Would PCP actually be a good owner for NUFC?

Dave

I’d be dead set against a new stadium, to lose 125 years history of SJP for what, an extra 10K seats or something? No thanks. We have a great stadium, a beautiful stadium that just needs some modernising. If we can’t expand it so be it. As for the atmosphere, the shape of the stadium doesn’t help, but at its best, there is nothing comparable in England in terms of passion and noise so it’s not exactly a problem. Give the fans a winning team and the atmosphere will be rocking. To be fair, it’s not been bad under Rafa, probably the best it’s been since Sir Bobby’s time here and in many ways even better thanks to the flag displays and general backing of the team given how average the team actually is. Mind, that’s thanks to Rafa who has become a figurehead of the club we all love, respect and trust, even when things are not going so well.

A new stadium would cost 300m or more, which is false economy given we already have a world-class stadium in an enviable location that is the heart beat of the city on a match day. Tap into that and build on it I say. I’m sure we can expand the stadium anyway, and it wouldn’t cost anywhere near as much as a new stadium.

Back to any new would be owners, it’s a must that facilities are improved because we are almost amateur compared to others in that regard when it comes to training, coaching, player development, scouting etc.

I do love the foundation though, it does some great work and is an area of the club that also needs to be invested in regularly.

Disagree a bit, I thought the plans for Castle Leazes Moor Stadium were a brilliant idea. I still don't understand how increasing the size of the town moor became such a negative to allow the stadium to be built.

Guest Howaythetoon

We have a 53k seater stadium bang in the centre of the city with 125 years of history. I would not swap that for an extra 10k seats to whatever, no way.

End of the day, if we become more successful, that will attract more people. If it gets to the level we outgrow the stadium then we're going to be doing very well on the field. Absolutely no point worrying about it at this point in time.

Guest Howaythetoon

The plans were very good indeed, I’m in no doubt a fantastic stadium would have been created, but in an age where history and culture is being eradicated from our game, I think what we have here in SJP is something unique and we must cherish it and cling onto it.

Guest firetotheworks

The ideal for me would be keeping the location but having a different stadium that allows for a much better atmosphere, slightly moved to allow for having a bigger stand that doesn't interfere with Leazes Terrace. The alternative would be to just expand the Gallowgate similar to that Spurs stand, renovate the rest of the stadium, and bring in safe standing.

Guest firetotheworks

i really really hope we dont turn into a tourist destination club like man city are now along with Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and soon to be Spurs

All those people coming over, booking hotels, spending money in the city because the local football club is considered attractive. Awful stuff.

[emoji38] :thup:

[emoji38] would be amazing for the city, people and region as a whole. We should all be desperate for it to happen.

Have to disagree tbh. Yes, attracting new people to the city would be great, but if the cost of that is tourists coming to matches and contributing nothing then I'd rather not tbh. It's something that's ruining the atmosphere in stadiums up and down the country already.

Anyway, this is us getting way too far ahead of ourselves.

Guest firetotheworks

The plans were very good indeed, I’m in no doubt a fantastic stadium would have been created, but in an age where history and culture is being eradicated from our game, I think what we have here in SJP is something unique and we must cherish it and cling onto it.

The location, absolutely, but there's nothing historical or cultural about the actual stadium imo.

The location, absolutely, but there's nothing historical or cultural about the actual stadium imo.

It's not just location in terms of it being in the city centre. St. James' Park may be in a different form now but the various revisions of if over the years are a massive part of the history of Newcastle United. The fact we are on the same site, where football has been played since the formation of the club in 1892 is significant.

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye, let’s juts forget about 125 years of games, players, matches, performances etc.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, let’s juts forget about 125 years of games, players, matches, performances etc.

Eh? SJP has only been in its current form since 2000. :lol: The oldest part of it is only like 24 years old.

I was all for the Castle Leazes stadium at the time, it would have been a brilliant way to keep the stadium at the heart of the city and allow us to expand at the same time. The planning restrictions at St James will always get in the way of building extra capacity should we really take off again like we did in the Keegan days.

Eh? SJP has only been in its current form since 2000. :lol: The oldest part of it is only like 24 years old.

Bit of grass in middle, had football played on it by NUFC since 1892.

Guest firetotheworks

Bit of grass in middle, had football played on it since 1892.

Hence why I made a distinction between the location and the actual stadium.

Honestly, nee one reads anything properly on here anymore.

It's not just location in terms of where it as and it being in the city centre. St. James' Park may be in a different form now but the various revisions of if over the years are a massive part of the history of Newcastle United. The fact we are on the same site, and St. James' Park has been embryonically developed over the years as the same ground where football has been played since the formation of the club in 1892 is significant.

The current bricks and mortar (or should that be cladding and glass) for then yes - very little historic or cultural value but I would hate to see us move given the location and history of St. James' Park and the surrounding land use prevents us from doing a 'Spurs'.

Guest firetotheworks

It's specifically the newest of the various forms that I'm talking about when I say the stadium, like. If that wasn't clear.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought you hated SJP, HTT? Remember you always calling it a shit-hole :dontknow:

Or was that down to it not being kept as clean as it should be? I'd agree with that, like.

It was the entire city that he claimed was a shit hole. I'm never ever going to let it go. :lol:

The ideal for me would be keeping the location but having a different stadium that allows for a much better atmosphere, slightly moved to allow for having a bigger stand that doesn't interfere with Leazes Terrace. The alternative would be to just expand the Gallowgate similar to that Spurs stand, renovate the rest of the stadium, and bring in safe standing.

Should just install thousands of these:

f3208c91c042f5c6be563a6bfbfb17cf.jpg

Should just install thousands of these:

f3208c91c042f5c6be563a6bfbfb17cf.jpg

Nice of charnley to model it

Guest Howaythetoon

Thought you hated SJP, HTT? Remember you always calling it a s***-hole :dontknow:

Or was that down to it not being kept as clean as it should be? I'd agree with that, like.

It was the entire city that he claimed was a s*** hole. I'm never ever going to let it go. :lol:

Bull shit. I never claimed that at all, I just pointed out that there are some parts of our city that are a shit hole or needs redeveloping.

POOT I love SJP, it just needs cleaning up and modernised a bit. It’s still for me of the best staidum’s in the world.

Guest firetotheworks

Thought you hated SJP, HTT? Remember you always calling it a s***-hole :dontknow:

It was the entire city that he claimed was a s*** hole. I'm never ever going to let it go. [emoji38]

Bull shit. I never claimed that at all, I just pointed out that there are some parts of our city that are a shit hole or needs redeveloping.

POOT I love SJP, it just needs cleaning up and modernised a bit. It’s still for me of the best staidum’s in the world.

I can find the post if you want, like. [emoji38] Fair enough if you just put it across wrong or you've changed your view on it.