Miguel Almirón

Deuce

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

£8.5 million is a poor offer to be fair.

Not for a MLS club? Id live to get 12-15 for Almiron but no other clubs bar Saudi have been linked..Do we think Almiron has another purple patch in him ? 

42 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

177 games in the PL for us.

23 goals. 6 (!) assists.

Take away that purple patch...

He's a great athlete and a shite footballer. 

And you wonder why no decent club will touch him?

Ah come on, man. He’s a good player. Eminently capable of being improved upon but to my mind he’s been a lot more good than bad. Worst you can say is he’s frustrating.

1 minute ago, johnny36 said:

Yes, I would be happy with 8.5 for Almiron..He wont move to Saudi for 20-25  million..I dont see anybody else after him..Its the same with Wilson..We might value them at 20 million but we havent been offered it

I don't expect that we would get anything close to that kind of money from Saudi. But he's better than £8.5m in todays market is what I'm saying. 

His goals and assist stats may be questionable but he has other attributes that could be more important in certain games next season than £8.5m is right now.

I don't honestly know how people can watch Almiron regularly for 5 years and convince themselves hes a good player. I have nothing against him but he's not good enough and hasn't been for a while.

18 minutes ago, johnny36 said:

If we turned down 8.5 million for Almiron then I dont want Eales or Howe to mention PSR affecting us ever again..We had a chance to move on players (Trippier in Jan) and now Almiron and refused both..Cant have it both ways

£12m for Trippier last January would have done absolutely fuck all to fix the PSR mess we got in, not sure what you point there is

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

£8.5 million is a poor offer to be fair.

Maybe, but it’s likely the best offer we get and he will leave for less next summer or beyond.

Similar to Trippier, he's worth more to us than he's worth as a transfer fee unfortunately. At some point you have to pull the trigger, but the inevitability is that you'll pay a lot more to replace what you lose. Personally think £15m isn't an unreasonable asking price.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Menace said:

I don't honestly know how people can watch Almiron regularly for 5 years and convince themselves hes a good player. I have nothing against him but he's not good enough and hasn't been for a while.

The 5 years is irrelevent tbh, all players have new worth under Howe. We wouldn't rate Joelinton based on his whole time here either, it's just the Howe era that matters. By that measure Almiron clearly has value. 

2 minutes ago, ads said:

I don't expect that we would get anything close to that kind of money from Saudi. But he's better than £8.5m in todays market is what I'm saying. 

His goals and assist stats may be questionable but he has other attributes that could be more important in certain games next season than £8.5m is right now.

Thats fair..I love Almiron.. but 6 assists in 5.5 years is terrible..If Almiron starts this season then all the pressure is on Gordon and Bruno etc to provide assists for Isak if our right winger cant..He is a workhorse and will run forever but his main job as a winger is to be a "door opener" as Souness would say and thats not happening

1 minute ago, Menace said:

I find it odd as well. I like him but reading comments like

1. He is a good player

2. Frustrating

3. Unproductive

4. Lack of natural football ability 

5. He worths more than 10m even he is 30 years old with no resale value

doesn’t make sense to me, they all don’t add up

We probably should have sold Trippier in January as well to be honest.

However given his output last year (and throughout most of his time here) I'd say we should be taking any actual fee for Almiron and finding a replacement. 

Our recruitment has generally been very good since the takeover, but I think our overall squad management and selling isn't as anywhere near as calculated as it should be.

Hopefully there's something lined up elsewhere.

It's maybe not as much as we would have hoped for but if we end up keeping him as a bit part player for a year and then him walking for nowt it seems like a fairly shite use of resources for a club super pressed for financial wiggle room. Looks like that's what's gonna happen with Wilson and possibly a few others too.

Not to go all PSR nonce, but selling Almiron for 8m and getting his 100k wages off the books and signing Madueke for 40m on a 100k, five year contract is fairly close to breaking even for the upcoming year.

4 minutes ago, janpawel said:

How many years left on his contract? If 1 then taking the fee is a no brainier imo 

He signed 3 and half year deal last year 

11 minutes ago, Menace said:

Well both Rafael Benitez and Eddie Howe picked him frequently, and in my view both of them are good judges of quality.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Mental we gave him that imo.

Depends on what his salary is. He’s not a Ryan Fraser.

Edited by LFEE

It's not really about Miggy being good or bad, it's about his strengths and weaknesses and what people value. We know he's limited as a creator and scorer, but he runs endlessly and works his arse off. That's what managers are looking at, especially managers who need to think of defence (Benitez) or pressing (Howe).

He's obviously now not of the level we want to be at, I don't think anyone denies that. 

He’s obviously available, yet the only suitor is a mediocre MLS side - I’m not sure we would be getting much more for him tbh.

I like Almiron - I think he comes across as a good pro, and always puts in a shift.  I also don’t think he has ever been a particularly good footballer - his output has been ludicrously bad, especially outside of his purple patch - Howe extracted the most you’ll ever get from his talents, but it was an error not to try to sell him in the summer of 2023 when a PL club might have mistaken a mediocre player who was benefitting from excellent coaching, for an excellent player

I still feel he was unlucky to sign for Rafa to play with Rondon and Perez and ended up spending so much time under Bruce. 

FWIW I thought in pre-season he was looking to run inside a lot more and get into different areas.

Probably will leave anyway, so not worth too much energy on the debate.