Miguel Almirón

Deuce

2 hours ago, Gawalls said:

doesn't mean he has to live in the middle of a friggin desert if he doesn't want to.

Yeah I already said he's got a contract and he can sit it out if he wants to in an earlier post. He has to look after his own interests and we have to look after ours. No other club is going to pay us £30m for him so pardon me for hoping he can be persuaded with some extra padding to his Saudi pay packet.

Edited by TRon

6 hours ago, TRon said:

How hard could it be to persuade a player to go to Saudi? 

A player who wants to keep competing at the highest level, in front of big crowds of fanatical and knowledgeable supporters?  Who has motivations other than just maximizing his income? Who enjoys living in a civilized country with a temperate climate? Whose family is settled and happy where they are?

Pretty hard, I suspect.

1 minute ago, GideonShandy said:

A player who wants to keep competing at the highest level, in front of big crowds of fanatical and knowledgeable supporters?  Who has motivations other than just maximizing his income? Who enjoys living in a civilized country with a temperate climate? Whose family is settled and happy where they are?

Pretty hard, I suspect.

If I was him I'd be off like a shot, he'd treble his wage at least and he knows he would be a bit part player next season.

Just now, GideonShandy said:

Pretty hard, I suspect.

Or more likely he’s just been smiling, while someone has been talking him through it in English and he still can’t understand a word. 

Totally understand if the bloke doesn’t want to move to KSA, who would?  

Less sympathetic to the ‘he’s settled on Tyneside’ patter.  He’s a professional footballer, moving around is what happens.  It’s one of the downsides to the considerable upsides of that life.

Sitting on a contract if a club has shown it wants you out isn’t usually viewed as a positive by football supporters, either.  I don’t think we owe the lad. 

3 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Or more likely he’s just been smiling, while someone has been talking him through it in English and he still can’t understand a word. 

He's managed to live in English-speaking countries for a decade without bothering to learn the lingo.  I’m sure he’d also not bother to learn Arabic

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He's managed to live in English-speaking countries for a decade without bothering to learn the lingo.  I’m sure he’d also not bother to learn Arabic

I'm sure I've seen a vid knocking around of him speaking English?

6 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Agree on the first point but on the second - we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. We could have a replacement lined up and ready to go if/when a deal for Almiron is done.

The Isak deal springs to mind - nothing for weeks then suddenly he's on a plane here.

Isak deal was entirely reactive to Wilson’s injury and the Man City performance. Without that we sign Joao Pedro for half the money and wages. 

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Isak deal was entirely reactive to Wilson’s injury and the Man City performance. Without that we sign Joao Pedro for half the money and wages. 

Exactly my point - we've shown that we can move to get a deal done quickly if circumstances change. In the above example it's Wilson's injury, in the post I was responding too it was the (hypothetical) sale of Almiron.

I may be misremembering but was Burn similar? We spent quite a while chasing Botman then quickly pivoted to Burn when we couldn't agree on a price? My son was only about a week old at that point so that whole transfer window is a bit of a blur if I'm honest [emoji38]

Didn’t we enquire about Isak start of window and were put off by the £70m release fee? We only agreed to go back and offer close to that after Wilson got injured and Wood was so bad against Wolves we genuinely looked better (and nearly pinched it) with no striker on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Didn’t we enquire about Isak start of window and were put off by the £70m release fee? We only agreed to go back and offer close to that after Wilson got injured and Wood was so bad against Wolves we genuinely looked better (and nearly pinched it) with no striker on the pitch.

We’d already signed Isak by that Wolves game. 

2 hours ago, GideonShandy said:

Pretty hard, I suspect.

That sort of player is worth his weight in brass. I don't have a bad word to say about him, but I'm hoping we are growing as a club beyond what we were when Steve Bruce was manager. We want to keep progressing to the next level, our goal shouldn't be to keep happy players otherwise Jonjo and Ciaran Clark would still be here.

I always thought Miggy would be a good back up RW for a year. And an example to new starters.  

Looks like we won’t have that luxury. We’ll have a thin but quality squad for some time I guess.  

We really need more youth that can be used as backup.  

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

That sort of player is worth his weight in brass. I don't have a bad word to say about him, but I'm hoping we are growing as a club beyond what we were when Steve Bruce was manager. We want to keep progressing to the next level, our goal shouldn't be to keep happy players otherwise Jonjo and Ciaran Clark would still be here.

Honestly, there are some who I suspect wouldn’t sell anyone other than Hendrick and Hayden.  The squad needs significant refreshing - that will involve selling players.  Footballers are surely aware of the nomadic career that most will have - I bet Almiron is, given that he hasn’t spent his career in Paraguay.  Not sure when a ‘players happiness’ came into whether or not a club should look to sell. 

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I always thought Miggy would be a good back up RW for a year. And an example to new starters.  

Looks like we won’t have that luxury. We’ll have a thin but quality squad for some time I guess.  

We really need more youth that can be used as backup.  

We don’t have that luxury, as you’ve said.  The club needs to sell saleable assets - it’s the ‘Almiron or Bruno’ question.  You either sell the players who aren’t going to take you to another level for what you can get, or you sell the ones who can but bring in even more money.  

I don't get it, why would we need to put out a cover story about illness or injury if they are in the middle of moving on? Maybe they are actually just ill/injured. :lol: