Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

4 hours ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Steve Bruce failed him most. Hope he at least sticks around the lower leagues.

Bruce left him out for not signing a new deal. Then still didn’t play him after he signed. Scum.

Good to see they're helping him through his rehab.

Wishing thinking maybe, but if he shows the right attitude while rehabbing well, he might get in on some kick abouts down the line and get his foot back in the door if he's looking alright. I'd guess the opportunity will have passed by the time we've reinforced with further transfers, though. 

Right decision by the club, but you got to feel sorry for the way his career has panned out. 23 now, so still young enough, but not crazy young and he wasn't a guaranteed starter when on loan at Mansfield, and was sent on loan again to League 2 last year for a club not necessarily expecting a promotion push, so you'd probably think that would be the sort of level he'd end up at to restart his career.

I wish Matty all the best and hope he can resurrect his career when his injury and fitness are back to top notch.

I'd love to know what really happened with him and Sean over their contracts when other clubs were looking.

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

in Sean's interview he seems to be taking some of the blame. the red card at west ham?

"This one makes me sad. It's not a regret, because you can't regret doing a tackle, but it's the moment in my career I beat myself up about the most. Me and my brother had played the two games before it, and he got taken out of the team after that. There's a million reasons as to why that could happen but I beat myself up about that because I feel as though if I didn't get sent off, we would have kept playing together - he would have stayed in the team for longer, and would have been able to establish himself more.

It's a weird picture. I'm getting punished there, but I don't think I got the most punishment in that moment. I feel like Matty got more than me."

Can someone explain this? Why would Sean getting sent off harm Matty?

A sorry indictment of the previous regime. At the end of the day he mightn't have been good enough, but under that shitshow, he was never given a chance.

Had some dreadful loans that wouldn't have seem him progress either 

• 8 months later...
Just now, Shearergol said:

Who won that btw?

Well er, you know. A win definitely happened. We'll have to roll our sleeves up and have a proper good look at worselves