Copa America 2019

I haven’t enjoyed this tourney at all. Usually a fan of copa America.

Why can’t they combine North and South - having USA, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica et al would be so much better

Why can’t they combine North and South - having USA, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica et al would be so much better

Copa America usually has USA and Mexico in invites 4 teams but because Concacaf gold cup is on at same time couldn't do that this year hence why Japan and Qatar got invited

Next years copa America will have USA and Mexico in it

I only watch Argentina but thought the game last night was great. Best Argentina looked in a while, hope Messi stays on

If that is true than theyve been really poor lately. Nothing special from them last night. Lots of complains about the ref but he was lettibg them tackle for fun last night. VAR really messed up that Otamendi oenalty however, but thought Brazil looked as they’ve done under Tite, organized and efficient (not counting that game against Belgiun).

They have been really poor lately :lol: Last night was a 50:50 game up until I stopped watching after the second goal IMO

I only watch Argentina but thought the game last night was great. Best Argentina looked in a while, hope Messi stays on

If that is true than theyve been really poor lately. Nothing special from them last night. Lots of complains about the ref but he was lettibg them tackle for fun last night. VAR really messed up that Otamendi oenalty however, but thought Brazil looked as they’ve done under Tite, organized and efficient (not counting that game against Belgiun).

They have been really poor lately :lol: Last night was a 50:50 game up until I stopped watching after the second goal IMO

:thup: I mean yeah it was a pretty even match, but while Messi complained about two potential penalties (only thought the Arthur on Otamendi was one) it was ridiculous how they could fly into tackles with studs up without getting cards. Paredes could've easily been booked three times and Acuna as well. Thought Brazil looked pretty comfortable. They hit the crossbar on a header from a free-kick and then Messi hit the post from a ball that bounced his way. Messi was good last night, shame the rest of his team is poor.

Copa America usually has USA and Mexico in invites 4 teams but because Concacaf gold cup is on at same time couldn't do that this year hence why Japan and Qatar got invited

There are three factually incorrect statements there. :lol:

Which are??

Which are??

1. U.S. isn’t usually invited, only twice in the past 25 years and four times ever

2. Two invited teams, not four

3. Australia and Qatar are the invited teams next year

Which are??

1. U.S. isn’t usually invited, only twice in the past 25 years and four times ever

2. Two invited teams, not four

3. Australia and Qatar are the invited teams next year

Yeah I've just read that. 4 teams were invited when the US hosted the centenary

Argies crying foul play over the Brazil result. To be honest, despite the hyperbole, it does look dodgy and it is worrying to see VAR (mis)used like this. Brazil are the hosts and their president did a "lap of honour" at half time. Not the kind of game you want to be losing to Argentina. The one on Otamendi is so obvious that there's no excuse now with the tech. The TV cameras caught it no problem. The other one resulted in an immediate goal on the counter, and surely has to be reviewed. To not even review either does sound like something went on.

Argies crying foul play over the Brazil result. To be honest, despite the hyperbole, it does look dodgy and it is worrying to see VAR (mis)used like this. Brazil are the hosts and their president did a "lap of honour" at half time. Not the kind of game you want to be losing to Argentina. The one on Otamendi is so obvious that there's no excuse now with the tech. The TV cameras caught it no problem. The other one resulted in an immediate goal on the counter, and surely has to be reviewed. To not even review either does sound like something went on.

:lol: what the hell does the president walking around the stadium have anything to do with it? Also, both penaltiws are up for debate although I do believe that the Otamendi one was a penalty. But as Tim Vickery put nowadays everything in the box is a penalty in this VAR era.. Anyone that watched the game will see that the ref was horrible, not biased. Paredes and Acuna could easily have been sent off in the first half. Agueros crossbar header came from a freekick that was given wrongly as Casemiro got the ball and in the 2nd half Messi got two great freekicks that were wrongly called (one of them for handball on a Brazilain player, despite Lautaro putingt his hands on the ball first). Also anyone that knows South American football is very aware of the fact that Brazil has extremely little influence in the CONMEBOL.

Oh and both were reviewed by the VAR refs.

:lol: what the hell does the president walking around the stadium have anything to do with it? Also, both penaltiws are up for debate although I do believe that the Otamendi one was a penalty. But as Tim Vickery put nowadays everything in the box is a penalty in this VAR era.. Anyone that watched the game will see that the ref was horrible, not biased. Paredes and Acuna could easily have been sent off in the first half. Agueros crossbar header came from a freekick that was given wrongly as Casemiro got the ball and in the 2nd half Messi got two great freekicks that were wrongly called (one of them for handball on a Brazilain player, despite Lautaro putingt his hands on the ball first). Also anyone that knows South American football is very aware of the fact that Brazil has extremely little influence in the CONMEBOL.

The Aguero/Alves incident was much more a penalty than the Otamendi one. Also, there have been reports that the VAR officials suggested the referee take a look at both of them which he refused to do.

The Aguero/Alves incident was much more a penalty than the Otamendi one. Also, there have been reports that the VAR officials suggested the referee take a look at both of them which he refused to do.

Ball is cleared before the foul even occurs. Theres angles showing both looking at the ball. Aguero even steps on alves foot. That’s never a penalty. No one would even care about that play if it wasn’t inside the box. I found it wxtremely weird he didnt take a look at the Otamendi one however. Personally that was a penalty. But the conspiracies are ridiculous.

I've thought this as well. Surely it makes more sense to combine north and south?

I've thought this as well. Surely it makes more sense to combine north and south?

Maybe, but there are 41 teams in CONCACAF that would have to be accounted for. So you’d probably have to institute pre-tourney qualifying, which would be prohibitively expensive for the minnows and logistically difficult for everybody. Western Hemisphere is a big place.

Maybe, but there are 41 teams in CONCACAF that would have to be accounted for. So you’d probably have to institute pre-tourney qualifying, which would be prohibitively expensive for the minnows and logistically difficult for everybody. Western Hemisphere is a big place.

A lot of those are never going to make the tournament ever so you could probably eliminate a large chunk of the minnows with some sort of localised qualifying (maybe a Carribean tournament?).