Premier League 'top six' want 35% of International TV money to be 'merit based'

Dave

The income gaps between the top teams and the rest of the Premiership, and between the Premiership and the Championship, are already way too large. It puts pressure on clubs to take financial risks to stay at their level, or move up to the next one.

If its voted down by the other 14 clubs I wouldn't put it past the top six to breakaway and form a super league of 18 clubs with the following clubs likely to be invited to join:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, spurs, Man U, man city,

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ath Madrid,

Juve, Inter Milan, Roma, AC Milan,

PSG, Marseille, Lyon,

Byern M, Borrussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig,

Ajax, PSV.

I would imagine the TV money would drop the 14 like a hot brick and divert it all to the "super league" where there would be no relegation.

Good. The rest of us can enjoy a league with actual parity then.

The TV Bubble will burst at some point, there's no way it can continue to grow. I can't imagine people wanting to pay even MORE money for a sport sub. Unless there was a like a 24/7 dedicated Premier League channel that showed multiple games at once, with talk shows, analysis, historic matches, etc. shown during the week. Something will have to change at some point to keep the money flowing, I think it's only a matter of time until some sort of European Super League happens. No idea how that would work like.

so they don't have enough money? :lol:

if anything it should be f***ing reverse merit-based with the dummies at the bottom getting more in order to be able to drag themselves out of the dirt

American sports 4tw.

Weird how in such a capitalist country, sports operate on almost a communist model :lol:

Eh? It's resllly difficult not to turn a profit in American sports. It's rigged in favour of owners.  As do salary caps - benefits owners.

Considering many NBA teams don't actually turn a profit you would be wrong.

We've been worried about a Superleague for over a decade now. I suspect the economics proposition isn't quite as good as you'd think, or it would have happened already.

(1) You're essentially collapsing your domestic and CL revenue into one, so the TV money has to be better than the combination of the PL and CL money right now. Are we confident anyone will pay that much money for one rights package?

(2) Some clubs will have to face the possibility of going from top of their league every year to perennial bottom feeders. Does it actually benefit, say, Tottenham to move into a Superleague where it loses its competitive advantage in attracting players and probably gets the shit beaten out of it every year?

(3) People underestimate the role tradition and regional rivalries play in the attraction towards European football, even among internationals. It's going to matter to some people that there will no longer be any Merseyside derbies, and that will act to the detriment of the product as a whole.

We've been worried about a Superleague for over a decade now. I suspect the economics proposition isn't quite as good as you'd think, or it would have happened already.

(1) You're essentially collapsing your domestic and CL revenue into one, so the TV money has to be better than the combination of the PL and CL money right now. Are we confident anyone will pay that much money for one rights package?

I work in the media, and I can tell you this: broadcasters absolutely don't want a single superleague. If there's a superleague, it will be controlled by a single or small group of broadcasters, leaving others without lunch. As new media platforms are emerging, there's a demand for *more* sports content that's attractive to viewers, not less. Killing the domestic leagues, which offer hundreds of attractive games they can market every year, in exchange of a much smaller premium superleague, just doesn't make sense to broadcasters as a whole.

The TV Bubble will burst at some point, there's no way it can continue to grow. I can't imagine people wanting to pay even MORE money for a sport sub. Unless there was a like a 24/7 dedicated Premier League channel that showed multiple games at once, with talk shows, analysis, historic matches, etc. shown during the week. Something will have to change at some point to keep the money flowing, I think it's only a matter of time until some sort of European Super League happens. No idea how that would work like.

At some point maybe, but we are a long way from that. A Super League already exists, it's the Champions League and it's not going anywhere.

The big clubs also need to be wary that they don't kill the golden goose in their chase for quick money. What makes the Premier league attractive compared to a lot of other leagues is that every game is competitive. Compare that with Spain and Scotland for example where basically two teams are usually taking turns in winning the domestic league and the rest just make the numbers up.

At the end of the day, the system works and is printing money. Why risk the whole thing for the small chance that you might be able to print a little bit more money?

Superleague talk is an empty threat. They can go fuck themselves.

Greedy fuckers. They already make massive amounts of money and the league is not just about those top 6 or Europe. It's about teams being competitive and teams being capable of bringing in talent due to that funding.

Every team in the league adds to the entertainment value of the brand and is what has made it so successful.

What's also shameless is a club owner who actively doesn't want to compete, settles for treading water & riding the gravy train, yet expects an equal sized chunk of the international tv revenue.

I'd rather see a 50% split divided among the top 8. Clubs who are on the fringes of the Euro spots aren't left out in the cold. Zombie clubs don't deserve business class seats aboard the TV rights gravy train.

What's also shameless is a club owner who actively doesn't want to compete, settles for treading water & riding the gravy train, yet expects an equal sized chunk of the international tv revenue.

I'd rather see a 50% split divided among the top 8. Clubs who are on the fringes of the Euro spots aren't left out in the cold. Zombie clubs don't deserve business class seats aboard the TV rights gravy train.

They get caught out in the end though don't they? It's really only ourselves and the mackems that this sort of applies to and we've both been relegated as a result of behaving this way, and to be honest lumping the mackems in there seems harsh as well, they were poorly run. Most of the other teams in the league operate fairly well within their own specific limitations imo.

I didn't realise when it came out about this that it was only a percentage of it that is to be merit based. I don't actually see a problem with that, it should be related on performances. Even for the lesser clubs who are happy just to tread water, if there's a bigger incentive to even go for 7th-8th position, it might make the league better. Teams like Charlton, Fulham, WBA last season for example who'd happily reach survival then go on their holidays from March onwards pretty much might actually keep going until the end now making it more competitive if the rewards are greater.