Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 16/09/17 (post match reaction from p21)

Greg

We should be at least 3-0 up, hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

In the past, this has worried me, but not under Rafa. He just gets our organisation right.

Being 1-0 down to one of Rafa's sides isn't where you want to be.

Can someone give me a half time report. I saw bits and pieces but from what I saw it was all us and again, the opposition haven't looked like scoring?

Couldn't pick out any individuals.

Not the best start, they had more possession but did little. Scored the goal and dominated from there except the last 5 minutes or so before half time. We have created chances and should have scored more. Merino is sitting well in the middle, picking up everything. Even when we have the ball he's sitting behind our player in case we lose the ball. He has mopped up well like that and it was that situation where he picked the ball up which led to the goal.

Can someone give me a half time report. I saw bits and pieces but from what I saw it was all us and again, the opposition haven't looked like scoring?

Couldn't pick out any individuals.

We're one nil up.

We scored they didn't.

Other than the finishing, that half,  is a perfect tape to show the players if they are ever low on confidence. Everyone working hard, Mbemba and Merino bossing things, and everyone really. Thus far it looks like Yedlin stepped right back in...was a little worried that he would need some time to get up to speed but so far so good.

Really wish we grabbed the 2nd though. Joselu has to convert at least one of those two chances.

:lol: How in the world did we get Merino.

Amazes me that such a player was buried on a team's bench, while the likes of Colback was in line to be starting every week :lol:

We didn't really have a bunch of competition for Merino either. Crazy the talent that is wasting away out there, just from being in the wrong situation at the wrong time.

Pinched him from under Athletic's noses didn't we?

Yeah, that's my point ... not exactly a ton of competition, as it was just Bilbao we went up against, and they didn't seem to be much of a challenge tbh.

They bid more than us and he was on his way to Spain. He said it was the lure of playing for Rafa that brought him here.

:lol: How in the world did we get Merino.

Amazes me that such a player was buried on a team's bench, while the likes of Colback was in line to be starting every week :lol:

We didn't really have a bunch of competition for Merino either. Crazy the talent that is wasting away out there, just from being in the wrong situation at the wrong time.

Pinched him from under Athletic's noses didn't we?

Yeah, that's my point ... not exactly a ton of competition, as it was just Bilbao we went up against, and they didn't seem to be much of a challenge tbh.

Because Rafa convinced him :lol: In fairness it's not exactly surprising, the lad barely played at Dortmund.

Merino's awareness. Knows exactly when he can turn and take the ball with him forward, as well as when he's got the opposition close he just makes a turn and gets time on the ball. Another beautiful pass with the outside of his foot.

Mbemba's been outstanding.

Really pleased for him and would love for him to make that LB spot his in the meantime. He was very patient last season, and has been a great pro.

Just love the guy's positive play and energy. He always tries to make things happen, and always plays with confidence.

O0

Perez looks way sharper today IMO.

I think he's been pretty sharp most of the season tbh, it's just his overall end product has been lacking.

:thup: Having a good season, Ayoze. Doing his job well, with a bit more craft and guile today.

On replay I think Joselu's second chance was slightly more difficult than I initially thought but you've still got to expect him to score.

Yeah, he's had two decent but not clearcut chances that he should have done better with.  Plenty of strikers would fluff their lines in those situations on one day and score another.  Same for Joselu.

I think he's been pretty sharp most of the season tbh, it's just his overall end product has been lacking.

No sign of him being a natural/predatory finisher but he's really making a positive contribution to our forward play. If you could blend the best bits of his play with Gayle's strengths we'd have a world beater.

No sign of him being a natural/predatory finisher but he's really making a positive contribution to our forward play.

Not just his finishing but i feel like his passing has been hit/miss too, but his work rate and overall contribution to the team off the ball has been very good most of the season imo.