Round of 16 - SWE 1-0 SWI

STM

Spain 100% play Anti-Football imo they just go about it in a different way than the accepted ‘negative’ defensive approach lesser sides often set up with. Focusing on lots of triangles, holding possession, 100’s of safe short passes and waiting for an opposition mistake. There’s a massive lack of adventure and emphasis on not playing risky balls. There’s no real creativity, pace or variation in their play like you’d associate with a good attacking team. It’s death by passing, and if teams can keep their focus and maintain shape and concentration they really struggle.

Spot on. It was blatantly obvious that they need to mix things up earlier in their game today.

Guest firetotheworks

Reminder that Spain Portugal was arguably the match of the tournament along with France Argentina. Unwatchably dull indeed.

A rare occasion.

Both Euro finals, basically most match where the opposition is half decent and wants to actually play football. I agree that the matches where they're trying to break down teams can be dull, but how you come to the conclusion that that's their own fault and it's them that are playing anti-football is beyond me.

Guest neesy111

I wish I could play football like Modric. An absolute joy to watch

Makes it look so easy.

Guest firetotheworks

I wish I could play football like Modric. An absolute joy to watch

He's good, but he's not Premier League quality.