Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

2 minutes ago, STM said:

It's becoming more and more apparent that ASM is unlikely to have a long term future at NUFC or indeed the career he wants if he can't play for the team. That means working for the team, playing passes at the right time and not sulking when things don't go his way.

We aren't good enough to lose him yet but the situation will be different in 12 months time.

That spell with him out of the team and the run we went on was very telling to a lot of people who were convinced he was our only chance at getting results.

There was much more of a balance to our play going forward, even though it wasn't always perfect, and it made us a lot more organised defensively too.

If we stay up we'll have so many options to improve this team and I just don't see why we'd persist with him really.

He's just incredibly one note. When he's on song that note will shatter the Louvre but, otherwise, he's just running into brick walls. He doesn't have any serious passing or crossing skills, he doesn't really find spaces in the box to get on the end of chances and obviously he doesn't really do the defensive work. It's just dribbling and early shots. 

I like him, but there's not a top team in the world with front players that don't graft their tits off.

Whether he becomes that player, he comes along for the ride for a bit, or Howe brings in someone else straight away, who knows, but hopefully we get to the point where we're not saying 'if he didn't have flaws he wouldn't be at Newcastle in the first place' because that would mean we've not progressed.

Little over month ago he had the best game of his NUFC career against Everton, under Eddie Howe. One of the best performances I can remember from a NUFC player. Now people want to get rid of him in the summer because he's lazy, useless, ineffective and can't play under Howe.

Fucking ridiculous, no wonder there are people calling us fickle and deluded.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Little over month ago he had the best game of his NUFC career against Everton, under Eddie Howe. One of the best performances I can remember from a NUFC player. Now people want to get rid of him in the summer because he's lazy, useless, ineffective and can't play under Howe.

But that’s the issue it’s one game in his many ?

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

Is that the one good game he's had this year?  That's kind of the point.

Leon Best scored 4 against West Ham in one game didn't he?

Exceptions and rules.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, Pata said:

A club looking at winning the Premier League in 5-10 years can't have any players playing well once a month. This is now and that's then, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying he needs to adapt and progress as a player IF that's our aim and he wants to be part of that.

Ineffective but thought he just wasn't at 100% fitness, similar against Chelsea. Whether he should get on the pitch at all in those circumstances is questionable but we don't exactly have a bench full of match winners.

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

People are watching his performances and giving reasonable break downs on what the issues of his style of play are, and why more often than not it hurts the team. One amazing performance does not make all his other issues acceptable.

Edited by KaKa

He's played 66 minutes in our last six games, not a single start. I honestly don't know how anyone can write him off based on that. One single start after that Everton game.

asm.thumb.PNG.85f8e34256c3f9dd85d9c35670f1e15c.PNG

Edited by Pata

1 minute ago, Dandy Man said:

Ineffective but thought he just wasn't at 100% fitness

That's the other thing, obviously. I don't think '100% fitness' exists for him. The brightest light burns twice as bright but half as long and he has burned very very brightly, Roy.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I like him, but there's not a top team in the world with front players that don't graft their tits off.

Whether he becomes that player, he comes along for the ride for a bit, or Howe brings in someone else straight away, who knows, but hopefully we get to the point where we're not saying 'if he didn't have flaws he wouldn't be at Newcastle in the first place' because that would mean we've not progressed.

Aye. He's got a decision to make imo. If he wants to win the ballon d'or he needs to realise he needs an attitude to match. For me he still should start every game for us where possible until the end of the season. But if he wants to be a player for a team looking to really compete and get in to the national team etc he has to offer so much more to the team. Ive said it a million times but a few small changes would see him be a much more successful player which is the annoying thing because he's denying himself of what he's after currently. 

He cant be our star attacking player at the beginning of next season. Not as is anyway.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

He's played 66 minutes in our last six games, not a single start. I honestly don't know how anyone can write him off based on that. One single start after that Everton game.

asm.thumb.PNG.85f8e34256c3f9dd85d9c35670f1e15c.PNG

We didn't lose a game after that Everton game without him mind and never looked like losing one either. Again that's the point people are making.

Edited by Wolfcastle

And I'm not saying he's perfect but we are nowhere near the position where we can just get rid of our best players at the first sight of trouble (if there's some trouble). 

Edited by Pata

He loses it on the halfway line (trying to latch onto a poor pass) against 10 men, with 7 of his teammates between him and his own goal. The fault is not his.

The red card nullified him because instead of Everton desperate to win and getting caught on the break, like they did for the red, suddenly they're all behind the ball in their own box. I thought the game looked perfect for him before that.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

And I'm not saying he's perfect but we are nowhere near the position where can just get rid of our best players at the first sight of trouble (if there's some trouble). 

We may well be in a position to strengthen the squad to the point we don’t rely on him at all though.

The idea that he's being written off is over the top I think. It's a general point anyway and not based on just after Everton.

The top teams have front players who press and support each other, he doesn't. It's not necessarily a criticism for a player in the team we've been, but for a team competing for titles it's more or less unviable, so he needs to make that part of his game at some point if he's going to be part of that journey.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

And I'm not saying he's perfect but we are nowhere near the position where can just get rid of our best players at the first sight of trouble (if there's some trouble). 

There again people can argue that given how limited the team is can we afford to risk indiscipline that ASM brings as opposed to the less individually gifted Murphy/Fraser. Ie can we carry a flair player who is as likely to play badly as well but disrupt the team set up either way. I'd be happier to find out if we weren't still in a relegation battle.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

We may well be in a position to strengthen the squad to the point we don’t rely on him at all though.

There are like 20 players in the squad we should get rid before him tbh. 

Just now, Pata said:

Perhaps but I'd argue that Fraser has taken his place on the left.

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

Who’s saying get rid ? I’m saying we hopefully will be able to strengthen to a point where he either shapes up and becomes the player we know he can be, or he doesn’t and he eventually leaves.