Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

he is 21 and has only played 19 league games.   He needs game time and I suspect his confidence built back up.   Dropping down to league 2, may be a good move for him.   Hope he shines.   Good luck Matty!

14 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

No idea where some of the apparent hatred of him on here stems from. He's been ok whenever he's played for our first team, not that playing poorly would be reason for it anyway. 

I don’t see much hate, just an acceptance that, well, he’s shite!

Shame you can't really watch Mansfield games easily. 

I'm still fascinated by what kind of midfielder he is. He looked like someone that dictated tempo for a while, then a bit box to box, so I'd be hopeful he'll look a cut above in a good League 2 team. 

Just now, Thiago said:

Shame you can't really watch Mansfield games easily. 

I'm still fascinated by what kind of midfielder he is. He looked like someone that dictated tempo for a while, then a bit box to box, so I'd be hopeful he'll look a cut above in a good League 2 team. 

Don’t. He’s a League 2 player at best. There is nothing fascinating about his game or what kind of footballer he is, can be or could become. 

I actually think he’s half decent technically. Can hit a pass, shooting seems canny enough. But he seems very slow. We have conceded goals in the past because of his lack of pace.

Edited by Rafalove

I don’t think you score a couple of goals against Man U if you are completely shite mind. 

I like him. 

He’s not for us going forward but he’s certainly not shite. 

His complete lack of any athleticism will stop him playing in the top league. It’s like he’s running through treacle, I can’t think of any midfield player I’ve seen have slower top speed or tbf a slower first 10 yards. 

20 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He won’t that’s for sure…

He been hoying eggs at your windows mate? :lol:

As Tsunmai says, a lack of physicality is a problem, but his ability on the ball is solid and enough to have a Grant Leadbitter esque career.

5 minutes ago, Thiago said:

He been hoying eggs at your windows mate? :lol:

As Tsunmai says, a lack of physicality is a problem, but his ability on the ball is solid and enough to have a Grant Leadbitter esque career.

Nah, I just recognise a nothing footballer when I see one, we will see, I guarantee he will be playing league 2 football at best for the next decade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2022 at 08:18, Tsunami said:

His complete lack of any athleticism will stop him playing in the top league. It’s like he’s running through treacle, I can’t think of any midfield player I’ve seen have slower top speed or tbf a slower first 10 yards. 

Totally agree, terribly slow. I remember watching replays of him running back towards the box as the opposition attacked and half the players on the pitch overran him despite a head start. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2022 at 06:23, Dokko said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60367198

Glass Sacked. Maybe it wasn't all down to Matty them being shite.

It wasn't all down to him. In fact, it was a tale as old as time. 

Manager comes in, makes sweeping changes, it doesn't work, the loan players are the first to suffer as you don't owe them anything. Matty could and should have played better but he was sent up the creek by whoever organised the deal (I also heard he was forced to sign a new deal on less money before he was allowed to leave). 

I don't know how he's doing at Mansfield outside of scoring a few goals. 

29 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Found his level!

Harsh to write him off just yet. Toney and Armstrong are 2 obvious examples that players can come good after actually getting some game time.

Not saying he will ever be good enough for the Prem but he's better than L2 for sure.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Harsh to write him off just yet. Toney and Armstrong are 2 obvious examples that players can come good after actually getting some game time.

Not saying he will ever be good enough for the Prem but he's better than L2 for sure.

They had actual real talent though and even then, they haven’t exactly set the PL alight. For his age now, to find himself on loan there should tell you everything. That’s his level!