Round of 16 - SWE 1-0 SWI

STM

Guest firetotheworks

Fuck Russia like. Spain didn't do enough, but Russia are just another rank team that sit back and pray.

Scored more goals in this World Cup already than shitty Spain did in 2010.

Because rank teams like Russia sat back against them for the full tournament. Still won the whole thing as well.

They won it through anti-football.

Alonso and Busquets in the middle, Xavi and Iniesta wide. Monopolising the ball for 90 minutes, playing at walking pace, no width or directness and grinding out 1-0s. Easily the most boring successful side of my lifetime, just ahead of Greece 2004.

Imagine accusing Spain of playing 'anti-football' after just watching them spend 120 minutes trying to break down a team with no interest in actually playing football. Not the first time either. Spain are the very opposite to that imo.

It's just what your view of what constitutes good football is.  Lots of people find spain very very boring to watch, just like Barcelona.

I personally prefer fast direct football (Klopp at Liverpool and Dortmund) compared to what Spain play.

That's fair enough, I probably do too, but do you prefer this Russian side or Greece 2004 and Portugal 2016 over it? Probably not, like. [emoji38]

Guest neesy111

Like Rafa did against Man City at home you mean? It was the correct tactic and it paid off.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

Fuck Russia like. Spain didn't do enough, but Russia are just another rank team that sit back and pray.

Because rank teams like Russia sat back against them for the full tournament. Still won the whole thing as well.

Alonso and Busquets in the middle, Xavi and Iniesta wide. Monopolising the ball for 90 minutes, playing at walking pace, no width or directness and grinding out 1-0s. Easily the most boring successful side of my lifetime, just ahead of Greece 2004.

Imagine accusing Spain of playing 'anti-football' after just watching them spend 120 minutes trying to break down a team with no interest in actually playing football. Not the first time either. Spain are the very opposite to that imo.

It's just what your view of what constitutes good football is.  Lots of people find spain very very boring to watch, just like Barcelona.

I personally prefer fast direct football (Klopp at Liverpool and Dortmund) compared to what Spain play.

That's fair enough, I probably do too, but do you prefer this Russian side or Greece 2004 and Portugal 2016 over it? Probably not, like. [emoji38]

Greece 2004, least they actually won football matches unlike Portugal 2016.

So other teams not bothering to press them is Spain's fault?

Yes.

Spain have loads of amazing players with off-the-chart technical ability. They have generally used it to dominate the ball (by packing the midfield, playing without width, and without forwards), slow down the pace of play, and constrict the natural life and flow out of games. Even good sides against them have been resorted to camping and countering. It's certainly impressive and successful, but it's also absolutely as negative as a team that sets up to just defend.

I put the 2010 team more negative than Greece, because at least Greece had an excuse for it with their extremely limited player pool.

The Euros teams either side were marginally more entertaining, especially 2008.

Guest firetotheworks

Like Rafa did against Man City at home you mean? It was the correct tactic and it paid off.

(We were better than Russia like :) )

Yeah but I don't support Russia. [emoji38] I'm not saying their tactics were wrong, I'm saying fuck them.

Do teams in Group H of WC's get an advantage of knowing what both sides of the draw look like before their last game?

It was Group G who knew the makeup of the draw.

It's got nothing to do with 'good football'. That's entirely subjective. When one team puts 10 men behind the ball and kicks the other team's players for 90 minutes, it's very fair to say they haven't turned up to play football but to stop another from playing. Regardless of what you think of Spain's style, they are at least trying to play football in a positive manner.

Fair enough if you're happy to see a non-entity team like Russia play in a football tournament than a skilful team like Spain. I'm interested in seeing quality players myself and one of the best if not the best in the tournament - Isco is out. I'm gutted  :lol:

Spain don't play anti football, it's not their fault in 2010 the dutch tried to kick them out the game and again here. I would agree they are not the most exciting to watch but to describe them as negative is plain ridiculous. If you can't take joy watching Iniesta play I dunno what you think is positive football

Guest firetotheworks

Did I read someone on here saying Clatternberg is basically Michael from I'm Alan Partridge? Spot on. [emoji38]

His voice is mad

It was on Twitter, I think.

Yes.

Spain have loads of amazing players with off-the-chart technical ability. They have generally used it to dominate the ball (by packing the midfield, playing without width, and without forwards), slow down the pace of play, and constrict the natural life and flow out of games. Even good sides against them have been resorted to camping and countering. It's certainly impressive and successful, but it's also absolutely as negative as a team that sets up to just defend.

I put the 2010 team more negative than Greece, because at least Greece had an excuse for it with their extremely limited player pool.

Constrict the natural life and flow out of games? What is a natural life and flow in a game anyway?

You say that good teams have been resorted to camping and countering, as if Spain gets to pick the tactics and strategy of their opponents, instead of the truth which is that teams chose to play that way against Spain.

At the end of the day they played to the strengths of their players, which were exceptionally strong in the midfield. If you find a way to play all of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Xabi Alonso, then of course you're gonna do that.

Guest neesy111

That's incorrect to show when he saves it.  GK is allowed off the line as soon as the taker takes the kick.

Yes.

Constrict the natural life and flow out of games? What is a natural life and flow in a game anyway?

You say that good teams have been resorted to camping and countering, as if Spain gets to pick the tactics and strategy of their opponents, instead of the truth which is that teams chose to play that way against Spain.

At the end of the day they played to the strengths of their players, which were exceptionally strong in the midfield. If you find a way to play all of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Xabi Alonso, then of course you're gonna do that.

Playing a bunch of holding  central midfielders isn't negative then? :lol: Righto.

The way Spain plays creates games that are unwatchably dull.

Yes.

Playing a bunch of holding  central midfielders isn't negative then? :lol: Righto.

The way Spain plays creates games that are unwatchably dull.

Depends on what you do with them. The mistake in your argument lies in the premise that Spain forced other teams to sit back instead of press. If a team decides to sit back against a team with a lot of possession, then surely it's the team sitting back that's being negative?

Guest firetotheworks

Reminder that Spain Portugal was arguably the match of the tournament along with France Argentina. Unwatchably dull indeed.