Newcastle United 0-1 Bournemouth - 04/11/17 - post match reaction from page 27

Greg

Total agreement. The world and it’s dog can see that certain personnel would have made a difference today and others who have been used are just absolute garbage.

It worked for Benitez for a few weeks but he has to stop being so stubborn now, it’s costing us.

That’s two goals Ayoze has been at fault at in a row. He didn’t even jump for that header today.. turned his back. And a weak challenge in the middle cost us on Monday. How many chances does someone get?

Joselu tries but he just doesn’t have the quality.

Manquillo is just poor but he was never going to be a regular this season had Dummett not gone to the knackers yard.

It’s not like other seasons.. the effort is there. We pass it around really well in spells.

No consistency though. We miss Merinos simple calm passing.

Mitrovic can easily do what Joselu has been doing, except is far more likely to take a chance. He has to start next game.

I’d love Murphy to do well but he looks and plays like a broken man. Maybe being away from his brother is an issue..

Frustrating day. Writing was on the wall after 25 mins...

The perfect assessment. :thup:

I know Joselu is utter shite, but Manquillo - Atsu on the left isn't helping. So many attacks break down because they seemingly cannot communicate with each other and just stand there waiting for the other to make a move. Manquillo being one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us in the PL obviously doesn't help.

This is arguably the only bad result we’ve had this season but the drama at ft after a loss is pathetic.

Really?

It's ridiculous how people think stuff like that.

We've had a few s*** results tbh, and we've been very fortunate in some games too. To say this was the only bad result we've had is a bit baffling mind.

Apart from West Ham and a little spell against Stoke in the first half the performances have been average to poor and with that squad of players it doesn't surprise me much but I can't accept the continued playing of players who are totally adding to the problem ten fold and that's down to the manager.

This is arguably the only bad result we’ve had this season but the drama at ft after a loss is pathetic.

Really?

It's ridiculous how people think stuff like that.

We've had a few s*** results tbh, and we've been very fortunate in some games too. To say this was the only bad result we've had is a bit baffling mind.

We’ve narrowly lost games against similar sides away from home that could have gone either way. I stand by the only result you can look at on paper and say is a bad one is this. We’ve barely added any first team players to a Championship squad and we could easily have got something from every game aside maybe Spurs.

We had a perfectly good goal disallowed in the first half, if that correctly stands, we win this game, I'm sure of it. Fine margains, but that's the kind of side we are now, we can't afford mistakes from either our players or the officials (unless those mistakes are in our favour of course).

We had a perfectly good goal disallowed in the first half, if that correctly stands, we win this game, I'm sure of it. Fine margains, but that's the kind of side we are now, we can't afford mistakes from either our players or the officials (unless those mistakes are in our favour of course).

That's possible yes but that means that as soon as a decision goes against us we can't win? I don't really get that. It was in the first half, still plenty of football to play

We are set up as a team that plays best with a lead, we are not a team that cna chase a game. We don't dominate, every game is likely to be a "one goal in it" type. The point I'm making is we are set up in a system where there is no margin for error.

Think we'll be back to 4-2-3-1 next match anyway, even aside from it being Man United. We were noticeably light in the middle when they had the ball for basically the whole match.

Aye they countered us at ease. We never had control even when we were playing well

We had it coming. They outplayed us in 2nd half and we missed our chances in 1st half. I'm still for 4-4-2 because it was pretty effective in the 1st half... 2nd half, I don't know how to describe it.

I fast forwarded through most of the 2nd, could see this one coming after missing our chances in the first and that awful decision by the linesman (who should be fine for that honestly it was a simple one to call as offsides come, he's got to be 100% sure Gayle is offisde to flag, it wasn't a fast break away or anything).

The squad and  therefore team are bereft of quality in the areas that are key.

Our best and most influential player is arguably a young gifted lad who is having his first season in a British league.

Save for a couple of decent (let's not get carried away that's all they are), centre halves, plus Shelvey and Ritchie the rest range from bang average to f***ing p*ss poor.

Pretty much this.

It's easy to blame the manager, but he literally has fuck all to work with, especially up front.

Our best and most influential player is arguably a young gifted lad who is having his first season in a British league.

Save for a couple of decent (let's not get carried away that's all they are), centre halves, plus Shelvey and Ritchie the rest range from bang average to f***ing p*ss poor.

Pretty much this.

It's easy to blame the manager, but he literally has f*** all to work with, especially up front.

Agreed but why did he chose to prioritise the signing of a wide player who isn't anywhere near ready for the PL and a CB, where we were already well stocked, as our two biggest signings in the window, for me the priority of our transfer business was way off, we should have been looking at the number 10 situation and splurging on one, since he obviously doesn't like Mitro, get rid and replace him with someone a lot better than Joselu. Only then bring in players you can develop, or try to slightly upgrade another position.

Pretty much this.

It's easy to blame the manager, but he literally has f*** all to work with, especially up front.

Agreed but why did he chose to prioritise the signing of a wide player who isn't anywhere near ready for the PL and a CB, where we were already well stocked, as our two biggest signings in the window, for me the priority of our transfer business was way off, we should have been looking at the number 10 situation and splurging on one, since he obviously doesn't like Mitro, get rid and replace him with someone a lot better than Joselu. Only then bring in players you can develop, or try to slightly upgrade another position.

I think we all know Mike prioritised the business that he felt had most resale value etc, Murphy being young and English fit the bill, someone like Reina or Caballero not so much. Don't think Rafa prioritised Murphy over other positions, he was fucked over .

Pretty much this.

I'm sure he was expecting the other targets we were after to be bought, and didn't think for one minute that was the bulk of his budget.

Imagine the difference just bringing Abrahams in would have made to this side. Fucked over by Ashley once again.

Played well in the first half, created enough chances but didn't take any of them. Second half was poor.

Joselu for Perez sub was disastrous.

Officials were dire.

I don't want to jump to conclusions on players but Murphy made absolutely no impact on the game when he came on, didn't look quick, didn't press quickly. Maybe he needs time and games but it doesn't look great.

We knew the limitations of the squad after August 31st. We knew it was going to be a slog. And here we are.

We're still in a decent position in the league, so today's poor performance and result shouldn't cause us to wail or panic, but however much we're lacking firepower up front our problems and deficiencies extend throughout the team. The wide players are mediocre at best. Manquillo isn't good defensively but just like Dummett before him, he's showing that full backs with technique and a capacity to attack are a necessity rather than a luxury. And without Merino, we're getting nothing from the centre of midfield, no pace or ball retention or penetration in the final third, a lack of sharp short passing, and thanks to Shelvey little defensive cover. We know that our squad isn't great, but I do think we should be reintegrating or making better use of the likes of Mbemba, Aarons, and Mitrovic.

Harry Arter goading fans when they scored. Absolute prick.

I don't like Arter but we've got players who do the same like

May do - can't say I've noticed. But it was completely at odds with the atmosphere the game was played in. As bewildering as it was unsavoury.