Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

If Rafa stays, it'll mean he has concrete assurances written into his contract. No way will he put up with the same shit that he has over the last couple of years.

Even if it's written in a contract, I'd still expect Ashley to renege on it and to take his chances with a legal battle.

I can't ever see a situation where Ashley backs down and gives Rafa exactly what he wants.

Would be sad to see him go, but also a bit of a relief in many ways. It's got to the stage where it's embarrassing having a world class manager in charge of a team constantly fighting relegation.

No doubt Ashley will throw the next chump a decent wedge of transfer cash in a bid to justify Rafa walking being the petty cunt he is.

I think the team would get comfortably relegated without Benitez next season because we rely so much on his organisation and the good team spirit among the players. A lot of players from the Championship season are going to be sold in the summer which is probably right, but they will be replaced by players Thauvin who the club will see as having good sell on value, but won't fit into the managers way of players and not integrate themselves well in the team.

I hope he stays and gets what he wants. I keep saying this but it’s only going to be right for us in a situation where we sustain PL get lucky and get sold. Losing PL income a few years on and eventually coming back could wreck us long term as well.

Anyway I’m tired of stressing over NUFC. Just want to watch football with some hope and in my mind that’s with Rafa getting what’s he wants here.

What happens to the sentiment of "If Rafa goes we go" if Ashley never gives him an answer and he leaves? Can people just stop paying for their season tickets that have already been bought? Or does Ashley just win again?

Yes they can just stop paying.

Cheers, not a season ticket holder myself so wasn't sure what the position was legally etc.

Guest Howaythetoon

If the club were even remotely determined to keep him, they would have tied him up long before now. He’s not asking for the Earth, but the club won’t budge on having the bigger say on transfers and it’s a case of take it or leave it and Rafa will leave, I guarantee. The club will be quite relieved as well. He’s done his job for them, they will bet the next man will do more or less the same, this time quietly and without complaint.

A whole summer off-season will deal with any murmur of unrest and discontent.

Expect a 50k crowd first game of next season, the storm in a teacup over.

A Sherwood-Wise dream team anyone?

Think the club will "agree" to his demands, he will sign a contract and then the club will go back on their word as soon as it's time to actually start buying players or drafting training ground plans.

Ring a ding ding. He’ll be gone by Feb

Guest chopey

I think it will be Shearer all over again, Rafa's contract will just run out and Ashley won't bother contacting him, then he will announce the return of Pardew in July because Rafa left us in the lurch and Pards is here on a short term 5 year contract to sort the mess out before we sell the club just before Christmas.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he tried for Wenger. Wages wouldn’t be a problem and as he wasn’t keen on spending loads of money it’s like Ashley’s wet dream. Probably wouldn’t have a problem with the 26 and under policy.

Problem is there’s zero fucking chance of him saying yes

If Ashley cares about who he has as NUFC manager, he would keep Rafa. Absolutely no sense in forcing him out then trying to replace him with anyone decent.

If he goes I assume we’ll get an absolute joke of a desperate manager as replacement. No chance we’ll go for anyone with Wenger’s experience.

The long goodbye is nearly over.

It's gonna be weird having zero interest in NUFC, Rafa was the only thing that kept me hanging on.

What's the current list of absolute scrap heap knackers looking like these days?

Sam Allardyce

David Moyes

Tony Pulis (soon)

Mark Hughes

Alan Pardew

Gary Rowett

Gus Poyet

Darren Moore

It's gonna be weird having zero interest in NUFC, Rafa was the only thing that kept me hanging on.

What's the current list of absolute scrap heap knackers looking like these days?

Allardyce

Moyes

Pulis (soon)

Mark Hughes

Alan Pardew

Gary Rowett

Gus Poyet

Darren Moore

I will literally just switch off from all things NUFC until Ashley is gone.

Possibly the best manager we've ever had and an owner who is actively trying to get him to leave, disgusting.

Sam Allardyce

David Moyes

Tony Pulis (soon)

Mark Hughes

Alan Pardew

Gary Rowett

Gus Poyet

Darren Moore

Tim Sherwood if we're quick.