Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

The cancellation of step 3-7 is done and dusted as it's been ratified by the FA. There is no appeal and legal action won't change the outcomes. I guess clubs could seek damages but not sure on what grounds. The FA are effectively the supreme power in these situations.

Step 1 & 2 (National & North/ South) are now voting on ending the season. Then there will be a vote on how the season is to be concluded- either null and void, or decided on PPG. Even on PPG I can't imagine the National Leagues Cttee deciding to relegate clubs from Step 2 when there are no clubs coming up from Step 3.

The FA should void fines, travel costs, etc since the FA have voided the season. Could cripple South Shields.

Guest Howaythetoon

The cancellation of step 3-7 is done and dusted as it's been ratified by the FA. There is no appeal and legal action won't change the outcomes. I guess clubs could seek damages but not sure on what grounds. The FA are effectively the supreme power in these situations.

Step 1 & 2 (National & North/ South) are now voting on ending the season. Then there will be a vote on how the season is to be concluded- either null and void, or decided on PPG. Even on PPG I can't imagine the National Leagues Cttee deciding to relegate clubs from Step 2 when there are no clubs coming up from Step 3.

The FA should void fines, travel costs, etc since the FA have voided the season. Could cripple South Shields.

Void fines owed not already paid. Void debts owed not already paid.

The game needs to be responsible, sensible and selfless here like everyone else.

How do you void travel costs exactly, and where does this money come from?

Also this decision has been taken by the leagues and ratified by the FA. It's not been imposed unilaterally.

The lack of revenue is crippling everyone. The 'advance' from the PL (not a donation, an advance on next seasons' money) came to £13k for each club in Step 2. It's far more damaging than the difference between being in Step 2 and Step 3.

Tbh I'm not too fussed what happens. I'm not really missing it much, probably because of our situation but it's been a welcome break from it all. However I do think bottom and top behind closed door playoffs for promotion and relegation would be a decent way of settling it all. Viewing figures would be huge, even starting down in conference working their way up.

Guest Howaythetoon

There's absolutely no way at all that the PL/EFL season should be voided. That should've been laughed out of discussions from day one.

Fortunately, it looks unlikely to happen at this point.

So what happens then? Season played out to conclusion behind closed doors or it just starts back up when this is all over? That could take forever! If it does play out behind closed doors before then, what happens if anyone gets the virus or even end up dead? European fixtures, how will that work. Travel, accommodation etc.?

My take, void the season now to end all uncertainty and confusion and instead of putting efforts into playing games behind closed doors or issues of conflict regarding promotion, relegation, titles etc. work together to counter what is more important than any of that and that’s the survival of the sport and it’s members so 2019-2020 won’t go down as the final season full stop, if not for the sport, then for a number of clubs.

Or, just keep it suspended all the way through this until the time arrives where it’s safe to play, go to matches, drink and eat in pubs and restaurants and not risk getting infected with a virus.

Again, any other option than those two as far as I can see, is or will be driven by nothing more than money over anything else, followed or in line with self interest and self preservation.

Let’s say they play the season out behind closed doors...

Let’s say they end the season now as things stand, titles are given, relegations and promotions are confirmed.

But after all that, no new season can or will follow unless played behind closed doors or more likely, only after this is all over?

Would it matter what division Leeds were in or not, who the Champions were, who were in the CL or the Europa League when there is no football at all anyway.

The powers that be, owners and players need to void the season or be content with starting it all up again from where they left off even if it’s months or a year or two in order to survive. Start up again now under closed doors, one death from the virus and they will have shown money comes before everything and talk of cheapening the game...

Looking at things from a business perspective alone, football can’t survive this because it’s not an essential commodity and it will go bust.

And it needs to.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tbh I'm not too fussed what happens. I'm not really missing it much, probably because of our situation but it's been a welcome break from it all. However I do think bottom and top behind closed door playoffs for promotion and relegation would be a decent way of settling it all. Viewing figures would be huge, even starting down in conference working their way up.

I started missing it after a few weeks when it was suspended, but now I don’t and I’ve accepted it’s totally irrelevant as a business or as a commodity as it’s none essential and today a delivery driver job for example is way more higher up as a profession than a footballer’s. Bring it’s collapse on for me, it’s a sport not a business or was and always should be. I could live without it easily as it’s not a sport. Now grassroots football, being able to play it and watch my boys play for their team... no way.

People are obviously forgetting they need to finish the season to also get the money from sponsors and TV.  If that doesn't happen then 10's of clubs across the PL and EFL will go bust.

Then they go bust, hopefully taken over by their communities or maybe, just maybe it’s time club owners put their money into their businesses as that’s what they are, in order to keep them going.

Many owners already do this though in the EFL.  The conception of owners buying clubs to make money only comes from NUFC fans amazingly enough. 

I’m not sure of your point Neesy?

For me, maybe the game crashing and going bust and restarting is the best outcome of all. I’d love to see a live game on the telly, but right now, even games behind closed doors just to finish a season so LFC can lift their trophy in front of a social media audience or so clubs can get some TV money for example, would, in the grand scheme of things, be selfish and irresponsible. Not when they can just void the season, which is fair to all and means all clubs will share the same situation. Now if they played games behind closed doors for TV money to pay staff...

I agree, but I don't want COVID to last as long as it will take to bust Man City.

Guest Howaythetoon

People are obviously forgetting they need to finish the season to also get the money from sponsors and TV.  If that doesn't happen then 10's of clubs across the PL and EFL will go bust.

Then they go bust, hopefully taken over by their communities or maybe, just maybe it’s time club owners put their money into their businesses as that’s what they are, in order to keep them going.

Many owners already do this though in the EFL.  The conception of owners buying clubs to make money only comes from NUFC fans amazingly enough. 

I’m not sure of your point Neesy?

For me, maybe the game crashing and going bust and restarting is the best outcome of all. I’d love to see a live game on the telly, but right now, even games behind closed doors just to finish a season so LFC can lift their trophy in front of a social media audience or so clubs can get some TV money for example, would, in the grand scheme of things, be selfish and irresponsible. Not when they can just void the season, which is fair to all and means all clubs will share the same situation. Now if they played games behind closed doors for TV money to pay staff...

I agree, but I don't want COVID to last as long as it will take to bust Man City.

I want it to end tomorrow ha ha, but Man City go bust simply if here is no football over a length of time. They then become just a trademark, maybe some land and property. In all reality that’s all these owners and the powers that be own. Right now they own Jack shit. Just bills and some badges and empty properties.

SKY own the rights to what exactly right now?

I really hope after this, the businessmen and money men withdraw from the game completely and the game lives on as a sport and not a business any more existing time make money for people at our expense where for us it’s about seeing our team play football in the name of sport.

I started missing it after a few weeks when it was suspended, but now I don’t and I’ve accepted it’s totally irrelevant as a business or as a commodity as it’s none essential and today a delivery driver job for example is way more higher up as a profession than a footballer’s. Bring it’s collapse on for me, it’s a sport not a business or was and always should be. I could live without it easily as it’s not a sport. Now grassroots football, being able to play it and watch my boys play for their team... no way.

Most of life is non-essential if you want to be pedantic. You don't have to eat pizza, you could just as easily eat beans every day, holding the spoon in your mitt like in the old cowboy films.

Me, I'm really missing sport on tv. Yes grassroots sports, watching your son's football team is part of it, but so is the professional level far as I'm concerned. Why can't you have both?

Guest Howaythetoon

Most of life is non-essential if you want to be pedantic. You don't have to eat pizza, you could just as easily eat beans every day, holding the spoon in your mitt like in the old cowboy films.

Me, I'm really missing sport on tv. Yes grassroots sports, watching your son's football team is part of it, but so is the professional level far as I'm concerned. Why can't you have both?

I don’t disagree, I’m just saying I don’t miss the PL or the CL myself. I’m aware many others do, but the more this drags on the less I long for its return. I’d be happy if it become extinct and was replaced with an amateur form of the sport fans could buy into. I’m more gutted Gateshead aren’t playing and after this I’ll be supporting Newcastle Blue Star which I’m sure will survive regardless and probably stand a better chance of doing so than NUFC.

However I look at this, I can’t see football surviving as a business the way it was before this unless the virus is wiped out and everyone is protected guaranteed, players, finances, fans, the whole lot. And that applies to many other industries.

I wonder how much MA will take for NUFC after a few months without football, with players furloughed, zero revenue coming in, bills to pay out of his own pocket and no fanbase to bail him out or TV money.

It’s all about balance of the risks for when football comes back.

Yeah ok so it’s not essential that it comes back, however will it have a positive effect?

There is a large section of the population who are being told to stay at home for 12 weeks, with this possibly being increased. There are many other out of work. We have already battled hard to keep people in on hot days, with the summer coming round sooner.

These people have little to do.

If it’s safe enough for football to comeback without crowds in June or July, and have games televised. Would that increase the chances of people staying in and watching it? I would say yes. Would that result in a significant reduction in people not catching the virus? I would be very interested in the analysis of that.

I think HTT is blinded by his view. I not saying he’s massively wrong, but I do think sometimes he lets his view overshadow the wider picture.

HTT has been lucky to be able to watch and take part in football with his kids whilst remaining isolated. Recently his work has been classified as essential and he’s been back to work and keeping busy. In my view your daily life in starting to resemble normality quicker than some else’s, quicker than most people’s. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

However that normal isn’t happening for a long time for people. For example I opened my front door to receive a delivery off my sister today, and it felt great to have the faint feeling of a gentle breeze of the wind on me.

These people over time are going to need something to hold on too. They are possibly going to need a reason for them to stay inside and not give up.

Having football or even their regular TV shows back on TV could easily be the small thing that makes a big difference.

If the medical authorities declare it safe for football to be played behind closed doors and TV shows to start filming again, then myself I’m all for it.

I would never say that they should do it without their permission or advice, but once they give it the go ahead, then go for it. 

Yep. This tbh.

I never miss football during the summer break but do this time - probably a mix of boredom and the untidyness of having an incomplete season.

Let's see how it goes when the Bundesliga restarts. With daily testing on players/staff and empty stadiums, this could be safely done.

Play this season as long as it takes IMO. Start next season in January if you have to and keep it like that till after the World Cup

Cancel the Euros? Or move that to the winter too?

Said this before but I'd finish this season then restructure the league next season so there are less fixtures, e.g. Split the leagues in 2 as a one-off and perhaps have some play offs at the end for added interest. Then if there aren't any further outbreaks you'd potentially be back to normal after that.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s all about balance of the risks for when football comes back.

Yeah ok so it’s not essential that it comes back, however will it have a positive effect?

There is a large section of the population who are being told to stay at home for 12 weeks, with this possibly being increased. There are many other out of work. We have already battled hard to keep people in on hot days, with the summer coming round sooner.

These people have little to do.

If it’s safe enough for football to comeback without crowds in June or July, and have games televised. Would that increase the chances of people staying in and watching it? I would say yes. Would that result in a significant reduction in people not catching the virus? I would be very interested in the analysis of that.

I think HTT is blinded by his view. I not saying he’s massively wrong, but I do think sometimes he lets his view overshadow the wider picture.

HTT has been lucky to be able to watch and take part in football with his kids whilst remaining isolated. Recently his work has been classified as essential and he’s been back to work and keeping busy. In my view your daily life in starting to resemble normality quicker than some else’s, quicker than most people’s. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

However that normal isn’t happening for a long time for people. For example I opened my front door to receive a delivery off my sister today, and it felt great to have the faint feeling of a gentle breeze of the wind on me.

These people over time are going to need something to hold on too. They are possibly going to need a reason for them to stay inside and not give up.

Having football or even their regular TV shows back on TV could easily be the small thing that makes a big difference.

If the medical authorities declare it safe for football to be played behind closed doors and TV shows to start filming again, then myself I’m all for it.

I would never say that they should do it without their permission or advice, but once they give it the go ahead, then go for it. 

My situation has nothing to do with my views or is reflective of the real situation. I miss footy like anyone, but that initial pine for it when it was first suspended, has gone, full stop, and will remain so. I’m aware I’ve become more and more detached from footy over the years so I’m more used to doing without my fix, but conversely I’ve replaced that with a fix of grassroots/kids football and I miss that massively.

I’d watch a behind closed doors game like the next person, but that’s not fixing things. I know several pro players whose family would not want them to play while this us still ongoing and I know many many more amateur and grassroots people who would only go back to things if there was a guarantee the virus wouldn’t infect them or anyone else.

Football needs to do what’s best for the sport not for business, TV, fans, viewing figures, players, sponsors or owners. As far as I can tell, that means voiding it full stop or suspending it for 6 months at least completely. Either way clubs will still go bust and many players will end up free agents because right now as a business, football has no business and like many others and many industries, when that money runs out, everyone is out of work.

Whatever happens, grassroots football will survive and maybe even return stronger. I love football because I can play it and watch it for free, my kids can too, as a sport, I’m not paying thousands a year to attend, subscribe and buy into a product that’s non essential to me or anything and nor should anyone else. Not as a business anyway. As a sport...

Play this season as long as it takes IMO. Start next season in January if you have to and keep it like that till after the World Cup

Yup.

The problem with this though is that you then have 6 months to play with at the start of 2023 and are delaying the dilemma.

Plus I hope by some miracle FIFA are held accountable for this bollocks and the Qatar World Cup won't end up happening.

Cancel the Euros? Or move that to the winter too?

Play it in September/October or whenever, aye

Yup.

The problem with this though is that you then have 6 months to play with at the start of 2023 and are delaying the dilemma.

Plus I hope by some miracle FIFA are held accountable for this bollocks and the Qatar World Cup won't end up happening.

Next season is the one they can be flexible with though IMO as they’ll be starting from scratch. If the dates are off cut it down / have playoffs or stretch it out a bit and fuck all the midweek games off or something.

Personally I’d be fairly against having anything back normal until fans can go again. Silent matches are wank.