Joelinton

Stifler

7 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Problem with the system is.

The limit is 1 pint.

90% of drinkers will have 1 pint and be fine to drive. Breathalyser check may equate to being below the limit.

I am 10yr sober. So 1 pint of piss fosters and I would be swerving all over the road. Get the book chucked at me and get a 20 month ban and a fine. Kill someone and do a long stretch.

If you have even the slightest of doubts before getting in the car. Don’t drive.

Joe knew full well that he may possibly fail the test. Just like Joe blogs after a swift pint before driving home. 

You take a gamble. Expect to accept the consequences.

You say that, but he might actually not know the law as someone who is not from here. I’ve no idea if it’s something the club educates the players in but it’s not like it’s plastered across adverts or anything. It’s very feasible that he thought he wasn’t over the limit (he may also have known he wasn’t, but we don’t know). I lived in Singapore for 3 years (approx same time as he’s been in England) and I couldn’t tell you what their drink drive limit is (assume it’s 0 knowing their deterrent system). 

Just now, Theregulars said:

You say that, but he might actually not know the law as someone who is not from here. I’ve no idea if it’s something the club educates the players in but it’s not like it’s plastered across adverts or anything. It’s very feasible that he thought he wasn’t over the limit (he may also have known he wasn’t, but we don’t know). I lived in Singapore for 3 years (approx same time as he’s been in England) and I couldn’t tell you what their drink drive limit is (assume it’s 0 knowing their deterrent system). 

:clap: 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

With a decent head on his shoulders.If he doesn’t know then he must assume it is ZERO.

I would Google it before opening my car door

Just now, Theregulars said:

Think your grasping her mate - he got stopped at 1.20am driving home and over the limit so the argument he might not have known is very weak.

If he knew he was going where there’s alcohol and there’sa change you’ll drink then leave the car at home - I’ve done it since passing my test 31 years ago and have never ever got behind the wheel with any in my system.

3 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Not knowing the law is not an accepted excuse for breaking it. In the legal sense, I mean.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid footballers can sometimes be.

Just now, Infatuation Junkie said:

With a decent head on his shoulders.If he doesn’t know then he must assume it is ZERO.

I would Google it before opening my car door

exactly - “i don’t know what the laws are - I’ll take my chances anyway” would be a stupid train of thought.

7 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Same with alcohol, with various other legal products containing alcohol that could provide a trace result, like mouthwash. Hence you couldn’t have a zero policy. 

Very fair point. 

16 minutes ago, brummie said:

Not knowing the law is not an accepted excuse for breaking it. In the legal sense, I mean.

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid footballers can sometimes be.

For sure, and he’ll be punished. But my point is before everyone starts saying what a terrible human being he is and how he should be put in a kennel wearing nothing but a torn kilt while everyone throws rocks at him, sometimes it’s useful to provide some context (or, in this case, hypothetical context). 

He has made a mistake. It may be a slight mistake or a big mistake depending on circumstances that we don’t know. It’s just tiresome that we always have to have the conclusion and judgment like a downloadable iTunes song in 30 seconds. 

I’ll support him because I don’t think he’s a bad person. Im biased because he’s a Newcastle player.

The one thing that annoys me about this is where we are as a club right now, how good things are, and what a brilliant performer Joelinton has been on the pitch, Eddie stated himself, 

‘I am very aware that I am going to be looked at by millions of people, especially children, and I think you have an expectation to make sure the game is upheld in the right way and with the right spirit,’ he said.

‘I am certainly aware of my demeanour and behaviour on the touchline. That’s not to say I don’t want to win with every fibre of my being, because I do, but I’ve always just had that inside me not to lose my discipline.’

At the time referring to Klopps behaviour, but he sets a good example for all, Joelinton needs to remember he represents the club at all times.  It's just a bit of a shame.

It’s disappointing.. it’s not like we have a dressing room full of twats.. there’s good influences wherever you turn.

Not sure how over the limit he was, did he have 2 drinks? I totally agree 1 drink is too many but what I mean is will he be treated fairly by a judge or made an example of?

Youd really think that the club would have some sort of Michael Clayton/Ray Donovan type behind the scenes to sweep up these messes.

It's going to be a touchy subject when so many people have had to deal with deaths directly related to drink driving. So seeing people trying to justify or downplay it because they like him as a player is going to rub some people up the wrong way. 

He doesn't need crucified but he also doesn't need people trying to make excuses for him either. He's got behind the wheel after drinking, he's been a dickhead. Got confidence Eddie will handle it the best way he sees fit. 

Stupid thing to do, and absolutely not what we needed - and the ‘cultural misunderstanding’ thing is a non-starter; he’s been in the UK for coming up to four years.  Disappointing as he seems like a good bloke generally. 

Obviously, there is a difference between being just over the limit and staggering out the car, swinging at the coppers and shouting ‘ah’ll tek yez aaaaal, yer bastadz’.  Let the law deal with it, then the club, and it’s not an unreasonable expectation for him to learn, not do it again and move on. 

Just when things were going so well.

It's a tricky one for Eddie to manage. He wouldn't want to pre-judge the trial, but at the same time he doesn't want this hanging over the team. I wouldn't play him over the weekend - time for young Elliot to step up, maybe. Then review the situation in the cold light of day, so to speak.

12 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Just when things were going so well.

It's a tricky one for Eddie to manage. He wouldn't want to pre-judge the trial, but at the same time he doesn't want this hanging over the team. I wouldn't play him over the weekend - time for young Elliot to step up, maybe. Then review the situation in the cold light of day, so to speak.

Let's not overplay this situation without facts. Also Anderson is promising but looked poorer against sheff we'd and one backpass nearly led to a goal for them. 

Seems like for now everything that can be said on this has been said.

are there not admins who lock this sort of thing until there is an update from the club or the magistrate. 

seems like it’s just likely to cause arguments that are not needed. 

Just fucking fine him, let the law do it’s job, and move on.

I genuinely don’t think the public as a whole will care that much one way or another… certainly no one will boo him. He’s a human being. He’s made a mistake. If he’s guilty he’ll get a driving ban.

You don’t drop a player because of something like this. Give your head a shake.