Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Everyone to their own opinion...I’ll stick to my guns for all the reasons explained. And will you all be of the same opinion when Pork Pie Chops f**** up the remainder of the season behind closed doors and we sneak into the relegation places.Teams don’t deserve to be relegated purely to just finish off the season at all costs.

That's really dumb sorry.

So you want to finish the season so your own club won't get relegated?

I'm not totally convinced it's a basis on which the footballing authorities should be making final decisions.

Just using that as an example.i’m sure villa,Bournemouth etc wouldn’t like to be relegated because the season was rushed through just to placate the media.

Placate the media? Eh? What's the media got to do with it?

Why is next season, which doesn't exist, more important than finishing this season, which does?

Sky Sports/BBC/Prime tv etc who pay for tv rights and are part of the £1 billion tv package

Guest neesy111

People are obviously forgetting they need to finish the season to also get the money from sponsors and TV.  If that doesn't happen then 10's of clubs across the PL and EFL will go bust.

Then they go bust, hopefully taken over by their communities or maybe, just maybe it’s time club owners put their money into their businesses as that’s what they are, in order to keep them going.

Many owners already do this though in the EFL to chase success.  The conception of owners buying clubs to make money only comes from NUFC fans amazingly enough. 

I'm not totally convinced it's a basis on which the footballing authorities should be making final decisions.

Just using that as an example.i’m sure villa,Bournemouth etc wouldn’t like to be relegated because the season was rushed through just to placate the media.

Why is next season, which doesn't exist, more important than finishing this season, which does?

Flip this the other way...why are you so adamant that this season should finish with all the problems the country is facing.

Someone like Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough doesn't have the money to pay Championship salaries for months on end without any TV or gate money, the notion is ridiculous. Just because someone owns a club doesn't mean they have a bottomless pit of money.

Everyone to their own opinion...I’ll stick to my guns for all the reasons explained. And will you all be of the same opinion when Pork Pie Chops f**** up the remainder of the season behind closed doors and we sneak into the relegation places.Teams don’t deserve to be relegated purely to just finish off the season at all costs.

That's really dumb sorry.

OK accept that

Flip this the other way...why are you so adamant that this season should finish with all the problems the country is facing.

Why are you so adamant that next season should start with all the problems the country is facing?

If we accept the notion that at some point football will resume, whether that be in a week, a month or a year, it should be the current season that we go back into. I'm not advocating they all kick off at 3 o'clock tomorrow.

Guest Howaythetoon

People are obviously forgetting they need to finish the season to also get the money from sponsors and TV.  If that doesn't happen then 10's of clubs across the PL and EFL will go bust.

Then they go bust, hopefully taken over by their communities or maybe, just maybe it’s time club owners put their money into their businesses as that’s what they are, in order to keep them going.

Many owners already do this though in the EFL.  The conception of owners buying clubs to make money only comes from NUFC fans amazingly enough. 

I’m not sure of your point Neesy?

For me, maybe the game crashing and going bust and restarting is the best outcome of all. I’d love to see a live game on the telly, but right now, even games behind closed doors just to finish a season so LFC can lift their trophy in front of a social media audience or so clubs can get some TV money for example, would, in the grand scheme of things, be selfish and irresponsible. Not when they can just void the season, which is fair to all and means all clubs will share the same situation. Now if they played games behind closed doors for TV money to pay staff...

Guest Howaythetoon

Someone like Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough doesn't have the money to pay Championship salaries for months on end without any TV or gate money, the notion is ridiculous. Just because someone owns a club doesn't mean they have a bottomless pit of money.

The is no no easy solutions far as I can see it other than to just suspend football full stop and if that means clubs cease trading and players no longer have the job of playing football then so be it. Exceptions shouldn’t just be made because it’s football. Playing games behind closed doors would be irresponsible of the sport and pointless when they can just void the season and put their collective efforts into ways in which they can begin to recover.

Many owners already do this though in the EFL.  The conception of owners buying clubs to make money only comes from NUFC fans amazingly enough. 

For me, maybe the game crashing and going bust and restarting is the best outcome of all. I’d love to see a live game on the telly, but right now, even games behind closed doors just to finish a season so LFC can lift their trophy in front of a social media audience or so clubs can get some TV money for example, would, in the grand scheme of things, be selfish and irresponsible. Not when they can just void the season, which is fair to all and means all clubs will share the same situation. Now if they played games behind closed doors for TV money to pay staff...

Voiding the season is by far the least fair outcome.

Why are you so adamant that next season should start with all the problems the country is facing?

If we accept the notion that at some point football will resume, whether that be in a week, a month or a year, it should be the current season that we go back into. I'm not advocating they all kick off at 3 o'clock tomorrow.

I’m not.....next season will start when the government deems it appropriate for sport to restart.Until then cancel the present season, as i don’t think IMHO that this season should be left in mothballs for months and months

Guest neesy111

For me, maybe the game crashing and going bust and restarting is the best outcome of all. I’d love to see a live game on the telly, but right now, even games behind closed doors just to finish a season so LFC can lift their trophy in front of a social media audience or so clubs can get some TV money for example, would, in the grand scheme of things, be selfish and irresponsible. when they can just void the season, which is fair to all and means all clubs are in the same situation. Now if they played games behind closed doors for TV money to pay staff...

Some owners have put most their cash into clubs, some of them will not have cash to put into clubs to keep them running....

Also, what about all the suppliers etc that clubs use as well that will be owed money etc.  This isn't just about playing matches, it's about keeping clubs and livelihoods alive.  Obviously it should only continue once it's safe to do so.

Well the bubble was going to burst at some point, this is probably it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Voiding the season is by far the least fair outcome.

Not as far as I can see. Ending it now as things stand would be unfair, restarting again behind closed doors would be irresponsible and not even practical. Maybe they just need to suspend it and restart again when it’s really all over or until it is... next year perhaps? 2 years perhaps? Maybe a decade?

Void it man!

Guest Howaythetoon

For me, maybe the game crashing and going bust and restarting is the best outcome of all. I’d love to see a live game on the telly, but right now, even games behind closed doors just to finish a season so LFC can lift their trophy in front of a social media audience or so clubs can get some TV money for example, would, in the grand scheme of things, be selfish and irresponsible. when they can just void the season, which is fair to all and means all clubs are in the same situation. Now if they played games behind closed doors for TV money to pay staff...

Some owners have put most their cash into clubs, some of them will not have cash to put into clubs to keep them running....

Also, what about all the suppliers etc that clubs use as well that will be owed money etc.  This isn't just about playing matches, it's about keeping clubs and livelihoods alive.  Obviously it should only continue once it's safe to do so.

Well the bubble was going to burst at some point, this is probably it.

I know all that, they are businesses too. Bit as a business they are no different than day a chain of hotels or pubs. Football right now cannot be played because it involves people being in close contact with so many people. It’s madness to think it can restart and be played behind closed doors and just as mad to even think it can go back to normal in a few months even.

Void the fucker so everyone knows where they stand and all efforts can go towards recovering the sport and if that means some will be victims of this and cease to exist or survive, that’s business and the real world. Maybe they should ave all thought about what happens before they turned it into a business...

It survived two world wars...

But then it was a sport back then...

Guest Howaythetoon

Clubs everywhere will be mounting legal challenges if this season is cancelled.

Then let them, who are they gonna take to court? The FA?

They will lose all support, sympathy and whatever else if they oppose the governing body of the sport who are basically like the government who enforce our lockdown, should they enforce a void of the season which they should IMO.

Guest neesy111

They will lose all support, sympathy and whatever else if they oppose the governing body of the sport who are basically like the government who enforce our lockdown, should they enforce a void of the season which they should IMO.

UEFA are threatening legal action and removal from european competitions against any leagues that void the seasons.  [emoji38]

Cancelling Leagues and having current league position as final, then if we promote top 2 teams i suspect those teams fighting for play off positions may feel aggrieved.....Basically it’s “Dammed if you do Dammed if you don’t” situation. Whatever answer the Premier/EFL come up with, will not be a unanimous decision, but hey ho, there are more important issues around the world.Just thought I’d put in my twopenneth.

Guest neesy111

Imo, if seasons are void then next season will feel cheap because clubs will be in divisions they shouldn't be.

Guest Howaythetoon

UEFA are threatening legal action and removal from european competitions against any leagues that void the seasons.  [emoji38]

They’d go bust if all clubs just decided to withdraw from them. They have no real power in the same way the FA don’t over the Premier League. Right now it’s all about keeping the money coming in and for that reason, I’m out. That should be the response. Hopefully the government will not allow the game to just restart, behind closed doors or not. What happens if they restart behind closed doors and a few players get the virus and people die? It’s fucking crazy. Just void it. Go again when they can go again, either restarting from where it all ended or fresh from scratch.

Guest neesy111

They’d go bust if all clubs just decided to withdraw from them. They have no real power in the same way the FA don’t over the Premier League. Right now it’s all about keeping the money coming in and for that reason, I’m out. That should be the response. Hopefully the government will not allow the game to just restart, behind closed doors or not. What happens if they restart behind closed doors and a few players get the virus and people die? It’s fucking crazy. Just void it. Go again when they can go again, either restarting from where it all ended or fresh from scratch.

I'm out, you've just contradicted your point in the last season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Imo, if seasons are void then next season will feel cheap because clubs will be in divisions they shouldn't be.

Howay man Neesy, shouldn’t be doesn’t even come into the equation when we ARE ALL in this situation effected by a global pandemic. We are in a situation we all shouldn’t be in, but we are, no-one deserves to be relegated or promoted or winners or runners up without passing the finish line so to speak. They do deserve another go though. There are no winners or losers here, we can’t look at this based on self interest or self preservation.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm out, you've just contradicted your point in the last season.

Where have I contradicted myself?

The cancellation of step 3-7 is done and dusted as it's been ratified by the FA. There is no appeal and legal action won't change the outcomes. I guess clubs could seek damages but not sure on what grounds. The FA are effectively the supreme power in these situations.

Step 1 & 2 (National & North/ South) are now voting on ending the season. Then there will be a vote on how the season is to be concluded- either null and void, or decided on PPG. Even on PPG I can't imagine the National Leagues Cttee deciding to relegate clubs from Step 2 when there are no clubs coming up from Step 3.