Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

The owner understands it, he just doesn't give enough of a shit.

Newcastle's job is to advertise Sports Direct by being in the Premier League. Provided we do that, anything else is a waste of money and effort.

If he understood football he'd have hired a proper manager ages ago rather than scouring the managerial rubbish dump for the past 10 years. It's cost him money at the end of the day, because he hasn't been able to advertise Sports Direct in the Premier League precisely due to that policy.

If everyone (or most everyone) makes progression then maybe just a decent investment on a CAM and ST plus likely LB. Not too bad and then sell fodder for depth pieces and maybe actually be able to spend on those two attacking positions even in the confines of Ashley's frugal nature.

Yeah that is too rosy I know.

If everyone (or most everyone) makes progression then maybe just a decent investment on a CAM and ST plus likely LB. Not too bad and then sell fodder for depth pieces and maybe actually be able to spend on those two attacking positions even in the confines of Ashley's frugal nature.

Yeah that is too rosy I know.

That seems perfectly reasonable, just not sure whether the fat one is capable of reasonable.

I'm starting to worry about Liverpool coming to get him back, big time. Klopp is showing no signs of learning from his mistakes whatsoever.

If that happens it happens, and it's not likely to be for a good while yet so pointless worrying about it. Liverpool are going to be challenging for the CL positions for the foreseeable future so I can't see them looking to get rid in a hurry. I reckon Klopp will be there for a couple more seasons at least.

I'm starting to worry about Liverpool coming to get him back, big time. Klopp is showing no signs of learning from his mistakes whatsoever.

If that happens it happens, and it's not likely to be for a good while yet so pointless worrying about it. Liverpool are going to be challenging for the CL positions for the foreseeable future so I can't see them looking to get rid in a hurry. I reckon Klopp will be there for a couple more seasons at least.

I agree, if I were a Liverpool fan I would want to see Klopp given a little more time, they've got a really good squad there, best they've had a a few years, problem is the competition at the top is crazy. If they do part company, I'm sure Rafa will be in the frame and would be the popular choice, but no point in worrying about that now, it's probably a long way off.

Guest Howaythetoon

I know lots of Liverpool fans would happily see Rafa back, even in place of Klopp and to be honest I reckon Rafa would have that squad of players much closer to the top 2 positions than Klopp ever will. If Liverpool do not finish in the top 4 and struggle in Europe this season he will be under real pressure. They brought him in to take them to the next level which is a genuine attempt at winning the league and the European cup again. Bear in mind Rodgers was ever so close to ending their title drought, Klopp won't come anywhere near close to doing that unless they freak a season like Leicester did and that's hardly likely.

I know lots of Liverpool fans would happily see Rafa back, even in place of Klopp and to be honest I reckon Rafa would have that squad of players much closer to the top 2 positions than Klopp ever will. If Liverpool do not finish in the top 4 and struggle in Europe this season he will be under real pressure. They brought him in to take them to the next level which is a genuine attempt at winning the league and the European cup again. Bear in mind Rodgers was ever so close to ending their title drought, Klopp won't come anywhere near close to doing that unless they freak a season like Leicester did and that's hardly likely.

Yeah this is what I'm getting from Liverpool fans as well like

They need to be careful what they wish for, outside the front 3 that Liverpool team is painfully average. I can see getting significantly worse if they sack him.

Most of those players are playing well beyond their normal level, there isn't a single midfielder or defender that another top 4 contending team would sign on that team.

Plus i bet those people weren't saying this when they qualified for the CL, fans are unbelievably fickle.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yeah this is what I'm getting from Liverpool fans as well like

I work there a lot, he's absolutely idolised far more than he is here (KK levels) and if Klopp went there would be a big social media campaign and chants at Anfield for Rafa's return and again if I were their owners, he'd win them trophies and have that squad challenging for sure. Given their level of spending and their ambition to win a title, he'd be a perfect match.

They should have went all out for Mourinho or Ancelotti. I love Klopp, he's probably my ideal type of manager, but I just don't think he has the required nous to win a title, not in this league anyway given the competition and huge pressure which now comes with managing one of the top clubs.

Guest Howaythetoon

They need to be careful what they wish for, outside the front 3 that Liverpool team is painfully average. I can see getting significantly worse if they sack him.

Most of those players are playing well beyond their normal level, there isn't a single midfielder or defender that another top 4 contending team would sign on that team.

Plus i bet those people weren't saying this when they qualified for the CL, fans are unbelievably fickle.

I look at the top 6 and see Spurs as the outstanding team in terms of their first 11, the rest all have their deficiencies and issues just as much as Liverpool do.

Again, give Rafa that squad, their level of spending and their ambition to end that long wait for a title and he would have them challenging genuinely for that title.

Regarding fans being fikle, no-one is calling for Klopp's head and I know for a fact he's highly regarded and the fans are patient and will remain so, but its more cut throat now than ever before at the top. You cannot spend all that money simply to fail which they easily could do. Klopp's future hinges on constantly qualifying for the CL, winning cups and seriously challenging for the league. They are already out of one cup and the CL is not guaranteed. They are way of competing for the league already and an FA Cup will not satisfy the fans nor the owners because all that investment in players and Anfield demands more. If he were to win the CL that would satisfy everyone, but how likely is that?

He's the most at risk of all the managers of the top clubs because Liverpool are at a stage where they are restless. They simply cannot afford to wait 5 years to complete a project. They don't expect instant success, but they do expect more than a cup final or a 3-4 way battle for the last CL spot.

Rafa has many friends still at Anfield and if they were to even consider Klopp's future, Rafa would be very very high up on the list.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT i love you dude but please shut up. If only so i can live in blissful ignorance of what might be, that's hypothetical anyways.

Its happening :lol:

Just like him leaving before a ball was kicked etc.

The only thing with Liverpool is they were kind of burnt bringing Dalglish back, so that may sour many a mind when it comes to the thought of Rafa returning.

Either way, unless Ashley matches his ambition for the club, Rafa will be off.

If Rafa couldn't win the league with Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Torres and Mascherano what makes you think he can win it with Henderson, Emre Can, Wijnaldum and Firmino?

Not for me, not a chance in hell. I just think you are vastly overrating their squad. This isn't a Klopp problem, this is a Liverpool have a vastly inferior squad to City, Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd problem. They overachieved to get 4th as it is.

Rafa wouldn't change shit as it attains to winning the league, they just don't have enough talent to compete realistically. I think the 4 names i mentioned already says it all, not one of the 4 teams mentioned would want them.

Like i said, if anyone wanted him out ( not saying they do) they'd realise pretty quickly that a lot of the players they have are not that good and being asked to perform well beyond their actual ability.

HTT i love you dude but please shut up. If only so i can live in blissful ignorance of what might be, that's hypothetical anyways.

Its happening :lol:

Just like him leaving before a ball was kicked etc.

The only thing with Liverpool is they were kind of burnt bringing Dalglish back, so that may sour many a mind when it comes to the thought of Rafa returning.

Either way, unless Ashley matches his ambition for the club, Rafa will be off.

giphy.gif

Guest Howaythetoon

If Rafa couldn't win the league with Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Torres and Mascherano what makes you think he can win it with Henderson, Emre Can, Wijnaldum and Firmino?

He damn well nearly did. Rafa transformed said players from potentials and top-class players into world-class players by the way. The current Liverpool crop are at the level Gerrard et al were before Rafa arrived or signed them.

Not for me, not a chance in hell. I just think you are vastly overrating their squad. This isn't a Klopp problem, this is a Liverpool have a vastly inferior squad to City, Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd problem. They overachieved to get 4th as it is.

I'm not vastly overrating them, I just don't rate the other teams you mentioned as highly as you seem to. Last year Man Utd were bang average, City hit and miss. Spurs I will give you that, their first 11 is the best team in the division if not the best in terms of individuals etc. Chelsea are not the side they were last season and even then, Spurs were the better team in the same way we were under KK when we finished 2nd, but we just couldn't quite get over the finishing line.

I don't think they overachieved to get 4th by the way, I think that is their level at their very best at the moment and that's the issue. If that is all Klopp can achieve, he is in trouble. Rafa would tweak that squad defensively and tactically and have it over achieving IMO.

Rafa wouldn't change s*** as it attains to winning the league, they just don't have enough talent to compete realistically. I think the 4 names i mentioned already says it all, not one of the 4 teams mentioned would want them.

Chelsea clearly wanted him in the past, winning 2 trophies along the way. They hired Hiddink twice so to say they wouldn't ever look at Rafa again is stupid IMO. Man Utd have Mourinho and City Pep. Arsenal probably need someone like Rafa and Spurs would not turn their nose up at Rafa. Rafa is more than good enough for any of the top clubs, however, football aesthetics aside.

Like i said, if anyone wanted him out ( not saying they do) they'd realise pretty quickly that a lot of the players they have are not that good and being asked to perform well beyond their actual ability.

Rafa is one of the best managers in world football, a guaranteed trophy winning manager. Just remember who his last club was before us... stylistically he was the anti-thesis of what Real Madrid is all about, but they hired him because he is capable of winning the very two trophies they expect to win every season, La Liga and the European Cup. That was his task.

Liverpool's task is to qualify for the CL every season, win trophies and genuinely compete for the title. Same as all the other top clubs. I guarantee if Klopp was sacked tomorrow or left, Rafa would be very very high up on their list and least of all because of his connection with the club, but because he can deliver or get close to deliver what they want to aim for.

Just because their squad isn't good enough to win the league right now, doesn't mean without investment and the right man it won't be in the future. Klopp, give him another 100m and I don't think he will get close because his football and tactics cannot sustain such a challenge (maybe in a freak season?), not enough to see it through over the finish line anyway. That was why KK didn't win it with us. His philosophy, style and tactics took us extremely close and only he could have taken us that far, but when we needed to shut shop and see out a game, his whole philosophy just didn't allow for that. We couldn't play any other way.

Fergie was far cuter and more cut throat, he wanted his teams to entertain and attack, knowing that is how to go about challenging, but in order to win a game, he would happily put aside his own ideology and instincts to achieve that win. KK couldn't and so we lost the title to Man Utd. Arsenal are the same under Wenger.

Fergie once said he knew they would win the league after watching us lose to Liverpool. Everyone else probably shat themselves watching us in that game, despite our loss.

It's definitely Klopp's fault that according to him they watched "100s" of CBs as alternatives to VVD and couldn't find a single one better than Klavan

That i agree with.

Also HTT, i don't disagree that they would want him just that he wouldn't make the difference that would be required to win a league title. I just think you are really underestimating the talent difference between them and the other contenders and as good as Rafa is i don't think he can do it.

The rest well let's just agree to disagree. :D

Guest Howaythetoon

It's definitely Klopp's fault that according to him they watched "100s" of CBs as alternatives to VVD and couldn't find a single one better than Klava. If he wanted a better squad he should have flogged Coutinho for the ludicrous money offered and built one. I like him but theres a lot of problems at Liverpool that are of his making.

Aye, they should have sold Coutinho especially for that money. He's a good player, but any better than say Ben Arfa in his pomp? If all Liverpool do under Klopp is challenge for CL qualification it will have been a very expensive and ultimately fruitless appointment...

Just been Reading about Rafa on Wikipedia etc., bloody hell man, he is seriously top drawer and as someone in Birmingham said to me last week... how the fuck is he our manager?!  :love:

Guest Howaythetoon

It's definitely Klopp's fault that according to him they watched "100s" of CBs as alternatives to VVD and couldn't find a single one better than Klavan

That i agree with.

Also HTT, i don't disagree that they would want him just that he wouldn't make the difference that would be required to win a league title. I just think you are really underestimating the talent difference between them and the other contenders and as good as Rafa is i don't think he can do it.

The rest well let's just agree to disagree. :D

You are massively overestimating the others to be honest. Arsenal are a busted flush. Spurs are Spurs, great starting XI and with serious talent and a very very good manager, but they have their issues too. Man City have immense attacking ability, but I'm not at all convinced they are the real deal. Chelsea will be there or there abouts, but they too have issues. That leaves Man Utd who now have their spine in place and in Mourinho a trophy winning machine who can win a league without his team being the absolute best. Even then, they are not a world-class team. They are very much like Rafa's old Liverpool in many ways.

Liverpool are a top-class team, very capable of finishing 4th and very capable of winning a Cup. But the title? No chance. Rafa has proved in the past with a Liverpool side that contained world-class players in key positions with an average (for where they were at) squad, that he could seriously challenge for the league. Players he morphed and shaped into world-class players lets not forget.

I believe, given Liverpool's spending ability, his track record and their ambition as a club to finally win that long awaited title, he would have that squad with defensive tweaking seriously competing for the title in the way Man Utd now are or Chelsea when Conte first arrived.

Bear in mind Rafa isn't about trophy signings or having a star studded side, all his success has came from a defensively strong side with a very good spine and a handful or less of top players. Liverpool have top players. Mane is a beast (TCD ;:), Firminho is an ideal Rafa player, basically 3 times the player Perez is. Henderson I'm not his biggest fan but he does everything he does very well. No complications or over doing things.

Then you have Salah, Coutinho and even Sturridge. Defensively they have good full-backs, but lack a top 'keeper and a central defence. Reina, Charagger and Skirtel/Hyppia for example in that side with Rafa as manager and they would be guaranteed a top 4 finish IMO and a serious charge at the title. Put in Gerrard and Torres pre Chelsea and you could be looking at the favourites so its not beyond the realm of possibilities.

To say under Rafa they would still be nowhear near the title is silly. I mean, we are on course for the CL... ;)