Player of the Season - Jamaal Lascelles

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

Wow, that's pretty unanimous. :lol: I thought Diame would be much closer than that and possibly win it.

I think it's unanimous because Diame's only really been good since January. Lascelles has been crucial in both of our great runs of form.

Most of the others have had half seasons. Easy to forget we were playing lots of Hayden/Merino during that good run in Aug/Sep/Oct.

Guest firetotheworks

I can see this 'Lascelles sorted Diame out' thing becoming a 'Williamson couldn't get a game for Portsmouth' thing.

He got a personal trainer and improved massively. Fair play if Lascelles gave Diame a kick up the arse, but he still had to go out there and do it and he did it so well that a canny few people think he's been our best player this season.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's unanimous because Diame's only really been good since January. Lascelles has been crucial in both of our great runs of form.

Most of the others have had half seasons. Easy to forget we were playing lots of Hayden/Merino during that good run in Aug/Sep/Oct.

I totally get Lascelles getting the vote like. He's been so obviously influential that you can't ignore him. For me it's probably a case of Lascelles' consistency at a lower level for the full season along with his leadership vs Diame's consistency at a much higher level, but for not quite as long.

I totally get Lascelles getting the vote like. He's been so obviously influential that you can't ignore him. For me it's probably a case of Lascelles' consistency at a lower level and leadership vs Diame's consistency at a much higher level, but for not quite as long.

Diame, brilliant as his second half of the season was, has been anything but consistent over the course of the season. He’s gone from regularly being dropped to being arguably our most in form player. God knows how he shows up after the summer.

Our MVP has to be Lascelles. What a fucking great season he’s had :clap:

I can see this 'Lascelles sorted Diame out' thing becoming a 'Williamson couldn't get a game for Portsmouth' thing.

He got a personal trainer and improved massively. Fair play if Lascelles gave Diame a kick up the arse, but he still had to go out there and do it and he did it so well that a canny few people think he's been our best player this season.

Both players would be worthy winners which is all the more remarkable given the alleged fallout, was the point I was making.

Guest firetotheworks

I totally get Lascelles getting the vote like. He's been so obviously influential that you can't ignore him. For me it's probably a case of Lascelles' consistency at a lower level and leadership vs Diame's consistency at a much higher level, but for not quite as long.

Diame, brilliant as his second half of the season was, has been anything but consistent over the course of the season. He’s gone from regularly being dropped to being arguably our most in form player. God knows how he shows up after the summer.

When I said 'consistent at a much higher level, but for not quite as long. ' I meant that he's been consistent since he turned his form around at the turn of the year. Since then he hasn't had anything below a 7/10 performance in any match imo.

When I said 'consistent but for not quite as long' I meant that he's been consistent since he turned his form around at the turn of the year. Since then he hasn't had anything below a 7/10 performance in any match imo.

Aye, but in a Player of the Season thread I would have thought the time span to judge would be the full season, over which Diame has been very inconsistent. I would gladly give him Player of the Second Half of the Season though. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

When I said 'consistent but for not quite as long' I meant that he's been consistent since he turned his form around at the turn of the year. Since then he hasn't had anything below a 7/10 performance in any match imo.

Aye, but in a Player of the Season thread I would have thought the time span to judge would be the full season, over which Diame has been very inconsistent. I would gladly give him Player of the Second Half of the Season though. :lol:

I dunno man, I think what I said made sense. I basically think that his level was higher than Lascelles', but for not as long. And that he was consistent from the turn of the year, massively inconsistent to me is being good one match and bad the next.

It made perfect sense man. I just think we can’t ignore how mediocre he was pre turn of the year in a POTS vote. Most would have gladly seen the back of him in January. Still, deserves all the more credit for his resurgence, but let’s not go overboard. Without Lascelles leadership and defensive qualities we would have gone down this season, no doubt in my mind.

Could be any of Lascelles, Shelvey, Diame or Perez. Although many others have been absolutely solid too. Incredible really, what a tune Rafa has got out of them.

Going for Shelvey as he's utterly brilliant to watch and we would suffer so much without his positive passing in the team.

I'm going to go for Diame because his turnaround was unexpected and pivotal. Thought he was going the way of Geremi but instead went full Viera on us :lol:

Lascelles, Shelvey, Perez and Dubravka are my top 5.

Letdowns of the season:

Clark (Shame but he couldn't cut it)

Darlow (Threw it away too many times)

Gale (Not sure what was affecting him at the start of the season but it cost him momentum and is lucky his only competition was Joselu)

Lascelles is the clear winner, but so many stepped up especially in 2018, including Perez, Shelvey, Dubravka and Diame. Ritchie, Kenedy, Lejuenne and even Dummett too made vital contributions.