Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

It's nonsense.  If you said before the game that we should open up and attack them you'd be rightly decried as an idiot.

Rafa and the team were a hair away from getting us a point against possibly the best team the PL has ever seen, a team who are steamrollering their way through much better teams than us, a team whose winger cost more than our entire first XI.

I’ve rewatched the first half and again, we were abysmal, the worst I’ve ever seen us play at home.

I find this very hard to believe. I can think of the Portsmouth defeat under SA and the Liverpool 0-6 straight away. There must be plenty more.

You missed the Jesus and debruyne chances for a start, in your terms of chances being from five yards outn maybe but in mine if you have a clear shooting opportunity from outside the box and within 25 yards then that is a chance to score. Not really bothered what the opinion of some people around you say either I form my own opinion on what I see and don’t need to get back up on what I think. You have your opinion I have mine and as I said earlier the opinions are not going to change on here.

Like I said, it depends how you define a chance.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

It's nonsense.  If you said before the game that we should open up and attack them you'd be rightly decried as an idiot.

Rafa and the team were a hair away from getting us a point against possibly the best team the PL has ever seen, a team who are steamrollering their way through much better teams than us, a team whose winger cost more than our entire first XI.

I’ve rewatched the first half and again, we were abysmal, the worst I’ve ever seen us play at home.

I find this very hard to believe. I can think of the Portsmouth defeat under SA and the Liverpool 0-6 straight away. There must be plenty more.

You missed the Jesus and debruyne chances for a start, in your terms of chances being from five yards outn maybe but in mine if you have a clear shooting opportunity from outside the box and within 25 yards then that is a chance to score. Not really bothered what the opinion of some people around you say either I form my own opinion on what I see and don’t need to get back up on what I think. You have your opinion I have mine and as I said earlier the opinions are not going to change on here.

Like I said, it depends how you define a chance.

Yeah I agree  :thup:

Hopefully we get taken over, we get some sound investment over the summer and we don’t ever have to play the way we did again at home and we have proper quality players on the pitch who can play football. What’s done is done ffs let’s look on to tomorrow!

Nah, those were bad performances but again our players did f*** all on the ball, not a thing. It was literally 35 minutes of Man City knocking it about, scoring, threatening and us just kicking it away when it come to us. Nothing football.

You’re saying it was the worst tactical display you’ve seen at home, not the worst performance.

No I didn’t, there was no tactics unless you call camping out on your own box and hoofing it when we had the ball tactics. It was total surrender. Shelvey shooting from kick off was like saying this is our only opportunity to shoot.

Absolute nonsense. It was a very tactical and disciplined set up.

People saying "we could have been 3 or 4 down at HT", not really buying that, as all their other chances were before the goal. It's quite clear our game plan changed after the goal, and everyone knows that goals changes games, especially the first goal of a game.

Most of the 52,000 screaming Jawdees inside SJP seemed to understand who we were up against, how big the gulf in class was, why we set up the way we did, and stayed with the team for the whole game.

They don't do that for poor performances nowadays no matter who we are playing, so that would probably indicate that what the team and the manger were doing was largely appreciated.

Yeah, still bemused that some people are continuing with the horse s*** as well. I put it down to an emotional overreaction, but some have battened down like my dad's brother who voted for Trump.

No overreaction at all just telling it how it is. As for far superior teams as some on here keep saying maybe Bristol City should have played the same way the other week then with a team assembled for pennies if they had I don’t think they would be in the semi final right now. That performance until the subs come on was shocking and in 46 years of watching football I have never seen any Newcastle team play in that fashion what happened for the first half. You’re not going to change my mind or others and vice versa and I accept that it’s football and footballs always been about opinions but it damn well certainly wasn’t a overreaction.

Yeah, still bemused that some people are continuing with the horse s*** as well. I put it down to an emotional overreaction, but some have battened down like my dad's brother who voted for Trump.

No overreaction at all just telling it how it is. As for far superior teams as some on here keep saying maybe Bristol City should have played the same way the other week then with a team assembled for pennies if they had I don’t think they would be in the semi final right now. That performance until the subs come on was shocking and in 46 years of watching football I have never seen any Newcastle team play in that fashion what happened for the first half. You’re not going to change my mind or others and vice versa and I accept that it’s football and footballs always been about opinions but it damn well certainly wasn’t a overreaction.

Well football's moved on from 46 years ago, it's a shame in many ways, but we can't really turn the clock back unfortunately.

I love when people say, "telling how it is." As opposed to the rest of us, telling specifically how it isn't

I love when people say, "telling how it is." As opposed to the rest of us, telling specifically how it isn't.

Cringeworthy

Rest of us aye must be excluding a few on here for a start. see you didn’t actually comment on the point I raised though cmon let’s here your football knowledge then as to why a team costing pennies playing a far superior team actually not only got a result but actually beat a team playing a way which nullified and counteracted in the main the threat of that superior team.

Well football's moved on from 46 years ago, it's a shame in many ways, but we can't really turn the clock back unfortunately.

I’m talking about the whole 46 years and not actually 46 years ago. Never seen any team play like that formation in my life with no attempt to even try and combat the threat. You said yourself it was the players to which I said I had some sympathy with so you obviously thought the way we played was not up to scratch either. I’ll just let the sheep bleat on anyway from now I’ve made my point.

I’m talking about the whole 46 years and not actually 46 years ago. Never seen any team play like that formation in my life with no attempt to even try and combat the threat. You said yourself it was the players to which I said I had some sympathy with so you obviously thought the way we played was not up to scratch either. I’ll just let the sheep bleat on anyway from now I’ve made my point.

I said the tactics were fine, the players weren't good enough to execute them to get a better result. A more open approach would have seen us getting thrashed IMO, so I can perfectly understand why Rafa went with the defensive formation. If we could maybe swap a couple of players from both sides then we could have had a bit more of a go.

I’m talking about the whole 46 years and not actually 46 years ago. Never seen any team play like that formation in my life with no attempt to even try and combat the threat.

This suggest you don't understand our tactics against Man City and that you don't understand how tactical shape, positioning, discipline etc. works.

I said the tactics were fine, the players weren't good enough to execute them to get a better result. A more open approach would have seen us getting thrashed IMO, so I can perfectly understand why Rafa went with the defensive formation. If we could maybe swap a couple of players from both sides then we could have had a bit more of a go.

Do again you’re saying the team didn’t perform well which is the whole point I have been saying. I’ve not once criticised Rafa for that performance as I would not think after seeing a completely different and competitive formation against city less than two years ago he would then allow a team to walk the ball towards the goal without even a whimper of a challenge. I wasn’t in the dressing room so I don’t know for sure and that’s why I said I had sympathy with what your said.