Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

whether Luiz is good enough or not - he would absolutely lift the other players and give the club a boost, as would sturridge.

"Whether Luiz is good enough". :lol: He'd be the best player we've had in about 15 years :lol:

What? :ben:

He's certainly good enough for us, more than good enough.  But is he f*** anything like the best player we'd have had for the last 15 years, what a massive load of s***.

Who's been better? Luiz was probably in the top ten best players in the league last season

In a dominant side that walked the league aye, he's always been a classy but flawed defender.  As a defender he'd be one of the best we've had for years, but the best player overall that we've had in 15 years?, nah I don't agree.

I would say Colo at his best is one of the best players we've had in the last 15 years and Luiz is above that. Again, who's been better?

IMO him and Coloccini are quite similar, I prefer Coloccini in his prime but I admit that might be bias.  Woodgate was probably the best defender I've seen at the club in the last 15 years though .  Anyway like I said we aren't talking just defenders, we've had better players on our books over the last 15 years than Luiz.  That's not to say I wouldn't be very happy to see him here.

Only in that they both have massive hair and are South American. I liked Coloccini, but Luiz is a different class altogether, ignore the media nonsense about playstation defending/mistakes, he's outrageously good, sometimes seems as if he's too talented to be a central defender, when he's focused he's a beast.

My takeover theory(hope) is as follows:

- The takeover has been agreed, with at most just some minor quibbles over wording of the agreement.

- Stories about major differences between the parties are just part of the game to keep people off the scent.

- We will get in to January without an announcement being made.

- Our first player acquisitions will be made prior to any takeover announcement, but will be strangely ambitious given no announcement.

- Mid-way through January the takeover will be announced, with it being confirmed the announcement was delayed to keep selling clubs from jacking up their prices for a now cashed up NUFC.

- That the reason Rafa is apparently so calm in the face of our current form is he knows and has orchestrated all of this, and he knows what is transfer kitty looks like.

Reckon this is the most plausible theory so far. It's probably in the club's interests for things to be uncertain at the moment, so we don't get rinsed on fees. Even if it's causing us all blood pressure problems. :lol:

I'm firmly of the belief that the next major update will be something official.

I want to believe but I can't quite manage it.

- The takeover has been agreed, with at most just some minor quibbles over wording of the agreement.

- Stories about major differences between the parties are just part of the game to keep people off the scent.

- Our first player acquisitions will be made prior to any takeover announcement, but will be strangely ambitious given no announcement.

- Mid-way through January the takeover will be announced, with it being confirmed the announcement was delayed to keep selling clubs from jacking up their prices for a now cashed up NUFC.

- That the reason Rafa is apparently so calm in the face of our current form is he knows and has orchestrated all of this, and he knows what is transfer kitty looks like.

Reckon this is the most plausible theory so far. It's probably in the club's interests for things to be uncertain at the moment, so we don't get rinsed on fees. Even if it's causing us all blood pressure problems. :lol:

Just noticed your profile pic Ian W. If you look at the full picture for that you can see my head popping up above the bloke in the brown leather jacket  ;D ;D

Its when we had that little hut as the club shop.

Great memories.  :)

Just noticed your profile pic Ian W. If you look at the full picture for that you can see my head popping up above the bloke in the brown leather jacket  ;D ;D

Great memories:)

Indeed. Tino Asprilla turning up on a snowy February day at SJP. Then playing a blinder on his debut at Boro a few days later. Still fresh in my mind that.

Great memories:)

Indeed. Tino Asprilla turning up on a snowy February day at SJP. Then playing a blinder on his debut at Boro a few days later. Still fresh in my mind that.

I remember it clearly, the 20 past sports report on sky news had some guy on saying he didn't know why we'd signed him, because "the guy was a nutcase"

Which turned out to be correct. Probably the most talented player we've ever had but a nightmare to manage with his off the pitch behaviour.

Our understanding is that PCP have serious plans for Newcastle United; a Newcastle United with Rafa Benitez at the helm. They want to realise those plans; have funds available that would bring continuous improvement to the playing squad over the next three transfer windows and beyond.  They do not see relegation as a threat to those plans and indeed, those plans show that they and their investors are in this for the long haul. 

​How do we know? Because we asked them!

Put simply, they are Ashley’s only hope if he seriously wants that clean break; selling to someone who wants to take the club forward and provide the investment needed to take the club to that next level that he himself says he cannot provide.

She apparently spoke to the Liverpool fan groups during that takeover bid, maybe my glass is more than half full here :lol:

Yeah, I can't see them announcing the takeover until after the window. It'll just drive prices and wage demands up

Intrigued by this train of thought actually, I mean "we've"  managed to crack the code of how to beat the prices going up on behalf of Staveley et al so hopefully people at other clubs aren't able to.

I mean after a decade of penny pinching us ringing up to buy David Luiz or Daniel Sturridge isn't going to ring any alarm bells like [emoji38]

Yeah, I can't see them announcing the takeover until after the window. It'll just drive prices and wage demands up

Intrigued by this train of thought actually, I mean "we've"  managed to crack the code of how to beat the prices going up on behalf of Staveley et al so hopefully people at other clubs aren't able to.

I mean after a decade of penny pinching us ringing up to buy David Luiz or Daniel Sturridge isn't going to ring any alarm bells like [emoji38]

There's no chance of us signing either player permanently though so what's the giveaway? We're also in a perilous position so isn't realistic that a club in our predicament would throw a bit of caution to the wind?

If we get the majority of our business done early and under the radar (like we normally do) I don't see why we couldn't keep it quiet.

Just because the potential new owners have money doesn't mean they'll want to get bent over a barrel in their first transfer window. Value for money isn't just a Mike Ashley thing, it's something that every club owner looks for. Ashley is just a cheap bastard and takes it to a crazy degree.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no chance of us signing either player permanently though so what's the giveaway? We're also in a perilous position so isn't realistic that a club in our predicament would throw a bit of caution to the wind?

If we get the majority of our business done early and under the radar (like we normally do) I don't see why we couldn't keep it quiet.

Just because the potential new owners have money doesn't mean they'll want to get bent over a barrel in their first transfer window. Value for money isn't just a Mike Ashley thing, it's something that every club owner looks for. Ashley is just a cheap bastard and takes it to a crazy degree.

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

If we go in for the likes of Luiz and Sturridge even on loan Ashley has sold the club, and everyone knows it.

:lol: so true.We're all doing mental gymnastics to convince ourselves theres reason behind everything, and that we're in for a great January.

The clubs we (hopefully) will be trying to buy off are not going to be so stupid they don't know who owns us and will give a massive discount to Mike compared to any new owner.

Just because the potential new owners have money doesn't mean they'll want to get bent over a barrel in their first transfer window. Value for money isn't just a Mike Ashley thing, it's something that every club owner looks for. Ashley is just a cheap b****** and takes it to a crazy degree.

If we go in for the likes of Luiz and Sturridge even on loan Ashley has sold the club, and everyone knows it.

OK

Just because the potential new owners have money doesn't mean they'll want to get bent over a barrel in their first transfer window. Value for money isn't just a Mike Ashley thing, it's something that every club owner looks for. Ashley is just a cheap b****** and takes it to a crazy degree.

OK

Really will be very obvious imo. Moves for Kenedy on loan and such and I think you could look at it either way but if we go for proper PL quality and intend to pay the fees (even loan) and wages that would take then it's not Ashley in charge anymore.

OK

Really will be very obvious imo. Moves for Kenedy on loan and such and I think you could look at it either way but if we go for proper PL quality and intend to pay the fees (even loan) and wages that would take then it's not Ashley in charge anymore.

I take your point but if the sale of the club hinges on us being in the PL, isn't it feasible that Ashley would sanction moves that are non-typical?

I'd say going for David Luiz & Sturridge is about as Ashley as you can get - tentative enquiries, nowt doing....'we tried'.  Now, if we actually sign either of them i agree we can all collectively toast our new MILF owner.

OK

I would agree with that tbh, but these are just rumours anyway, probably turn out to be bollocks most likely. The Kenedy signing though, is being pushed as a done deal, so we are still pretty clueless as to where the takeover is really.

OK

I take your point but if the sale of the club hinges on us being in the PL, isn't it feasible that Ashley would sanction moves that are non-typical?

I'd say going for David Luiz & Sturridge is about as Ashley as you can get - tentative enquiries, nowt doing....'we tried'.  Now, if we actually sign either of them i agree we can all collectively toast our new MILF owner.

First bit could possibly be right but I don't really see how that would lower prices, has just as much chance to raise them surely?

Anyway neither of us know nowt, I just thought it was a hopeful viewpoint in some way.

OK

First bit could possibly be right but I don't really see how that would lower prices, has just as much chance to raise them surely?

Anyway neither of us know nowt, I just thought it was a hopeful viewpoint in some way.

f*** knows! I don't care either way tbh, it's not like it's my money.  In a way it'd be nice to see us pay over the odds for someone just because we could. We've been shopping in the football version of Netto for far too long

Does anyone think that relegation isnt the end of the world as long as the takeover is done? It's just postponing her plans for another 12 months but we'll get there. The problem I have is relegation with Ashley still here as that'll likely end any hope of her takeover.

Aye. Being in the Championship is massively less attractive and a totally different proposition. Plus the fact you'd probably have to rebuild all over again with no guarantee of successful promotion - just look at how Aston Villa, Norwich, Sunderland etc are doing.