The World Cup Refereeing Thread - discuss the latest VARce here!

Wullie

We need to introduce pockets for football shorts IMO. The rules would be very easy to police with the number of cameras in stadiums now; if your hands are visible it's a penalty.

Guest firetotheworks

You lot need to watch it back. He’s gripping his side and his arm, not stopping him leaning back.

It's a contact sport, man. It's about restriction, not contact. Mascherano wasn't restricting anyone with that contact, therefore it's not a penalty.

You lot need to watch it back. He’s gripping his side and his arm, not stopping him leaning back.

It's a contact sport, man. It's about restriction, not contact. Mascherano wasn't restricting anyone with that contact, therefore it's not a penalty.

Ffs, I said by the written laws. I showed you the written law says holding. I post a photo of him holding.

On my opinion it shouldn’t be a penalty otherwise there would be 20 a game, but the laws (and now var is sticking to those laws) say it is.

Guest firetotheworks

Ffs, I said by the written laws. I showed you the written law says holding. I post a photo of him holding.

On my opinion it shouldn’t be a penalty otherwise there would be 20 a game, but the laws (and now var is sticking to those laws) say it is.

He's not holding him.

He's not holding him.

Wow, he looks to be both on video and the photo, but i’ll bow to your superior knowledge given you have extra sensory tv.

No arguing with some people is there.

Guest firetotheworks

Like I've said it's about restriction. If I've got my arm on you and you're not restricted, it's not a hold, it's contact.

The laws also say the keeper can't hold the ball for more than 6 seconds. And that keepers are only allowed move side to side on exactly the goal line (and not an inch further forward until the exact moment the ball is struck) from penalties. But let's be honest. Some of these so called 'laws' like that are really just principles.

The laws also say the keeper can't hold the ball for more than 6 seconds. And that keepers are only allowed move side to side on exactly the goal line (and not an inch further forward until the exact moment the ball is struck) from penalties. But let's be honest. Some of these so called 'laws' like that are really just principles.

Hence why I said in my opinion it’s not a penalty but the written laws say it is. Jesus I give up.

Guest firetotheworks

Like I've said it's about restriction. If I've got my arm on you and you're not restricted, it's not a hold, it's contact.

Look at his left hand. Watch it on video too. He’s gripping him.

I've watched it time and again, how do you think I formed my opinion on it? [emoji38]

Look at his left hand. Watch it on video too. He’s gripping him.

I've watched it time and again, how do you think I formed my opinion on it? [emoji38]

Agree to disagree then. If you can’t see a hold there fair enough.

He's holding him (which happens in every corner) but the Nigerian isn't falling down because of the hold. He's leaning to Mascherano and then his legs just give up.

Never a pen.

Guest firetotheworks

Ferdinand and Drogba convinced the handball should have been a penalty.

Hands in pockets and you can't handball it. #justsayinguyz

Lineker and Zabaletta convinced that it shouldn't. And it wasn't. [emoji38]

I don't like VAR, but it's not spoiling the world cup for me like. Is it spoiling it for you?

I don't like VAR, but it's not spoiling the world cup for me like. Is it spoiling it for you?

I can’t work out if it’s making it more interesting or more of a joke or both or none

Nope. I think it's been an incredible addition, it's changed the way we see the game. We've been perceiving the game all wrong based on what we'd come to expect, like barely any pens given, etc. Now we realize that if the laws of the game are strictly followed, we have quite an entertaining game on our hands :lol:

He's holding him (which happens in every corner) but the Nigerian isn't falling down because of the hold. He's leaning to Mascherano and then his legs just give up.

Never a pen.

this

handball was never a pen either

See my previous comments, I simply don't think we needed it. I'm still enjoying the World Cup but yeah I guess you could say it's spoiling it a bit for me. Certainly don't believe we'd be any worse off if all this shite wasn't a thing.