The World Cup Refereeing Thread - discuss the latest VARce here!

Wullie

I think it the long run it'll make the game more exciting - corners and free kicks become a different proposition when 90% of the players aren't being held down when the ball is in the air.

Guest neesy111

I think it the long run it'll make the game more exciting - corners and free kicks become a different proposition when 90% of the players aren't being held down when the ball is in the air.

Same, defenders have been getting away with so much shit for years.

So Russia have an improved chance of getting Iran in the 2nd round if Morocco can draw with Portugal.

So when Portugal should have a blatant penalty to finish the match off, the referee’s headset breaks???

So Russia have an improved chance of getting Iran in the 2nd round if Morocco can draw with Portugal.

So when Portugal should have a blatant penalty to finish the match off, the referee’s headset breaks???

It wasn’t a penalty in a million years across all the multiverses

It wasn’t a penalty in a million years across all the multiverses

:thup:

Of all the problems with VAR, of which obviously there's many, that's not one I thought I'd see. I dunno why you'd have a problem with it.

I was taking the piss tbh [emoji38] Clearly there should be penalty in every game if there deserves to be. Strange criticism

To me this has been the most enjoyable tournament reffing wise. Been one or two gaffes (Brazil match not included as everything there was spot on), but far less than there usually are without VAR.

Guest firetotheworks

Already 20 penalties in this World Cup, beating the previous record for an entire tournament (18) with 28 matches left to play. :clap:

What's wrong with that specifically? It's the least bad thing about VAR.

Guest firetotheworks

Why should they be rare? I really don't understand the problem with more penalties like.

Why should they be rare? I really don't understand the problem with more penalties like.

Because they're significant events and I don't think there should be a penalty every time there's any sort of event in the penalty area, like that handball tonight. I also think it will make players cheat more and speed up the progression to football being a non-contact sport.

Put simply, I didn't think there was a particular problem to try and solve with all this. I haven't changed my mind one bit so far.

Guest firetotheworks

Because they're significant events and I don't think there should be a penalty every time there's any sort of event in the penalty area, like that handball tonight. I also think it will make players cheat more and speed up the progression to football being a non-contact sport.

Put simply, I didn't think there was a particular problem to try and solve with all this. I haven't changed my mind one bit so far.

Tonight's pen was a joke, but almost every other decision I've seen has been right. It's the one thing I have no problem with re VAR. I dunno how it'll make players cheat more unless you think refs and the VAR panel are more likely to be duped during replays. If anything I would have thought it would cut down on fouls and holding in the box because of the amount of pens that have been rightly given.

A clear onside for Spain but that is the thing it is so inconsistent.

When Spain needed it, it was used. When Morocco did, it wasn’t. Pique seems to be VAR proof as he got away with a two foot off the ground tackle and a blatant handball just outside the penalty area.

VAR is inconsistent and slows the game down too much. A good 10 minutes of that Portugal game was taken up by VAR.

Sure it sucks when refs get things but they are human not robots it will just have to be accepted. Besides they don’t get that many decisions wrong when it comes to the big games. A few ones like the infamous Lampard one of 2010 but not that many.

Already 20 penalties in this World Cup, beating the previous record for an entire tournament (18) with 28 matches left to play. :clap:

Only half way through the tournament, hopefully we'll see less in future when players realise they can't get away with snide fouls anymore.

Don't agree with penalties are supposed to be rare at all, if you break the rules in the box it's a penalty and if you consistently do that then that's on you.

If players don't like it then stop committing fouls, it's pretty simple.

Guest neesy111

Don't buy the more pens means its wrong, I think defenders have been getting away with shite defending for too long.