Shay Given

Guest Douga

Nobody can queston his shot stopping. But his distrubution( kicking) is awful. He takes too long on the ball and never comes out for crosses. Butn he still keeps us in games with his shot stopping. 

A lot of people mention this and I have to say yesterday his kicking was very poor, but fkn hell I am happy we have a keeper that the only complaint we can have is about his kicking.

He does get some very poor back passes to deal with though aswell.

Huntington  a fans favourite??? Please

Well someone most will stick up for.

Considering Babayaro apparently had another shite game yesterday its strange you pick on the young defender who came in did well and our fantastic keeper.

Huntington  a fans favourite??? Please

Well someone most will stick up for.

Considering Babayaro apparently had another shite game yesterday its strange you pick on the young defender who came in did well and our fantastic keeper.

WUM-tastic!!!!!!

Givens one of the best on the planet, if we didnt have him i'd hate to imagine how many points would havebeen lost over the years. Once he has a stable defence i'd imagine his distribution would change somewhat and start playing it to the hopefully decent right and left backs i'd hope to have by next season/January. Nobby included as 1.

the sad fact of the matter is that if we had a half decent defence who were able to pass the ball out of defence (see: arse, chelsea, mancs...) we wouldn't need a keeper who knows his only half option is to "lump it" :roll:

the sad fact of the matter is that if we had a half decent defence who were able to pass the ball out of defence (see: arse, chelsea, mancs...) we wouldn't need a keeper who knows his only half option is to "lump it" :roll:

I'd say it's more the midfield rarely showing for the ball, rather than the defence not being able to play it out to them, but I agree with the general point you make: there's little point playing it short if it's just going to come straight back at you.

Guest Knightrider

Knowing Shay's perfectionism and game intelligence, I think it's more a tactic than a weakness and/or an innate distrust in the distribution/ball retention skills of those in front of him, the defence. By all accounts Shay is very comfortable on the ball and practices a lot his kicking, throwing and general distribution.

Strange smell of oats round here.  unsure.gif

Thought there was something up when someone brings up one of my famous criticisms.

As I see it, his kicking is better with Souness and Shearer gone but could still be much much better.

It isa problem for all British - lack of technique coaching from a young age. I'm hoping Krul learnt quite a bit in Holland before he came here. Regardless, Given's replacement should be foreign (hopefully Krul) as I believe that a good foreign keeper is better than a good British keeper these days.

Knowing Shay's perfectionism and game intelligence, I think it's more a tactic than a weakness and/or an innate distrust in the distribution/ball retention skills of those in front of him, the defence. By all accounts Shay is very comfortable on the ball and practices a lot his kicking, throwing and general distribution.

It is a tactic to kick the ball straight out of play for a throw in to the other team? Sorry but his kicking is shite.