Miguel Almirón

Deuce

I thought the stick he was getting post match across socials for Sunday was OTT tbh as he was looking like our most likely source for a second goal. But he is an incredibly limited footballer and lacks serious technical quality; 5 assists and 20 goals in 147 PL appearances with 9 of those 20 goals coming across a 9 game period last season. There's nothing to suggest from the other 138 league appearances he's made for us that he'll repeat that. My God I hope he does as it seems like he's still got that starting spot but I doubt he will. Even away from G&A I think his general play is poor, is far too one footed which ends up hindering attacks.

I think a slight mistake was made in giving him that contract in February; I'd have cashed in this summer assuming there would've been takers. His value would never have been higher than it was after last season and he's not getting any younger at 29. Then we'd have been able to use the wriggle room from the funds from the sales of him and ASM for Barnes and someone like Diaby or Nico Williams whom we've been linked with.

Do also find it slightly bizarre if Barnes isn't starting soon, otherwise I've no idea why we spent ~£85m on two seemingly LWs in the last 6 months, especially after we sold ASM to finance one of them. Whilst the last recognised RW we signed before Almiron (who came as a #10 really) permanently was Murphy 6 years ago. We've needed an upgrade for a while now imo; I know FFP and that limits what we could do and we could well have went for one if those limitations weren't there but another window has gone by without one. Slow build and all that, I get it, but it's slightly frustrating for me.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

FFS how many times, the whole squad was largely pish when Cabbagehead was boss. The squad has turned it around very quickly. I don’t think it’s rocket science to suggest that there are major reasons why multiple players have experienced massive changes in fortune post takeover.

For example why are those so sure that the REAL Miggy is the Bruce era one; not expecting Joelinton to revert to the player he was under Bruce? After all there’s two and an half seasons worth of stats to back up that he can't kick a ball. Its the same rationale and evidence ias suggesting that last seasons Miggy was a total fluke.

Its not like the whole club, coaching staff and just general level of professionalism has been transformed, since these players MIRACULOUSLY (apparently) experienced upturns in form.

3 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

FFS how many times, the whole squad was largely pish when Cabbagehead was boss. The squad has turned it around very quickly. I don’t think it’s rocket science to suggest that there are major reasons why multiple players have experienced massive changes in fortune post takeover.

For example why are those so sure that the REAL Miggy is the Bruce era one; not expecting Joelinton to revert to the player he was under Bruce? After all there’s two and an half seasons worth of stats to back up that he can't kick a ball. Its the same rationale and evidence ias suggesting that last seasons Miggy was a total fluke.

Its not like the whole club, coaching staff and just general level of professionalism has been transformed, since these players MIRACULOUSLY (apparently) experienced upturns in form.

It's a valid point but with Joelinton you could see his development, most could tell he wasn't and out and out striker when Bruce was here fairly quickly. He was never used as such under Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim. With Almiron the issues of lacking real technical quality, missing more chances than he scores, not creating much for his team mates et cetera happened under Benitez, Bruce and now Howe. That got papered over by that scoring run he had last season imo, since then so far in the whole of 2023 he's scored 2 goals and has 1 assist in a front foot side that finished in the top 4 last season. Almiron has improved under Howe as opposed to where he was under Bruce but it boils down to whether if that's enough.

I dont think many see Almiron as the answer to RW past this window/season do they?

We've prioritised LB, CM, LW and (for some reason) RB. Its clear the next time we go 'big' itll be for right winger imo. Almiron presses really well but its clear as day he's technically limited and not really good enough if we want to kick on. His pressing and energy doesnt outweigh his limitations long term. The reason he hasnt gone id say is because we'll have to spend a lot if we want a quality right sided forward who can press, he did well last season and other positions have taken priority. We'll sign a replacement either in January or next summer and he'll either slip down the order or be moved on. 

As for this season, we can only work with what we've got. He's a big part of the pressing Howe is after but if we're playing a team thats going to sit back and implement low block, I'd have Gordon in for him. Perhaps even Murphy. His pressing is less useful then. But given our next two are Brighton and Brentford, who like to play, he'll start and probably rightly so. 

9 hours ago, et tu brute said:

The total lack of a right foot is a major issue and always will be. If you look at Gordon, he can use his weaker foot to provide service into the box. Miggy always cuts back onto his left and teams have wised up to this. It's got to be frustrating for the forwards also, who are making runs to find space when the ball is not coming in. 

He takes an age to cut back too. So. Many.  Touches. 

He’s starting because FFP limits what we can do and our top targets may not have wanted to come. 

He’s an excellent squad option and I think his pressing should be used as the benchmark for others for at least another season.  But a side finishing in the top 4 with him playing RW 2 seasons in a row would be miraculous. 

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He takes an age to cut back too. So. Many.  Touches. 

Yeah, one of the things that's quite glaring with him. Needs too many touches before doing something with the ball a lot of times. Almost like he needs that many touches to feel like he's got the ball under control. 

On 13/08/2023 at 00:51, Disco said:

Sources suggesting due to the lack of Paraguay away tops on the Chinese market about I’ve just bought a Cerro Porteño shirt. More as we get it.

Arriving tomorrow. Fuck the haters, howay the Miggy. 

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, one of the things that's quite glaring with him. Needs too many touches before doing something with the ball a lot of times. Almost like he needs that many touches to feel like he's got the ball under control. 

Just a lack of technique and ball control. It’s like he can only control and pass the ball with a couple areas on his foot.  

He tries though init. 

Almiron was one of our better players on Sunday. Can't believe he's getting stick. Only a worldie save and a post stopped him bagging two goals. And his tracking back was excellent. I can't remember anyone else really having a shot - Gordon's goal aside.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Just a lack of technique and ball control. It’s like he can only control and pass the ball with a couple areas on his foot.  

He tries though init. 

He's actually been good the last two games, but just moments of huge frustration as usual.

Did really well at one point to beat a Liverpool defender for pace to the by line and just needed to hit it across the post with his right foot, and then came the dreaded turn back onto his left and the opportunity was gone.

My heart sank man. Couldn't believe it. Even a mishit with the right in that moment still causes problems. Just hit it with your right foot man.

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

He's actually been good the last two games, but just moments of huge frustration as usual.

Did really well at one point to beat a Liverpool defender for pace to the by line and just needed to hit it across the post with his right foot, and then came the dreaded turn back onto his left and the opportunity was gone.

My heart sank man. Couldn't believe it. Even a mishit with the right in that moment still causes problems. Just hit it with your right foot man.

I didn’t think he offered any threat against Liverpool. He did manage to get on the end of some chances but he didn’t score them anyway. If you’re not going to be dangerous in build up - you need to take your chances when they come.  I don’t expect him to finish those type of chances anyway. 

I thought he looked our most dangerous layer against city mind but again just lacking in that crucial element of class and ability.

Both offensively and defensively his off the ball work is really good. 

Was it Maradona who said that his father only gave him one shoe at a time, so that he got good with both feet? Eddie should do that to Almiron in training. When you play football almost every single day of your life, there is no excuse to not use one of the two feet you have.

Miggy is a funny one, our best chances come through him and he was unlucky not to score both hitting the post and a worldy of a save. His complete lack of a right foot, the constant cutting back is extremely frustrating and with simply pressure

chances to finish teams off I just don’t think he’s clinical enough. He’s a great squad player, brings great energy but as others have said he’s not the answer moving forward at RW. We need someone who scares the big teams and is an ice cool finisher.

My other main concern would be Howe just continuing with Miggy RW and not trying to mix it up a bit with say Barnes and Gordon starting and moving Gordon RW or something.

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I didn’t think he offered any threat against Liverpool. He did manage to get on the end of some chances but he didn’t score them anyway. If you’re not going to be dangerous in build up - you need to take your chances when they come.  I don’t expect him to finish those type of chances anyway. 

I thought he looked our most dangerous layer against city mind but again just lacking in that crucial element of class and ability.

Not sure if these posts are parodies or not anymore. Didnt offer any threat?

All our players struggled with build up play that game. Almiron atleast got into threatining positions and created some threat by himself aswell.

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think he was really unlucky with the wonder save from Allison on the volley, and on the one that hit the post, it was a great run in the lead up to cutting in and shooting.

One of those goes in and we're all going crazy, as either would have been great goals. However they didn't, unfortunately.

And so when you then look at the other general bits of play it's a bit frustrating because so many simple or straightforward things he could do to put us in better positions, he can often not get right.

32 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Not sure if these posts are parodies or not anymore. Didnt offer any threat?

All our players struggled with build up play that game. Almiron atleast got into threatining positions and created some threat by himself aswell.

It beggars belief man. This coming from posters who claim they know their football :lol:

45 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Must have missed him running from inside his own half with the ball and hitting the post ?‍♂️

The volley too.

Miggy is capable of some fantastic things, but for me it's the difficulty with the simple things that happen far more often through each game, that is so so frustrating.

I think we can al agree he’s frustratingly one footed and can spoil promising moments. Where we differ is that some can’t see beyond that and appreciate that pretty much every game some offensive things he does do come off to create some of our best chances, and that beyond that he offers a hell of a lot in terms of pressing, which is how Howe wants his team to play.

We will hopefully upgrade Miggy in time, but people who think we’d replace him easily or without spending a king’s ransom are deluding themselves.

Sometimes Miggy tries too hard but he's been very unlucky not to be on a few goals.

Maybe some fans would like to see him benched but in the top gun mindset when Jester says he won't engage and just might not make it back, Viper will respond with "keep sending him out."

Yeehar  wor Miggy, let's go ballistic. Let's turn and burn.

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

It beggars belief man. This coming from posters who claim they know their football :lol:

Man ... 

If you can't understand the points I've made regarding Miggy in my last couple of posts then we'll just never agree on this. I totally understand where TCD is coming from on Miggy. 

So often I'm watching him thinking to myself release the ball and he's taken another few too many touches, or willing him to take on a defender in space that can't live with him speed wise and instead he goes backwards to Trippier, when he goes by a man on the right side and is on the byline and can just knock a ball into the area on his right, he instead spins back onto his left and passes back into midfield ... Regularly through matches these sorts of instances of poor decision making and execution.

Adds a lot of good things to the team, but also holds the team back to some degree.

Love the guy and always root for him, but can be really frustrating to watch.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Man ... 

If you can't understand the points I've made regarding Miggy in my last couple of posts then we'll just never agree on this. I totally understand where TCD is coming from on Miggy. 

So often I'm watching him thinking to myself release the ball and he's taken another few too many touches, or willing him to take on a defender in space that can't live with him speed wise and instead he goes backwards to Trippier, when he goes by a man on the right side and is on the byline and can just knock a ball into the area on his right, he instead spins back onto his left and passes back into midfield ... Regularly through matches these sorts of instances of poor decision making and execution.

Adds a lot of good things to the team, but also holds the team back to some degree.

Love the guy and always root for him, but can be really frustrating to watch.

You agree with TCD that Miggy didn’t offer any threat vs Liverpool? Seriously..?

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

You agree with TCD that Miggy didn’t offer any threat vs Liverpool? Seriously..?

If you read my posts you'll see I pointed out specifically the good things Miggy did in the game, so no.

I agreed with his general observations on Miggy as a player.