Newcastle United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 - Post-match reaction from pg23

Greg

Not sure what's wrong with the idea of Palace having better players than us, like. They clearly do in Zaha, Loftus-Cheek, Benteke, Zakho, but as has been mentioned time and time again, the difference is Rafa. You only need to look at Townsend's form with us to see the difference between just comparing players as they are, and comparing them with what they have the potential to be under Rafa.

Loftus-Cheek...? Even better than your mate Merino?

Zaha is good, but has his contribution this season been any better than Ritchie's?

Guest firetotheworks

Not sure what's wrong with the idea of Palace having better players than us, like. They clearly do in Zaha, Loftus-Cheek, Benteke, Zakho, but as has been mentioned time and time again, the difference is Rafa. You only need to look at Townsend's form with us to see the difference between just comparing players as they are, and comparing them with what they have the potential to be under Rafa.

Zaha is good, but has his contribution this season been any better than Ritchie's?

Loftus-Cheek plays in Perez's position not Merino's and Zaha plays in Atsu's position not Ritchie's.

Palace have some good players, but it's a very unbalanced squad. Big money signings playing alongside crap and Championship fodder. The fact they have no striker at the moment and 38 year old Speroni in goal shows the disaster of their team building.

Loftus-Cheek plays in Perez's position not Merino's and Zaha plays in Atsu's position not Ritchie's.

Has Cabaye been better than Merino or Shelvey this season?

What about Townsend? Has he been better than Richie...?

And Sakho? Better than Lascelles this season?

Not many of that Palace side will make into ours.

Guest firetotheworks

Has Cabaye been better than Merino or Shelvey this season?

What about Townsend? Has he been better than Richie...?

And Sakho? Better than Lascelles this season?

Not many of that Palace side will make into ours.

None of them have had better seasons, but that doesn't mean that some of them aren't better/more effective players in the right circumstances. Drinkwater had a better season than David Silva a couple of seasons ago, for example.

I didn't mention Cabaye or Townsend, so no. Sahko is objectively a better defender than Lascelles though imo, but that doesn't mean that Lascelles hasn't had a great start to the season.

Providing their attitudes are right, Sahko, Van Aanholt, Loftus-Cheek, Saha, Benteke would comfortably get in our side under Rafa's management. They're simply better players than Lascelles, Dummett, Perez, Atsu, and Joselu.

That is a simplistic argument though. Benteke might be a good striker but he cost them £32 million, hasn't scored a goal this season and is now crocked leaving them without a centre forward to play.

They do have some 'high value' players, but they have been signed at the cost of improving the squad overall. Spending their entire summer budget on Sakho and leaving clear holes throughout the squad was another example of bad management.

Their squad is patchy and unbalanced and it's arguably the main reason they're struggling, even moreso than the manager(s).

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd have Speroni, Zaha, Benteke, Townsend, PVA and Sakho in our first team like. I don't know anything of the others. Cabaye is past it.

Guest Howaythetoon

:lol:

Aye let's take half of the worst team in the league, that will make us better.

Never seen such an overrated team in my life, I wonder how long do they need be utter s**** before people open their eyes to the reality.

March?  April?

They are a shit team, but have some decent players. As for an overrated team, who the hell has overrated them?

Guest firetotheworks

That is a simplistic argument though. Benteke might be a good striker but he cost them £32 million, hasn't scored a goal this season and is now crocked leaving them without a centre forward to play.

They do have some 'high value' players, but they have been signed at the cost of improving the squad overall. Spending their entire summer budget on Sakho and leaving clear holes throughout the squad was another example of bad management.

Their squad is patchy and unbalanced and it's arguably the main reason they're struggling, even moreso than the manager(s).

I don't see how any of this relates to my post tbh, you're making a different, much wider point that I hadn't touched upon at all.

Guest firetotheworks

Sakho is not a better "defender" like. He's better on the ball, but Lascelles is a better defender.

Why is defender in inverted commas? [emoji38]

Each to their own. Put both under Rafa and I'd pick Sakho every time.

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38]

Aye let's take half of the worst team in the league, that will make us better.

Never seen such an overrated team in my life, I wonder how long do they need be utter shite before people open their eyes to the reality.

March?  April?

You'd think managers didn't exist the way you go on about best and worst, like.

I don't see how any of this relates to my post tbh, you're making a different, much wider point that I hadn't touched upon at all.

You said this:

Not sure what's wrong with the idea of Palace having better players than us, like.

Then listed a handful of players to support that point. There's no doubt they have some players that would get a game for us, as I'd image most clubs in the league do. On the whole though, their team/squad is one of the weakest and most imbalanced in the division.

Guest firetotheworks

You said this:

Not sure what's wrong with the idea of Palace having better players than us, like.

Then listed a handful of players to support that point. There's no doubt they have some players that would get a game for us, as I'd image most clubs in the league do. On the whole though, their team/squad is one of the weakest and most imbalanced in the division.

There's no doubt they have some players that would get a game for us.

That's the beginning and end of my point.