Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

This whole case appears grim from the outside. I’m not going to comment much as I haven’t followed all the proceedings etc but there’s a known extremely high bar for rape / sexual assault convictions. It’s hard not speculate but you can imagine that there was a willingness and consent to some degree and then things got a lot more messy once they were inside his house. Whole thing is unsettling

They're all at it

Trippier; Grealish the lot

Sometimes I don't know why the fuck I'm so obsessed with a bunch of highly paid fuckers who are detached from anything in the real world

I don’t really see the problem like. I’m all for penalising rape hard, but Mendy has been tried twice now and cleared both times. Top level football being a small community, why can’t fellow pros, friends in some cases, be supportive of each other when some very serious allegations that ruined the career of one of their own have been judged to be tenuous at best? Juries don’t clear rape suspects lightly, so with that in mind why is everybody going on like fellow players are supporting a convicted rapist?

Edited by Unbelievable

7 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

He's entitled to be treated as innocent, so fair enough but juries clear rape suspects lightly all the time

Any evidence for that? I’d imagine rape being quite a heinous crime the bar for conviction must be quite small if jury members have severe doubts. It also often leaves strong physical evidence I suspect. Stand to be corrected though.

Edit: I was intrigued so decided to google it. Looks like the conviction rate is actually very high comparatively speaking, much as I suspected. Source for those interested: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2023/feb/juries-convict-defendants-rape-more-often-acquit

Edited by Unbelievable

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Any evidence for that? I’d imagine rape being quite a heinous crime the bar for conviction must be quite small if jury members have severe doubts. It also often leaves strong physical evidence I suspect. Stand to be corrected though.

Having a quick google for evidence you may have a point, jury convictions for rape have gone up from what i thought, it's getting to trial is the (severe) problem, so I have to acknowlege i was basing on haunting anecdotal testomony of court reporter talking about rape trials. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

F1AdCz3WIAMHe03.jpeg

What data is that based on, i.e. who decided how many of the non-reported cases were false. I mean, how could one even know if they were unreported? It’s easy to create a graph that looks scientific, but that looks like pure guesswork.

The fuck are people angry about :lol:

Jurors in the rape trial of Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy have been told to question the credibility of their accusers.
Lisa Wilding KC, in her closing defence speech on behalf of Mendy’s friend and co-accused, Louis Saha Matturie, highlighted the evidence of one complainant, a 19-year-old woman, who told jurors from the witness box that both men had raped her.
But during the 16-week trial, mobile phone video emerged of her having “enthusiastic” sex with Matturie on an occasion she claimed she was being raped.
Jurors at Chester crown court were directed to find both men not guilty of those charges against her.
Wilding said: “She sat in this courtroom and looked you in the eye and gave what would have, perhaps, been a compelling and convincing account of being raped multiple times by these two men. Like so many of the witnesses in this case, she is caught up in a tangled web of connections and contacts and knowledge.
“Why is that important? Because of collusion. You have to consider in respect of each of the women who came to this courtroom to give evidence, is their evidence reliable? Is their evidence solid?
“This case rests on the credibility of witnesses. People lie.”
Two other complainants, who also knew each other, then made “remarkably similar” allegations that Matturie had raped them both while sleeping, Wilding said.
Wilding cited the account of another woman, aged 23, who claimed Matturie raped her at 5.30am in Mendy’s Mercedes car while on a trip to a local garage to buy more alcohol for a party at the footballer’s house.
She stayed at Mendy’s house afterwards and had sex with three other men, and as she stepped out of the gates at Mendy’s mansion at 10.03am, sent a text to a friend saying “Hahaha I have slept with Jack Grealish,” the jury heard.
Such behaviour was “inconsistent” with an allegation of rape, Wilding said.
Her case was “inextricably linked” to that of a 17-year-old who alleges she was raped twice by both Mendy and Matturie the same night, it is alleged.
Wilding said the allegation against Matturie, that he raped her in a cinema room at Mendy’s house while others were present, then went to his flat in Manchester where he raped her a second time, made “absolutely no sense”.
Voice messages sent to her friends later that same day, where she called the party, the “best night of my life” were, “not a reflection of someone who has been raped,” Wilding added.

From a Guardian article.

My point is rape, due to our burden of proof, is an incredibly difficult crime to charge and prosecute in the UK.

In the eyes of the law, Mendy has presumption of innocence, but that simply means there wasn't enough evidence to convict him.

He could be one of the very few who are falsely accused, it does happen, but the numbers suggest it's improbable.

So while I'm sure he's a massively relieved man, keep your head down and for fucks sake don't celebrate on social media. Use your brain man.