Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, Paully said:

Would love him as sporting director!

Who on earth advises him to take on jobs?! Us included - not that I'm complaining as I loved him as manager! Some of his choices these last 10 years have been crazy!

He loves managing teams.  At one point he was coaching an under 11s team because he enjoys it so much.

15 minutes ago, TRC said:

Especially as our current coach forced our previous sporting director to leave.

Is this really the narrative you're going with?

That Celta Vigo job, they were never going to be doing anymore than challenging to stay up. They don’t have the budget or the players.

No idea why they have binned him off.

The Everton job, he should have been wiser on that one.

The job in China, again he should have been wiser to accept that. They were spending big, but everyone else was spending bigger.

30 minutes ago, TRC said:

Especially as our current coach forced our previous sporting director to leave.

:lol: My bad. Must've missed that bombshell among Ashworth having his head turned by mates at a club with way less financial restrictions. 

Haven't watched a single kick of a ball but really sad to see that it didn't work out. Made the point a couple weeks back that their season has been utterly devastated by really late goals that have swung loads of games - including turning wins into losses.

Do kinda wonder what's left for him at the top level given the results at his last three jobs. Certainly nothing at NUFC. :lol:

1 hour ago, wormy said:

God this suggestion triggers me every time. :lol:

Hear me out. DM. #6. Schar as an 8 next to him. 

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The poll at the top of the page. Good lord.

From the 16th January 2022 too :D It's not even that long ago. I didn't realise you could see who voted what though, that's useful to know.

39 minutes ago, andyman said:

I don't think the game has passed him by at all. He's just taking on these enormous challenges. I have mad respect for that. Love him to bits, me.

It has like - otherwise he wouldn't be getting these kind of jobs.

Will always love him for what he did here. But his stock has fallen exponentially, especially from when he was appointed here. 

Also would not have him back in any capacity whatsoever. He'd never be anything other than a manager for one so that rules almost every other role out, but I want(ed) a clean break from everything Ashley and that includes him. 

Just saw me and you both voted no to him returning in 2022. Fair enough.

Remember Ronaldo practically crucifying someone who said he's past it about a year ago... :lol:

Edited by Menace

1 minute ago, Menace said:

Just saw me and you both voted no to him returning in 2022. Fair enough.

Remember Ronaldo practically crucifying someone who said he's past it about a year ago... :lol:

I made continuous jibes about that poll and posts in this thread and the Howe thread after Watford (H) in January 2022 when Howe proceeded to turn it round and have the success of last season.

It was clear that we had improved tactically but just needed signings to implement what he was trying to do at a good enough level. It was mid way through January, getting rid for Benitez then who was sacked by Everton the same weekend as that Watford game for doing a shite job there would've been absolutely mental. :lol:

I remember his biggest fans trying to twist the fact that he went to China as an "exciting" new project, and not a money grab at all. I loved Rafa here, and am forever grateful he did what he did with us in very shitty times, but I think him moving to China effectively wrote off his career personally.

7 minutes ago, Menace said:

I remember his biggest fans trying to twist the fact that he went to China as an "exciting" new project, and not a money grab at all. I loved Rafa here, and am forever grateful he did what he did with us in very shitty times, but I think him moving to China effectively wrote off his career personally.

I do still think it's overly presumptuous to say it was a money grab tbh. China was pushing big time and he probably did see a genuine project he could sink his teeth in to before the economy went tits up.

We saw how quickly he happily jumped at an Everton gig that was immediately toxic due to his Liverpool connections. The man just appears to want to work and makes some less than stellar decisions because of it. You could probably include coming to us in that; an Ashley-led NUFC had no right having a manager of his pedigree sound us out. :lol:

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Is this really the narrative you're going with?

I just want Eddie gone, I will spin the narrative to suit that.

1 minute ago, TRC said:

I just want Eddie gone, I will spin the narrative to suit that.

Genuinely don't know if this is a wind up or not, but fair play on the honesty.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Genuinely don't know if this is a wind up or not, but fair play on the honesty.

Honestly I don't know what went on with Ashworth and Howe, but its not inconceivable Howe didn't like Ashworth and his vision. Therefore I will bang that drum like Farage on Brexit then fuck off for a while when it all goes tits up under Jose. 

8 minutes ago, TRC said:

Honestly I don't know what went on with Ashworth and Howe, but its not inconceivable Howe didn't like Ashworth and his vision. Therefore I will bang that drum like Farage on Brexit then fuck off for a while when it all goes tits up under Jose. 

:lol: I'm admiring these self-aware takes. We need more of these.