The other games today 2018/19

Greg

I'm quite amused at just how well semi-pro Ranheim are doing in the top division in Norway. I mean, the league is all pro, so they had to change from semi-pro to professional before the season started - but they're still very semi-pro. First team this minor in the top division in decades, and they're currently f***ing Rosenborg about in their first ever pro-derby and are placed second in the league [emoji38] I love it. Literally feels like a real life game of FM as they shouldn't be anywhere near the top division.

Easily done in tin pot leagues tbh.

It's a decent attempt, but the fact it's been decades since it happened kinda dampens the burning sensation :lol:

You were supposed to bite. Damn you.

I'm quite amused at just how well semi-pro Ranheim are doing in the top division in Norway. I mean, the league is all pro, so they had to change from semi-pro to professional before the season started - but they're still very semi-pro. First team this minor in the top division in decades, and they're currently fucking Rosenborg about in their first ever pro-derby and are placed second in the league [emoji38] I love it. Literally feels like a real life game of FM as they shouldn't be anywhere near the top division.

:thup: I've got a bit of an interest in Norwegian football, given that my g/f lived there for years and her kids still live over there (they are grown up now) I'm told the standard is pretty poor. I remember when Rosenberg used to be a fairly big name, and omni-present in the CL group stages,

I'm quite amused at just how well semi-pro Ranheim are doing in the top division in Norway. I mean, the league is all pro, so they had to change from semi-pro to professional before the season started - but they're still very semi-pro. First team this minor in the top division in decades, and they're currently fucking Rosenborg about in their first ever pro-derby and are placed second in the league [emoji38] I love it. Literally feels like a real life game of FM as they shouldn't be anywhere near the top division.

:thup: I've got a bit of an interest in Norwegian football, given that my g/f lived there for years and her kids still live over there (they are grown up now) I'm told the standard is pretty poor. I remember when Rosenberg used to be a fairly big name, and omni-present in the CL group stages,

In the mid-90s/late-90s, the standard was quite good. Then teams got carried away and spent more money than they had buying into the hype, Rosenborg derailed after their ever-present manager retired and the standard fell through from almost being on par with Holland to having issues with beating Czech sides. Only recently gotten somewhat decent again, and that's mainly due to the fact Rosenborg have regained their iron grip on the league and started to do less than absolute shit in Europe, bringing in some money to themselves and the league again so they can get good players. It being near impossible for teams from shit leagues to get into the CL these days of course hampers the possibility of the shit leagues bettering themselves like they did in the 90s as they can't access the big money needed. Really hate the closed shop UEFA are turning the CL into.

Derailed a bit from the Ranheim point, so spiraling back. They really shouldn't be in the top division even though the standard of it is quite poor. Their entire annual budget is equal to Nicklas Bendtners annual wage at Rosenborg :lol: And the league below is filled with professional teams also with much larger budgets, and players on pro contracts.

Agreed, Kaizero. :thup: I hope to take in a game when we visit some time. The family live near Oslo, so the local side is Valarenga. Step-son and step-son in law both follow English football (Newcastle and Man United, respectively)

Really hope Salzburg nail this.

Why?

A team from outside the major leagues winning a European trophy (even if they're sponsored by Red Bull) would make me feel there's still some hope for "lesser" teams in Europe.

:thup:

Is France a major league?

Yes.

Haven't won a European trophy for 25 years.

There's not a French side with the history of Benfica.

A full 40 seconds after stoppage time was supposed to end :lol:

Was a bit more than that I think. No substitutions in the added on time either. Hughes will be furious.

Was a bit more than that I think. No substitutions in the added on time either. Hughes will be furious.

Cedric was down injured for a bit in stoppage time

There was an injury in stoppage time I think, I don't think the ref did anything wrong

Southampton player injured as it rolled into injury time so at least a minute.

Why?

A team from outside the major leagues winning a European trophy (even if they're sponsored by Red Bull) would make me feel there's still some hope for "lesser" teams in Europe.

Yes.

They're the fifth biggest league in Europe based both on coefficients in Europe as well as viewership numbers and money. The gap from fifth and down to sixth with those qualifiers in mind is massive. Hence they're one of the five big leagues in Europe, if a club as won a European title or not. It's not fun when a French team do well because they should be doing well given their position in club football. Obviously Marseille winning would be more fun than Atletico, but still.

Benfica is a big club from a smaller league. Hence it's still fun when Benfica do well in Europe.

Why?

Yes.

22 years. PSG won the Cup Winners Cup in 1996.

Even when you're arguing an accurate point (about the relative failure of French football) you still manage to fuck up.