The other games today 2018/19

Greg

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think this match was capable of an interesting result. Two hateful clubs, two unimpressive teams.

:thup: Chelsea's the slightly preferable result for me because of Mourinho.

Pogba once again proving he is world-class...

Sanchez too!

Jose has to take his share of the blame. He's playing all the right players but not necessarily in the right order.

803064daae549d8f7ac876fad246f158.jpg

Guest Howaythetoon

Sanchez too!

Jose has to take his share of the blame. He's playing all the right players but not necessarily in the right order.

He does, but neither has shown enough as individuals other than sporadic moments (Pogba away to City for example). Sanchez is a top player, but not suited to a Mourinho team. Plus I think physically and mentally he’s spent. Pogba though, I just don’t get any of the hype or fan fare. How much did he cost? :lol:

Sanchez too!

He does, but neither has shown enough as individuals other than sporadic moments (Pogba away to City for example). Sanchez is a top player, but not suited to a Mourinho team. Plus I think physically and mentally he’s spent. Pogba though, I just don’t get any of the hype or fan fare. How much did he cost? [emoji38]

I agree to an extent but Pogba or Sanchez in the City/Liverpool team would be like different players. Something has changed in Jose the last few years he's become bitter and poisonous  and I genuinely think he drags the players down rather than elevates them.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sanchez was a slightly weird buy IMO, he was whinging and frustrated at Arsenal and he seems to have just carried it on.

Panic buy IMO. Falling behind City even more, but at least we can still keep taking others’ best players from them. Actually panic is a wrong word, more like no research whatsoever. He’s a player that plays on the cusp, one twos, roaming free, quick play etc. At Man Utd it’s all zonal and tactical and him having to do donkey work. He’s just a bad fit in that team or how it’s set up as is most of them other than Lukaku, a CF. They are awful to watch, lots of talented players just thrown together it seems. Such an average side. It’s amazing they finished ahead of Liverpool and Spurs. Chelsea... I now think they overachieved in winning the title which was mainly down to Conte and finishing where they did is just about par for the team they have. Hazard, Kante and Willian aside they are another average team. I say average, obviously not average like we are, but for that level they are IMO. Glad they won, if only for Conte. Mourinho man, take a break.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sanchez too!

He does, but neither has shown enough as individuals other than sporadic moments (Pogba away to City for example). Sanchez is a top player, but not suited to a Mourinho team. Plus I think physically and mentally he’s spent. Pogba though, I just don’t get any of the hype or fan fare. How much did he cost? [emoji38]

I agree to an extent but Pogba or Sanchez in the City/Liverpool team would be like different players. Something has changed in Jose the last few years he's become bitter and poisonous  and I genuinely think he drags the players down rather than elevates them.

We have seen with KK and Sir Bobby and in many ways with Rafa just what a positive attitude can have in terms of effect. We are seeing a reverse with the likes of Mourinho and their negative attitude. They have a fantastic attack, but play such sterile, boring and negative football. Their attackers look ordinary, pedestrian and often dumb founded. That’s a team I’d hate to play in. Martial, Lukaku, Rashford, Mata and Pogba should be tearing it up and in an exciting way, but they aren’t. That’s down to Mourinho.

That Man U team is total and utter garbage. What on earth is Mourinho doing with them?

Exactly what he did with Chelsea. He's toxic to teams with flair, it's just not his way.

Guest Howaythetoon

Talking of Mourinho, before Pep came onto the scene he was the Special One, by far the outstanding coach in world football. He came here and took on Man Utd and Arsenal the traditional top two and he smashed them.

Then he leaves for Inter and wins a treble. He goes to Madrid to take on Pep and his Barcelona, he won a league and a contest or two between the two, but I genuinely think that battle between the two if you like knocked his confidence massively.

He’s not daft, give the two equal money, equal sized clubs and equal top players and Pep and his brand wins 9/10 and he can’t find a way to beat that consistently. In a one off game yes or the odd trophy yes, but long-term no. Keegan said you need a solid defence to win things of course, but you don’t beat teams unless you outscore them. He almost got it right. In today’s game you can’t tactically and prep wise try and beat every team in front of you on a game to game basis and hope to succeed, not consistently anyway. As Mourinho would do and still tries to.

I’m of the opinion that Mourinho is a guaranteed trophy, he’s that good, no matter where he goes (it has to be a big club mind) he will win something and will rarely finish outside of a top 2. But he needs lots of money and top players, as they all do. Rafa, our own manager, is a different breed, I think he can manage at any club of any size with any budget and succeed accordingly as he has done here, that’s not to say he’s better, far from it. But Mourinho as good as he is or was, needs a lot of ticks in lots of boxes to succeed.

Today, his methods aren’t working because he’s up against a superior foe in Pep and others who can compete if given similar resources and players. Even those with less are matching him, even if it’s on a game only basis. Hughton’s Brighton for example.

So he’s just doing the least of what is expected, silverware. Cups basically and finishing 2nd. Is it enough?

He’s at a club, however, that demands more, as Madrid did. It’s no good just winning the league ahead of Barca, you have to win it better than they did or could, in style. The CL is important too.

Same with Man Utd vs City now since Pep’s arrival. I can actually see them even if they spend even more money, falling further behind City next season.

He needs to take a break from the game IMO and maybe go to a smaller club with less resources, like Rafa has, and create something tangible and something real that means something. Otherwise he’s going to burn that candle out and massively so. I’ve kept a close eye on him since his Porto days when we first learned that he was a protege of Sir Bobby. He won the CL with Porto and again came to Chelsea and smashed it.

Today he looks a broken man, an almost parody and someone who doesn’t seem able to come up with the answers. This Man Utd side offensively has enough in their locker to beat Chelsea and beat them well and to run City close, Fergie would have, but his methods are damaging and he’s actually turning good or top players to shite.

It’s kind of sad as he’s a manager I would have loved to have seen here, replace Sir Bobby with him and we win stuff and qualify for CL footy. He was too good and big or rather coveted at the time though. Someone who wasn’t quite that our own Rafa, he went to Liverpool while we went for Souness. Rafa was another I had kept an eye on, a young and up coming coach who had done wonders at Valencia, a team that beat Marseille comfortably in the UEFA cup final who of course knocked us out.

Today, regardless, I wouldn’t swap Rafa for him in a million years.

Another manager-coach who is doing wonders is Simeone, kind of like Mourinho when he first came on the scene. It will be interesting to see if he can step away from A.Madrid and succeed. If I was Arsenal or even Chelsea I’d go all out for him, he’s a special one as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watching something on BBC about John Moston, as annoying as his commentary has become the last decade it seems or more, he’s been a great commentator and a big part of our game. Growing up he was the commentary voice of football. I wish him well and consider him a legend of commentary and part of a hall of fame when it comes to our game.