Round of 16 - SWE 1-0 SWI

STM

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah sorry, I’m all for making a political statement, but these millionaire players are representing Switzerland, meanwhile in the real world of Kosovo...

I know a few Kosovans by the way, we have a canny sized community of them here in Newcastle and the few I do know think yeah fine, raise awareness, but why now, and where were you when etc.

They couldn’t be further from reality and it smacks of opportunism. Wanna make a stand? Go and represent Kosovo, but no, that means missing out in the WC and personal glory.

And equipment? :lol:

By the way HBA wearing socks with a PSG badge is the daftest comparison I’ve ever read, it’s nowhere near the same.

By the way HBA wearing socks with a PSG badge is the daftest comparison I’ve ever read, it’s nowhere near the same.

It's literally not. It's wearing the "logo" of a competing club/nation whilst representing another, because you claim affinity towards them.

You could even bring it into the world of business, with someone employed at Nike wearing some Adidas gear as well as his Nike gear on official business because they quite like Adidas.

If you're actively representing something, you're representing that. Show respect.

Of course, the political statement is nowhere near the same. But again, that's not at all what I'm fucking arguing. Jesus christ. I just don't want players put other flags on their fucking shit when they're representing another country.

If some of those players felt so strongly about Kosovo why fucking represent Switzerland? Sanctimonious cunts. Bob Geldof with footy tops.

Because Switzerland welcomed them in as children with open arms having been victims of ethnic cleansing?

I think a critical detail that’s being lost in all this is that’s the Serbs, ethnic cleansing champions of the 90s, and also who cares

I think a critical detail that's being lost in all this is that I'm not trying to make a comment/statement about the intricacies of the Balkans. I just don't want a Nike employee to wear Adidas to work.

Guest Howaythetoon

If some of those players felt so strongly about Kosovo why fucking represent Switzerland? Sanctimonious cunts. Bob Geldof with footy tops.

Because Switzerland welcomed them in as children with open arms having been victims of ethnic cleansing?

I get that, but where was he in championing and raising awareness prior to the WC? It all seems a tad contrived to me and if you are going to be a political activist do so in an everyday capacity and not pick and choose. Hey look at me, KOSOVO KOSOVO, now watch me score for Switzerland. Check out my socks and celebration though man! KOSOVO KOSOVO!

Guest Howaythetoon

It's literally not. It's wearing the "logo" of a competing club/nation whilst representing another, because you claim affinity towards them.

You could even bring it into the world of business, with someone employed at Nike wearing some Adidas gear as well as his Nike gear on official business because they quite like Adidas.

If you're actively representing something, you're representing that. Show respect.

Of course, the political statement is nowhere near the same. But again, that's not at all what I'm fucking arguing. Jesus christ. I just don't want players put other flags on their fucking shit when they're representing another country.

HBA having a PSG badge on his socks is kind of different... this is political, so your anology is daft. There is no comparison sorry. I do agree mind, players shouldn’t bring politics into sport, especially when they don’t tend to practice what they preach outside of it.

Out of interest where do you stand on players praying to Allah or God before, during or after a match?

HBA having a PSG badge on his socks is kind of different... this is political, so your anology is daft. There is no comparison sorry. I do agree mind, players shouldn’t bring politics into sport, especially when they don’t tend to practice what they preach outside of it.

Out of interest where do you stand on players praying to Allah or God before, during or after a match?

The comparison is perfect, man :lol: I am not arguing a political side, I am arguing against blending "brands" when you're officially representing one "brand", so for my argument it works. You're applying it to a different argument - a political one, where it does not work (or at least not as well). You changing the application of the analogy doesn't make it not work for its original purpose.

They can be as religious as they want. Again, my argument isn't political. I understand Shaqiri put it there as a political statement (a shit one at that), but I'm not arguing against the politicalness of it - even though I do disagree with bringing politics like that into the World Cup - I am arguing against the general idea of players putting another nations flag on their equipment when they're officially representing another nation. It shouldn't be allowed because it's downright stupid, no matter if it's a political reason or just because they appreciate their other nationality. If you've elected to represent a certain nation, when you're representing that nation you should leave your other nation / its politics at home.

When you're not officially representing that nation, do whatever the fuck you want. Fly whatever flag you want in your house. Do interviews about the politics of your other nation. Buy condoms with your other nations flag on and fuck girls from the nation you represent on the field. Who the fuck cares. Just don't fucking mix and match when on official business.

Guest Howaythetoon

The comparison is perfect, man :lol: I am not arguing a political side, I am arguing against blending "brands" when you're officially representing one "brand", so for my argument it works. You're applying it to a different argument - a political one, where it does not work (or at least not as well). You changing the application of the analogy doesn't make it not work for its original purpose.

They can be as religious as they want. Again, my argument isn't political. I understand Shaqiri put it there as a political statement (a shit one at that), but I'm not arguing against the politicalness of it - even though I do disagree with bringing politics like that into the World Cup - I am arguing against the general idea of players putting another nations flag on their equipment when they're officially representing another nation. It shouldn't be allowed because it's downright stupid, no matter if it's a political reason or just because they appreciate their other nationality. If you've elected to represent a certain nation, when you're representing that nation you should leave your other nation / its politics at home.

When you're not officially representing that nation, do whatever the fuck you want. Fly whatever flag you want in your house. Do interviews about the politics of your other nation. Buy condoms with your other nations flag on and fuck girls from the nation you represent on the field. Who the fuck cares. Just don't fucking mix and match when on official business.

It’s not like, if it was a brand aye, but it’s not, it’s a political statement so again it’s a daft comparison. I do agree with a lot of what you’re saying mind, I just don’t see why you would compare this to a random French player wearing socks displaying the badge of his club.

Anyway...

It’s not like, if it was a brand aye, but it’s not, it’s a political statement so again it’s a daft comparison. I do agree with a lot of what you’re saying mind, I just don’t see why you would compare this to a random French player wearing socks displaying the badge of his club.

Anyway...

Because I’m arguing against the concept of this possibly becoming a normal thing now many players have dual nationalities. Hence the comparison works for what I’m arguing.

Guest Howaythetoon

The players in question are displaying a mark on their equipment as you put it to highlight a political issue, a random player displaying a club badge or logo is not the same. Howay. I know where you are going and agree with a lot of what you say, but the comparison you have dived into this with is complete bollocks.

My own thought is the Swiss players highlighting a certain political issue are opportunists and while I’m all for raising awareness and supporting certain causes, don’t pick and chose when and where to do it and don’t compromise your belief for the sake of personal glory which they have done otherwise they would have represented Kosovo or been more vocal and supportive from the off in their every day lives about a nation and it’s people they couldn’t be so far apart from in every way imaginable.

This is the ultimate sporting event in football and all politics and ideologies or allegiances should be left at the door as it’s about competing against your peers and trying to best them and come out on top for your country of birth or allegiance.

you represent Switzerland or Kosovo, not both, choose between one or the other or fuck off.

You can keep saying it works, but it quite obviously doesn't like. :lol:

It does once you fucking stop thinking it’s a political comparison. It’s the «brand» of a competing entity being displayed on the uniform of the «brand» you are representing. The comparison is a general statement regarding what I am disliking, not a statement about the reason for why Shaqiri put it there in the first place. The comparison doesn’t work if I was saying displaying a PSG logo or an Adidas logo was a political statement. But that’s bonkers, and not at all what i’m trying to say.

Once more, with feeling:

- I don’t want players with multiple nationalities to do something like Shaquri did, be it for pride, political reasons or due to being dumb.

- I realize Shaqiri put the flag there for political readons. I do dislike that. However, that’s not the general argument I’m making. I’m saying it shouldn’t be allowed in general, be it for dumb reasons, pride or political reasons.

- The comparison I made was to examplify the idiocy of someone doing what Shaqiri did if it was done in a different setting, to show why my argument is valid. That he did it for political reasons does not change the fact it’s dumb. The comparison is intended to showcase the dumbness of it by showing the same scenario in a non-political setting, hence showing why it shouldn’t be allowed - for dumbness, pride or political reasons.

Guest firetotheworks

It doesn't work because they're not conflicting, not just because it's political.

To simplify the concept even more:

Guy represents Brand A. During official representation of Brand A, guy wears equipment displaying Brand B.

In pretty much all rep deals that’s not allowed. You’d not be allowed to show up in Adidas to an official event where you’re meant to represent Nike. You’d not be allowed to use a Microsoft Surface to run your presentation from at an apple Keynote. It shouldn’t be allowed in International football to showcase another nation on your equipment when you’re representing another, no matter the reasoning. That’s the fucking point I’m making.

(Whilst the examples above would have it in a work contract, you are effictively employed by your FA when representing your nation and your FA follows FIFA rules and restrictions. I’m saying I think FIFA should put it in their rules regarding equipment that you can’t brandish other nations flags/logos on your shit when representing a nation.)

With that, I’m out of this discussion - to the certain joy of tons of people :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

You don't need to keep explaining it, I understand what you're saying. [emoji38] I just don't agree.