate Merino highly - as I really do, he's probably my favourite player of the three, just clearly wasn't performing as well as the other two in a midfield duo.

No, I have no problems starting Diame and Shelvey at the moment, but you really can't explain why Hayden is placed above Merino in picking orders. That's why I said Merino is losing trust for whatever reason.

I'd be playing hurt Merino over Hayden any day of the week after that counter attacking masterclass earlier in the season between him and Gayle. Kidding aside, I find Hayden to be so out of form its not even funny.

Merino has given away a fair few free kicks in his performances since injury, and that seems to be something Rafa really objects to.

One of the reasons cited for Mitro not getting a game is how much of a liability he was. There were also strong rumours about Shelvey leaving in January and I wonder if that was to do with his rashness as well (could just as easily have been bollocks though).

We were coasting at 2-0 and I would imagine that Rafa removed Gayle in case he got injured, bearing in mind that he is the only fit goalscorer that we have.  Shelvey played well for 60 minutes and did a lot of work so was knackered towards the end.  I think in these cases we need to defend further up the pitch not along the 18 yard line.  However, a good point and a lot of credit to Bournemouth who have been having a good run including beating Chelsea 3-0

If you have to defend further up, this would need to entail a pressing game, and therefore even more energy expenditure. Could we have afforded that?

No, I have no problems starting Diame and Shelvey at the moment, but you really can't explain why Hayden is placed above Merino in picking orders. That's why I said Merino is losing trust for whatever reason.

Ah, fair play. I agree Merino should be comfortably ahead of Hayden in any situation whether it's closing out a game or chasing a game. He's the better defensive & offensive player from what I've seen. Hayden seems to have went off the boil a little given we became used to his industrious, 7/10 displays. I still think he can be a useful player under Rafa.

The story behind Rafa's LFC love affair - and what he craves at NUFC

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/story-behind-rafa-benitezs-love-13694571#ICID=ios_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

What a man!

I love this bit;

“The job I said to him that would be the most intelligent was Southampton.

“But even then he was absolutely fixated on Newcastle. He’d obviously identified it, and this at a time when Newcastle were chaotic and in the bottom three, while Southampton were sixth.

“But he kept saying: ‘Newcastle is a bigger club. Newcastle is a bigger club.’ This was way before he was linked to them.

“He was fixated on it and, this is supposition, but there must have been a time when he played at St James’ Park with Liverpool and thought: ‘This is my kind of place.’”

:smitten:

although ...

To those outside of Merseyside and Tyneside who do not know Benitez, there is often a portrayal of him as a cold, motionless robot.
Editorial standards are appalling these days :lol:

Enjoyed that. Well until the last line.

"One day, Newcastle fans could well do the same. This Sunday, St James’ Park undoubtedly will unite in admiration for the Spaniard."

Could swear it's at Anfield.

And it's on Saturday

Enjoyed that. Well until the last line.

"One day, Newcastle fans could well do the same. This Sunday, St James’ Park undoubtedly will unite in admiration for the Spaniard."

Could swear it's at Anfield.

And it's on Saturday

:lol: :lol:

The story behind Rafa's LFC love affair - and what he craves at NUFC

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/story-behind-rafa-benitezs-love-13694571#ICID=ios_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

What a man!

I love this bit;

“The job I said to him that would be the most intelligent was Southampton.

“But even then he was absolutely fixated on Newcastle. He’d obviously identified it, and this at a time when Newcastle were chaotic and in the bottom three, while Southampton were sixth.

“But he kept saying: ‘Newcastle is a bigger club. Newcastle is a bigger club.’ This was way before he was linked to them.

“He was fixated on it and, this is supposition, but there must have been a time when he played at St James’ Park with Liverpool and thought: ‘This is my kind of place.’”

It's why Newcastle fans love him tbh, He gets what Newcastle is all about. Often hear even on here that we are no longer a big club, but people like Rafa, and Mourinho tbf, they know a big club isn't just about the results. The fans wouldn't normally put up with Rafa's cautious style, but they respect his understanding of the club, and you would like to think they respect his football knowledge as well.

• 2 weeks later...