Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Can understand that they love him because he made us rubbish and gave them many wins over us, but any of them who genuinely think he's a great owner and want him to take over their club...well they're welcome to him. Match made in hell.

They would adore him.  This is a bunch of people for whom Alan Smith would have been counted as one of their legends.

17th every season would suit those small time inbreeds down to the ground.

If he was their owner they'd start looking at 8th in League One as the good old days...

Ashley and his tatty brand would be a perfect fit in chickentown. He would end up a legend there. It wouldn't  take much at all to keep them happy and be hero worshipped

I disagree.

They were not happy with Murray when he owned them and had them mid table in the Premier League, they went down and he sold to Quinn via administration. They started having a go at Quinn when his ambition was to stabilise for a while. He sold to Short and they were not happy with him just being happy to stay in the Premier League before they went down. As soon as they lost the Checkatrade trophy and the play off final they turned on Donald.

If Ashley (or anyone else) got them into the Championship they won’t be happy if they don’t do a Sheffield United or Wolves like quick bounce into the Premier League. If they did that then they wouldn’t be happy being in a relegation battle. You also have to look at that RTG thread and look at how many fans are now turning around and saying actually they wouldn’t want him at Sunderland.

This unhappiness would be a quicker process if we are successful or competing towards the top of the Premier League.

Unless Sunderland got promoted this season then Ashley isn’t buying them. They are too far away from potentially reaching the Premier League.

There is plenty of their fans and ours saying he would do this to spite our fans. I don’t think he would. He honestly doesn’t care that much. If our takeover goes through, then buying Sunderland wouldn’t spite us because he won’t be able to put enough money into them to make them compete at the same level as us to generate a situation where it would spite us, even then he knows that the vast majority of our fans would not be spited by him owning them, but joyed.

Him buying Sunderland only makes sense if they are in the Championship with the ability to be promoted to the riches of the Premier League. If they were in the Championship, then with the size of the stadium they have, and the quality of the training ground and academy they have, they would likely be the best option for anyone wanting to buy a Championship team with the target of getting promoted to the Premier League.

Only then does it make sense for Ashley buying them.

They're absolutely devastated by this takeover. Never knew Sunderland had so many human rights activists

It makes you wonder why though. I mean, they've told us how good an owner Mike Ashley is for years. Surely they should be delighted to see him leave?

Hopefully he takes them over

If we have investment I'd love for them to become what we are now. For years it's all they wanted but that's only because that's their ambition. Behind Newcastle? That's where we need to be. Ahead of Newcastle? Anything is fine.

If the rumoured figure of £20 million is true then Ashley will be all over it

Why?

Let’s get away from thinking he will do this to spite our fans, take it out of the equation.

He buys Sunderland for say £20m.

Now he has a club who have cost him £20m. He now has to pay another £30m for the loan on the ground/academy they have outstanding.

So right now he has spent 10% of his money from the sale of us just getting through the door.

They are in League one.

The parachute payments have ended.

They have a couple of players left on Premier League and Championship wages.

Their stadium is a big stadium for a League One team, their academy is massive.

The costs to run the stadium and academy alone are going to cost more money than what they are getting through being in League One.

The wages are going to massive, with many big name players going to be difficult to get rid of.

The fans are not going to be coming back in their droves for a 3rd season in League one.

As we have seen, the club merchandise will be spun into Sports Direct and the vast majority of it’s proceeds will be registered as Sports Direct revenues, not Sunderland’s.

The club in League One is not profitable, certainly not profitable in regards to Ashley’s way of slashing away at everything.

The only clubs he would be interested in is Champions and Premier League clubs, and he is likely going to be priced out of most Premier League clubs.

Guest chopey

I imagine he could spend £80 million and double that in 4 years if he can get them up to the premier league

I imagine he could spend £80 million and double that in 4 years if he can get them up to the premier league

For a team in League one it’s a massive gamble.

It would likely be cheaper and better for him to buy a Championship club.

If they were in the Championship, I agree it would be a very good buy for him, financially, not in League one though.

Not a hope in hell he could do that in four years, he wouldn’t spend the money needed.

No way

Guest Howaythetoon

If Ashley wanted to spunk £100m of his sale proceeds on the mackems, he could have them in the premier league in 5 years.

Would cost that in transfers alone with no guarantees, not happening for either :lol:

https://radio.nrk.no/podkast/heia_fotball/nrkno-poddkast-23771-141294-23082018075200

Probably not many Norwegian speakers here, but this is a funny football podcast where they had invited a guy to talk about his experiences from studying in Sunderland for this episode.

He mentions one memory from his first days in town where he saw a family of four (all wearing tracksuits) on the Wearmouth bridge. They had brought a bag of garbage which they threw into the river, then they all ran to the opposite side to watch the garbage come floating down. Typical Sunday family activity in Sunderland :lol:

21:38 into that podcast is a cracking Geordie impression in Norwegian 😂😂

Talking about what a shithole Sunderland is:

"Felt like Christmas when they opened a cinema in Sunderland" :lol:

If Ashley wanted to spunk £100m of his sale proceeds on the mackems, he could have them in the premier league in 5 years.

Would cost that in transfers alone with no guarantees, not happening for either :lol:

The 100m in 5 years wouldn’t even cover their losses. They’re in much more trouble than people think.

They would adore him.  This is a bunch of people for whom Alan Smith would have been counted as one of their legends.

17th every season would suit those small time inbreeds down to the ground.

Yep. He is white, English and hates the mags so hes off to a great start. Plus sports direct adverts all over the SOL as all the litter blows around the pitch would go together well.

Guest godzilla

I wouldn’t wish it on any club, them included.

I certainly would I'd laugh my cock off if it happens.