The World Cup Refereeing Thread - discuss the latest VARce here!

Wullie

The handball was exactly the same as the one last night. Bloke last night fucked up, bloke tonight didn’t. Reckon he may have been swayed by giving one extremely soft pen already though.

See my previous comments, I simply don't think we needed it. I'm still enjoying the World Cup but yeah I guess you could say it's spoiling it a bit for me. Certainly don't believe we'd be any worse off if all this shite wasn't a thing.

We've been back on forth on this in the other VAR thread. I disagree with you on this, but that's fine. I think from a Newcastle perspective, seeing how long we've gone without being given penalties, especially stonewall ones at certain grounds, I'd be over the moon with some decisions going our way for once.

Guest firetotheworks

See my previous comments, I simply don't think we needed it. I'm still enjoying the World Cup but yeah I guess you could say it's spoiling it a bit for me. Certainly don't believe we'd be any worse off if all this shite wasn't a thing.

We'd probably have different teams going through. It would be interesting to see what the standings would be without VAR.

We've been back on forth on this in the other VAR thread. I disagree with you on this, but that's fine. I think from a Newcastle perspective, seeing how long we've gone without being given penalties, especially stonewall ones at certain grounds, I'd be over the moon with some decisions going our way for once.

FUCK YOU HOW DARE YOU BE REASONABLE about this

FUCK YOU HOW DARE YOU BE REASONABLE about this

:) I'm on Twitter a lot and when two people disagree amicably, it really feels like there's some hope in the world.

I really think there will be a massive call for var in the premier league now.

Big mistakes in big games will be ironed out i guess and it adds a bit of drama,

First time newcastle have a major issue with a bad decision this season we will all be calling for it

I've never been a supporter of VAR, and it seems to me that unless you have very clear rules about when and how it is applied, there's a danger of more and more decisions being referred to it, and the whole issue of a 'clear and obvious mistake' is going to get very blurred. The Argentinian handball might have been a pen, but there's no way it was a clear mistake, and I don't think it's the sort of situation that VAR is meant for.

Because VAR hasn't been tested properly before the tournament, we seem to be getting more and more decisions reversed, on more and more dubious grounds. By the time we get to the final, the whole thing could be in a real mess.

You lot need to watch it back. He’s gripping his side and his arm, not stopping him leaning back.

4277c5e00ce651ba82660c70e3ca998f.jpg

No leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's basically doing the exact same as that Nigerian bloke behind him is doing

You lot need to watch it back. He’s gripping his side and his arm, not stopping him leaning back.

4277c5e00ce651ba82660c70e3ca998f.jpg

No leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's basically doing the exact same as that Nigerian bloke behind him is doing

Fair point; so what does the ref do? Benefit to the defender or the attacker? Or do they cancel each other out? Genuine question.

I don't like it but that goal really shows the benefit of VAR when it's a decision similar to goalline technology, a black or white decision, rather than a dodgy handball or debatable holding in the box.

Can I shock you?  I like VAR.

:thup: The bigger teams used to get more than their share of favourable decisions.

For every one that has been questionably wrong (matter of opinion) many more have been right. It should become better with time.

As a Newcastle fan I was all for the idea. But given how it's been used, now I'm starting to wonder why an organisation as corrupt as FIFA has pushed it through so quickly. At the end of the day it looks like you're still at the mercy of someone giving seemingly bizarre decisions. Now goals can be disallowed and pens awarded for the slightest thing, and huge offences ignored.

So far I'm not convinced it's led to better refereeing. It is worth persevering with but the idea to trial it at a world cup was nuts. I realise they got it right tonight in the Germany game and those types of decisions (clear cut) are really what we were told it was designed for.

Guest neesy111

Every decision can't be right as they are obviously subjective but it's worth it just to get decisions like the South Korea goal right.

Imagine the debate if Germany had scored if it stayed 0-0.  Every pundit would be staying why don't we have VAR etc.