Best Opposing Player You've seen @ St James' Park

Minhosa

Guest 3-1 NYD

Kenny Dalglish for the Dippers in the 77/78 relegation season. The game was played on boxing day I think & Dalglish gave a masterclass as they made us look decidedly 3rd rate. Also in the same season Johnny Rep for Bastia-top drawer!Since we  returned to the top division the performance of Teddy Sheringham for the yids on the first day of the season sticks out.

In terms of the ability and reputation of the player - I've seen Ronaldinho play at City, although he didn't do much on the day. Kluivert was playing for Barca too, he didn't play well either - Their best player was Saviola who's movement was a different class (Scored too).

In terms of performance on the day, probably Michael Owen. 3 chances, 3 goals, 3-0. Classic Houllier counter attacking tactics but he made it count - Schmeichel didn't get near any of them, absolutely Lethal. We've had our fair share of beatings down the years, some down to us being a bit shite, some down to the other team just being better than us from 1 to 11, but thats the one that springs to mind as to a 1 man beating.

Del Piero in the Juventus friendly, Kluivert when he went off to a standing ovation, and this is the one where I'll don my tin hat, Pires for Villareal in the summer, always thought he was a cheating scum bucket but when I actually watched him in the flesh, his first touch was amazing, his movement was exceptional, he never wasted a pass, was always available to receive the ball. I think Henry & Arsenal miss what he used to bring to the team. I now understand why he's so highly rated. Shame he got a serious injury at the beginning of the season.

Guest king harry

at anfield 2 stand out, le tessier (spelling) when we beat them 3-2, he scored 2 great goals and was outstanding. The other was klinsman when spurs beat us 2-1, he scored twice and was brilliant.

Another one that stands out is Dwight Yorke for Villa (when we beat them 4-3 with Mark Draper being sent off just before half-time with us 3-1 up). Bizarrely, for a home win, it almost felt like a defeat (or at least a draw). He was awesome that night.

Schmeichel in the 0-1 was outstanding.....cunt.

But I thought Sir Les (when QPR beat us 2-1) was an absolute monster and ran us ragged, probably the best forward display I've seen from an opposition player.

Ray Houghton was fantastic when Fulham won 4-1 and I can remember a young Lineker notching for Leicester and looking the part. Also, a young Kevin Campbell in the Leicester 5-4 looked very good.

I also remember a lad playing for Swansea at the back end of the 70's called David Giles (looked a bit like Keegan). They won 3-1 and he notched 2 and was superb.....am amazed he never went onto bigger things.

Most of Manchester United's players play their best whenever coming to SJP

also Kluivert,Nedved,Henry,...tbh,most big players play their best when facing the likes of bramble and babayro..

I disagree about Henry, he never seems to do well against us, which as all basically down to Shay.

Of the games I have actually been too, I'd say Keane and Scholes in the middle of the park in the 6-2, complimented eachother so well.

Most of Manchester United's players play their best whenever coming to SJP

also  Kluivert,Nedved,Henry,...tbh,most big players play their best when facing the likes of bramble and babayro..

never seen him do particularly wll up here.

kluivert for me

Would be wrong not to mention Drogba here too. Even though the score was 0-0 over here in that UEFA Cup match, he was still f*cking awesome.

Away aye, I thought Woodgate played well against him here (and was the reason for the 0-0).

So, thus far, a squad of the best players we reckon we've seen at St. James' would look something like this;-

Keepers:

Schmeichal

Flowers

Defenders:

Adams

Midfielders:

Vieira

Nedved

Scholes

Gravesen

Keane

Dalglish

Forwards:

Del Piero

Mulder

Owen

Le-Tiss

Drogba

Yorke

Kluivert

Some talent there. We might concede a few mind.

I can't remember exactly how each player played against us from Juve even though i was at the match. Nedved has always been a remarkable player and i have a lot of respect for him so i trust that he had a good game against us. However my vote goes to Kluivert because i can remember giving him a standing ovation vividly.

Opponents I've had to admire-

Shilton ~1988 played us on his own

Buffon for Juve

Viv Anderson in Forest's 78 side

Dave Clement for Everton against us in mid 70s

Wayne Bridge was the first player to cope with Bellamy in his first season with us

Steve McMahon had a great game against us in the 80s

The West Brom midfield of 1978/9 with Bryan Robson, Remi Moses and Laurie Cunningham were fantastic

Kanu in ~1999 had a wonderful game against us.

Paul Mariner (worryingly) played great against us ~1984. Him doing so well made me realise that just cos you aren't world class as an interntaional doesn't mean you can't be a fantastic club player.

Dalglish, as mentioned earlier.

Rep was shockingly good.

The single best performance though was probably Shilton, the saves just went on and on, it was a "how the fuc* did he do that" experience