The World Cup Refereeing Thread - discuss the latest VARce here!

Wullie

Yes, and Vida's foot is behind him playing him onside. It's fucking obvious from the other side man

Hardly conclusive and clearly worthy of review. Main point being Pogba was quite obviously interfering with play.

Guest firetotheworks

His leg means nothing when there are goal scoring parts of Pogba's body that are still possibly offside like. If VAR reviewed it fair enough.

His leg means nothing when there are goal scoring parts of Pogba's body that are still possibly offside like. If VAR reviewed it fair enough.

your arm isnt a goal scoring part of the body

Go home Kaiz, you're drunk. :lol: Mandzukic clearly challenges for the ball to prevent Pogba, directly resulting in the goal.

Disagree, obviously. And it pains me to do so ‘cause I dislike Pogba.

Yes, and Vida's foot is behind him playing him onside. It's fucking obvious from the other side man

Hardly conclusive and clearly worthy of review. Main point being Pogba was quite obviously interfering with play.

By being on the field, yes. He’s only involved in the goalscoring event after the ball has left Mandzukic’s head. Mandzukic challenges for the ball ahead of Pogba and because of the other French player close to him, Pogba is behind him and moves into his back after the ball is hit by Mandzukic.

Guest firetotheworks

Your shoulder is.

Your shoulder is.

which was in front of the foot  O0

I0xmhJI.png

Guest firetotheworks

Your shoulder is.

I0xmhJI.png

Nah, that angle's in no way conclusive. As I said, if VAR reviewed it then fair enough.

Your shoulder is.

I0xmhJI.png

Nah, that angle's in no way conclusive. As I said, if VAR reviewed it then fair enough.

They review everything in real time.  With both angles it's pretty clear he's onside like

Guest firetotheworks

Your shoulder is.

I0xmhJI.png

They review everything in real time.  With both angles it's pretty clear he's onside like

So then why are the commentators notified when an incident is under review? Neither angle is side on, so I couldn't make a decision on either.

Your shoulder is.

I0xmhJI.png

So then why are the commentators notified when an incident is under review? Neither angle is side on, so I couldn't make a decision on either.

IIRC it's when VAR has told the on-field ref they should review something in greater detail and the ref has told them to do it. If the ref tells VAR to fuck off, the commentators hears nothing.

VAR was ok. Needs to be more transparency regarding the communication between the refs. VAR didn't fail today, the referee did. However, at least he got a chance to go there and look at it and make the decision himself rather than some turd hidding behind a screen in the middle of nowhere ruling out the Gabriel Jesus incident.

Stills from the VAR check.

DiK4NB0XUAAM_V_.jpg:large

Ultimately whilst VAR helps a lot, it's still down to the fallibility of human decisions.

But there should be less contentious decisions, so all in all still a good thing - I think.

This.

It's actually added so much to the game, especially with the potential to cutting out all the crap that defenders and divers have been getting away with for a century.

Ultimately it's human fallibility and interpretation of laws that keeps letting us down, not a camera.

Guest firetotheworks

Stills from the VAR check.

DiK4NB0XUAAM_V_.jpg:large

They did the check, fair enough. :thup:

VAR ruined the final as far as I'm concerned.  Ref was useless and it just gave him an excuse to make another stupid decision.

If it did, it only ruined the final for you due to your pre-existing ideas about the concept of VAR - as it did nothing bad tonight.

VAR ruined the final as far as I'm concerned.  Ref was useless and it just gave him an excuse to make another stupid decision.

If it did, it only ruined the final for you due to your pre-existing ideas about the concept of VAR - as it did nothing bad tonight.

The first goal was from a free kick awarded from a clear dive. It's not in VAR's remit currently but it seems so wrong, considering we all (including VAR refs) saw it on replays within 5 seconds :lol:

It's tough cause if VAR call that, they're basically becoming the ref and will have to call out all dives or wrong free kick decisions.  A goal came directly from it though, so it'd be good if something could be done about that type of situation in future.  Fuck knas what, like

edit: maybe they could be given power to inform the ref of any clear dive (if he wrongly gave a free kick).. anywhere on the pitch :dontknow:

The first goal was from a free kick awarded from a clear dive. It's not in VAR's remit currently but it seems so wrong, considering we all (including VAR refs) saw it on replays within 5 seconds :lol:

It's tough cause if VAR call that, they're basically becoming the ref and will have to call out all dives or wrong free kick decisions.  A goal came directly from it though, so it'd be good if something could be done about that type of situation in future.  Fuck knas what, like

edit: maybe they could be given power to inform the ref of any clear dive (if he wrongly gave a free kick).. anywhere on the pitch :dontknow:

As much as I love VAR, I guess I'm kinda against that, as it would basically prevent any free-kicks from being taken quickly.

Don't see how it's not within VAR's remit. It's a clear infringement (simulation) leading to a goal. Should have been flagged up and disallowed.

Had it not led to a goal then it wouldn't fall within their remit but it surely does in this case as it's specifically designed for errors leading to goals, red cards, mistaken identity and pens. If an unfair free kick doesn't lead to a goal then they couldn't do anything about it so I see your second point. I guess they will have to wait and see if it goes in or not, or change how they use it.

Don't see how it's not within VAR's remit. It's a clear infringement (simulation) leading to a goal. Should have been flagged up and disallowed.

Had it not led to a goal then it wouldn't fall within their remit but it surely does in this case as it's specifically designed for errors leading to goals, red cards, mistaken identity and pens. If an unfair free kick doesn't lead to a goal then they couldn't do anything about it so I see your second point. I guess they will have to wait and see if it goes in or not, or change how they use it.

But then you have issues of how far back in play you go.  What if a team gets a throw in but the ball skimmed off the defending team and it should have gone the other way. Then like 30 seconds after the throw is taken they score.  If the throw was given correctly the goal wouldn't have happened.

After the celebrations, the ref's like "oh hold on, we're checking a throw in from 2 mins ago" :lol:

You need to leave the refs on the pitch to make some decisions

But then you have issues of how far back in play you go.  What if a team gets a throw in but the ball skimmed off the defending team and it should have gone the other way. Then like 30 seconds after the throw is taken they score.  If the throw was given correctly the goal wouldn't have happened.

After the celebrations, the ref's like "oh hold on, we're checking a throw in from 2 mins ago" :lol:

You need to leave the refs on the pitch to make some decisions

That's a fair point and I agree it needs to be cleared up. In this instance though, the goal was scored literally two touches of a ball after Griezmann's dive. He puts a cross in and it's in the back of the net. Whatever time frame or wording they eventually agree on, this surely qualifies for a VAR review.

Keith Hackett, an ex Premier League ref, wrote an interesting piece discussing this. He's criticised both the decisions and feels VAR should have been used for the Griezmann incident:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/15/decisions-world-cup-final-showed-vars-fatal-flaw-on-field-referee/