Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

46 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Said it before, but sending him to be knocked about in one of the most bleak cities in the UK was an absolutely crazy idea.

He’s a ball player, get him a loan to Spain or something. 

should have gone to Spain or Italy, brilliant suggestion tbh. 

• 1 month later...

Probably his level, hopefully he will kick on and have a good second half season there and hopefully we won’t be seeing him back at SJP again as he’s just simply not good enough!

5 hours ago, HTT II said:

Probably his level, hopefully he will kick on and have a good second half season there and hopefully we won’t be seeing him back at SJP again as he’s just simply not good enough!

That's harsh.  If he can get a ticket he's welcome to cheer us on to domination from the back of the Gallowgate.

In fairness to Shola he managed to get shortstaff  a good loan too Aberdeen originally where he failed miserably.

I agree though it doesn’t quite Make sense for Young to be getting a loan at a higher level than some of those such as Anderson who was wanted in the championship last January I think.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

In fairness to Shola he managed to get shortstaff  a good loan too Aberdeen originally where he failed miserably.

I agree though it doesn’t quite Make sense for Young to be getting a loan at a higher level than some of those such as Anderson who was wanted in the championship last January I think.

Not convinced it was a good loan at all.

He was sent to a club with a manager still early into his tenure that made a lot of changes and it's no surprise he was the first victim when the wins didn't come. Shola likely sent him because they're mates. I have similar concerns about Anderson going to Bristol Rovers. 

Aberdeen was a terrible idea, I've said before he should have been sent to Spain or somewhere to learn how to tiki-taka.

Suspect Shola just doesn't have the phone numbers or the nouse to call anyone except his mates. Must be moved on for a properly profession setup ASAP.

I think Shola has a role with the Foundation, if he wants it, but there's nothing in his time as loan manager/coordinator to suggest he should be influencing our player's development and the same is true of Steve Harper. 

I give them credit they've been a lot more proactive in setting up loans but the majority of those deals have done little to get the players competitive experience. Some of the responsibility for that falls on the player, but Longstaff is a good example of them leaning on a thin contacts book without consideration for what was needed.

Scottish football is pure blood and thunder and Matty's barely played football. He was always going to need time to settle and build momentum. I'd have much preferred a spell in League One with a team that likes to get the ball down and play. Let him learn to control games at a lower level and then we can hopefully reintroduce him or move him up level. 

The summer will dictate his future for now. Stay up and he's as good as gone. Go down and he may be part of the fringes. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Remember when we were worried he was about to be poached by Watfordinese? :lol:

I still maintain he should have jumped at that deal. Italy would have been wonderful for him, and if Udinese didn't work they'd have sent him somewhere well suited.

Edited by Thiago