Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Guest covmag

Has there been owt said today?

Tried my best to avoid the internet whilst at work and can see the thread has grown 9 pages since I last checked.

Of course there hasn’t.

Sick of this club now like.

:rolleyes:

The fanbase is a completely different one to what it was in 1988. Most of the people who turn up now aren't capable of showing the hostility the crowd of 30 years ago could.

This is a nonsense cliche that has grown over recent years. The modern-day SJP crowd is not all that different to that from the 1980s. People in the stadium are simply quietly depressed but they are still capable of getting every bit as angry at a game than any of the 80s lot. NUFC are not Chelsea FFS, it's a club comprised of people largely from an ordinary/lower working class background and most of those people are in it for the long haul, no matter what.

I was there in the late 80s and remember it all vividly. The main parts of the ground where all of the vitriol came from were the Gallowgate Corner & Scoreboard. Even the West Gallowgate was considered to be full of what would now be called "customers" but it was enough for the Corner and Scoreboard to create the anarchy that started off the snowball of negativity around the club. Most of those in the 20,000 crowds that we were getting back then used to simply shrug their shoulders at it all too but the small pocket of militancy was enough to turn it all to shit and send us into the 2nd Division.

SJP may have 50000 crowds next season but will only take 1000 of the remaining vociferous ones to start off a new spiral of doom.

The main part of the ground where all the vitriol came from in the late 1980s was the Milburn Stand (Leazes section) so you've got it wrong straight away. They made it more uncomfortable for McKeag (to the point where he couldn't go to games for his own safety) than the Gallowgate, or the young lads in the Leazes did.

I never said that the Gallowgate Corner/Scoreboard were the only places that had militant elements. Yes, I remember the Milburn Stand Leazes wing very well and they did make a racket too, but the main dissidence came from the Gallowgate.

That's probably the only difference in the SJP crowd now...you wouldn't get that kind of intimidation from the Milburn Stand. You can thank Freddie Fletcher for that though with the disgraceful bond scheme that ended up in most of those lads being chucked out of their seats in the Milburn.

You said the main parts of the ground where the vitriol came from was the Gallowgate Corner and Scoreboard. I'm simply saying that wasn't the case. The Milburn stand leazes section were far more vocal (and effective due to their proximity) in their chants against McKeag than the Gallowgate. Today's crowd have sat and suffered Ashley in silence for years now. If you are suddenly expecting them to explode in a fit of rage next season I think you might end up disappointed.

Your saying that a hundred or so people in the Milburn were more influential than a fair few thousand in the Gallowgate? Not a chance man. For a start, those in the Mllburn had the benefit of a roof over their heads, which amplified their noise. No doubt they were the main source of intimidation for McKeag and co but that's not the point I am making. The nasty atmosphere in the stadium was generated mainly by those on the terraces.

The atmosphere in SJP next season won't need to be at the intimidation level of 1988/89 to have the effect of sending the club into a spiral, it just needs to be suitably negative. And with no Rafa to keep the ship afloat that is what is nailed on to happen.

it's difficult not to feel skeptical when people have been saying 'tomorrow' for weeks and weeks on end

Remember that, in all likelihood, nobody outside of the handful of people directly involved in the deal knows absolutely anything at all, if anybody is even involved in anything at all to begin with... It'll either happen or it won't, but constantly refreshing on here, twitter and wherever else is always just going to be an exercise in frustration because literally everyone is clueless, attention seeking or agenda-driven :thup:

Because that's all through Sports Direct. While Ashley still owns 60% and is the driving force behind the business, it funds itself through its own cash generation and its own banking facilities. Ashley made his cash when he floated SD (I think he originally sold down to 50%-ish) but it's years since SD paid a dividend to shareholders nor has it been out raising new funds from them. So all of these acquisitions have been funded from operations and incremental debt. SD is a very cash-generative business and MA has pushed the business to use these funds on acquisitions rather than on paying a dividend to shareholders, clearly some of those proceeds have gone up in smoke in the interim.

So if SD performs poorly, the value of MA's shares will fall, but this is all on paper- he's not actually incurring a cash loss. So it's not like he's lost cash on Debenhams and needs to recoup it somewhere else (unless he's living off a margin loan secured on his SD shares- unlikely but stranger things have happened).

Staggering how he's managed to increase the debt whilst spending nothing on players, full houses every week and Sky throwing money at him.like it's going out of fashion.

Not really, it's just maths. Debt jumped when he pumped in extra cash on the back of the relegations. He's taken two dividends out since- one after the Carroll sale and one in the last 12 months. Realistically, he can't keep the club running like it is without risking relegation and with it the TV money which dwarfs all other revenue streams and then he's back to putting cash back in again. It really is the perfect time to sell.

it's difficult not to feel skeptical when people have been saying 'tomorrow' for weeks and weeks on end

Remember that, in all likelihood, nobody outside of the handful of people directly involved in the deal knows absolutely anything at all, if anybody is even involved in anything at all to begin with... It'll either happen or it won't, but constantly refreshing on here, twitter and wherever else is always just going to be an exercise in frustration because literally everyone is clueless, attention seeking or agenda-driven :thup:

Or a massive cunt. Mainly massive cunts when it comes to football fans on the internet. Believe that.

The fanbase is a completely different one to what it was in 1988. Most of the people who turn up now aren't capable of showing the hostility the crowd of 30 years ago could.

This is a nonsense cliche that has grown over recent years. The modern-day SJP crowd is not all that different to that from the 1980s. People in the stadium are simply quietly depressed but they are still capable of getting every bit as angry at a game than any of the 80s lot. NUFC are not Chelsea FFS, it's a club comprised of people largely from an ordinary/lower working class background and most of those people are in it for the long haul, no matter what.

I was there in the late 80s and remember it all vividly. The main parts of the ground where all of the vitriol came from were the Gallowgate Corner & Scoreboard. Even the West Gallowgate was considered to be full of what would now be called "customers" but it was enough for the Corner and Scoreboard to create the anarchy that started off the snowball of negativity around the club. Most of those in the 20,000 crowds that we were getting back then used to simply shrug their shoulders at it all too but the small pocket of militancy was enough to turn it all to shit and send us into the 2nd Division.

SJP may have 50000 crowds next season but will only take 1000 of the remaining vociferous ones to start off a new spiral of doom.

The main part of the ground where all the vitriol came from in the late 1980s was the Milburn Stand (Leazes section) so you've got it wrong straight away. They made it more uncomfortable for McKeag (to the point where he couldn't go to games for his own safety) than the Gallowgate, or the young lads in the Leazes did.

I never said that the Gallowgate Corner/Scoreboard were the only places that had militant elements. Yes, I remember the Milburn Stand Leazes wing very well and they did make a racket too, but the main dissidence came from the Gallowgate.

That's probably the only difference in the SJP crowd now...you wouldn't get that kind of intimidation from the Milburn Stand. You can thank Freddie Fletcher for that though with the disgraceful bond scheme that ended up in most of those lads being chucked out of their seats in the Milburn.

You said the main parts of the ground where the vitriol came from was the Gallowgate Corner and Scoreboard. I'm simply saying that wasn't the case. The Milburn stand leazes section were far more vocal (and effective due to their proximity) in their chants against McKeag than the Gallowgate. Today's crowd have sat and suffered Ashley in silence for years now. If you are suddenly expecting them to explode in a fit of rage next season I think you might end up disappointed.

Your saying that a hundred or so people in the Milburn were more influential than a fair few thousand in the Gallowgate? Not a chance man. For a start, those in the Mllburn had the benefit of a roof over their heads, which amplified their noise. No doubt they were the main source of intimidation for McKeag and co but that's not the point I am making. The nasty atmosphere in the stadium was generated mainly by those on the terraces.

The atmosphere in SJP next season won't need to be at the intimidation level of 1988/89 to have the effect of sending the club into a spiral, it just needs to be suitably negative. And with no Rafa to keep the ship afloat that is what is nailed on to happen.

It was a lot more than 100 like  :lol:

In fact until Keegan arrived in February 1992 it was the noisiest part of the ground for a good 2/3 years. There's zero hostility inside that stadium now. People would rather sit in silence or boo at a misplaced pass than aim any abuse at the directors box, not that Ashley makes many appearances these days anyway. Most of the militant ones have already walked away.

Been watching this thread for an age and it’s meandered so much I’m going to bowl in with some thoughts and stories of zero value...

I went to league cup final last year and was sat with a group i didn’t know. One was a lawyer (firm I forget) who was insistent there was any number of bids that had been made for us and Ashley messed them all around to the extent no one in Middle East would touch him with a shitty stick. The one he had got close with was two Kuwaiti brothers who fell out midway through due to Ashley being awkward! To make this more relevant, once I finished that convo I started talking to the girl on my right. She was lovely and mentioned she was into singing and acting. Then mentioned she used to be married to Mark Bright and was friends with Les Ferdinand. It was only after I’d left I googled and found out it was 90s Eastenders favourite Michelle Gayle.

Re Pinsent Masons. Working on them on a property deal at the mo (they represent the whole Portman Estate). Literally ignored my email entirely asking if they had any info on a Newcastle takeover. I sincerely hope I’m wrong Odin, but the idea that anyone from a law firm gave you any insight on this seems so unlikely. My missus worked on a takeover while working at Lazard and she wouldn’t tell me the companies involved until it completed and was made public. 

Re Pinsent Masons. Working on them on a property deal at the mo (they represent the whole Portman Estate). Literally ignored my email entirely asking if they had any info on a Newcastle takeover. I sincerely hope I’m wrong Odin, but the idea that anyone from a law firm gave you any insight on this seems so unlikely. My missus worked on a takeover while working at Lazard and she wouldn’t tell me the companies involved until it completed and was made public. 

Yeah, you're not likely to get info like that in written form.

Or a massive cunt. Mainly massive cunts when it comes to football fans on the internet. Believe that.

Cheers Big Dog.

Ha. I’ll ask them on the phone tomorrow. Request was more tongue in cheek as been talking to the guys there for last 12 weeks

Then mentioned she used to be married to Mark Bright and was friends with Les Ferdinand. It was only after I’d left I googled and found out it was 90s Eastenders favourite Michelle Gayle.

Looks like the Takeover is back on.

They might have recorded lines. Unless you can get them out for beer somewhere noisy you've no chance.

They won’t tell me anything about any takeover. Moreover they won’t know. At a mid tier investment bank dealing with M&A as a daily task there was a team of 10 or so who knew what they were working on. Law firms likely the same or less. There will be Chinese Walls and NDAs all over the shop.

Guest covmag

In fact until Keegan arrived in February 1992 it was the noisiest part of the ground for a good 2/3 years. There's zero hostility inside that stadium now. People would rather sit in silence or boo at a misplaced pass than aim any abuse at the directors box, not that Ashley makes many appearances these days anyway. Most of the militant ones have already walked away.

have to agree, the paddocks were the place to be pre 1992  O0

Ha. I’ll ask them on the phone tomorrow. Request was more tongue in cheek as been talking to the guys there for last 12 weeks

Why bother if there's no deal because no one in the Middle East will touch him with a shitty stick ?

have to agree, the paddocks were the place to be pre 1992  O0

E Paddock, underneath all the singers in the Milburn Stand, was absolutely brilliant!

Guest chopey

I got told off a few years ago for leaving early by two full kit wanker women with a picnic basket on their laps

Didn't happen.

I beg your pardon

Ok, a couple of hundred maybe. Disagree that they were the noisiest, as I say they just had the benefit of a roof.

There has been zero hostility over the last few years simply due to Rafa holding it all together. Once he has gone that will change, no doubt about it. Again, probably not on the intimidating level of 1988/89 but the vibe will be equally as negative.

Why bother if there's no deal because no one in the Middle East will touch him with a shitty stick ?

I mean, that was well over a year ago and a drunk man in a bar telling me. He could have easily have not worked anywhere in the legal profession. That bit was all about me subtly searching for Michelle Gayle nudes

I wish people would stop having meltdowns because the takeover didn’t happen today because some freak on twitter said it would.

Examine the facts. BZG made 2 statements, the second to clarify the first. They said terms had been agreed and signed by both parties and sent to the PL.

They have also said that proof of funds were sent to Ashley’s legal team on 17th April.

Ashley has not refuted any of this.

The PL has issues a no comment any time asked, just like they should.

The club keep issuing a no comment as well as they are bound to by the terms of the NDA.

Right now this is firmly with Pinsent Masons and Ashley’s lawyers to sort out.

There’s no last minute moving of goal posts, any of that would have happened in the negotiating stage which happened before April 17.

Just for perspective, we were a PLC when Ashley bought us. The first news of it broke on the 23rd May that he’d bought 40something percent of the club.

It wasn’t until the end of June before he’d bought up the remaining shares.

These things take time.

Also, St James Holdings were incorporated on the 21st May and the next step was a Resolution of Memorandum which happened on the 12th June of 2007.

Still have total confidence that this is happening. 👍