Players wages

jackyboy

Forget the staff, players should be giving their wages to nurses, binmen, doctors, people that make bins for the binmen to empty, soldiers and supermarket workers.

Guest neesy111

It's quite different with football clubs where 25 players make probably 80-90% of the wages for the whole organisation.

Norwich and Bournemouth are covering the 20% loss in their non-playing staff's wages whereas us and Spurs aren't - Ashley and Levy - w*****s!

I genuinely think it's disgusting that not one of ours or Spurs' players have came out to offer help to the non-playing staff who are losing wages. Surely they realise it would be a brilliant thing to do in this s*** time? We keep hearing how our lot have a Whatsapp chat for all of the players and the banter is brilliant............it probably hasn't even been mentioned by any of them.

Shelvey is on 80k a week here and Spurs have six players earning over six figures per week with Kane the highest on 200K.

Disagree completely.

Why should the other employees take the burden when the equity holder is a billionaire and makes all the decisions regarding the club?

Why is football the only industry where we have this attitude? Footballers are employees and are pair so highly because they generate massive revenue. We don’t hear hedge fund managers being asked to pay for the clearers wages do we?

The usually political points scoring from Khan and the Tories.

And I disagree with you 100%. This is nothing to do with politics, it's about being a decent human being. Decency and Human Being isn't in Ashleys dictionary.

Do you remember when KK first came to us? The club were in dire straights and couldn't afford Terry Mac's wages. KK wanted him as his assistant, so he paid Terry Macs wages out of his own pocket. That's the mark of a decent human being.

Ashley is a cunt, and we all know that, he doesn't give a fuck about the feelings of anyone, so getting rid of all the non 1st team players is no big deal for him.

Imagine being a player for NUFC today. You're earning more in a week than most other people in the club earn in a year. The tea lady, the person who cleans the kit, the guy who cuts the grass and the one who runs the shop. How could you ever look them in the face again if you did nothing?

I know that KK would have got his 1st team together, told them they're taking a 50% pay cut so that Mary, Tony, Betty and all of the support staff could keep feeding their families, pay their rent etc.

This is not about politics or being a millionaire or a billionaire. It's about human decency and it's shameful that Shelvey and all of them seem happy to let Mary, Tony and Betty lose their jobs while doing fuck all themselves and earning crazy amounts of money.

Nothing to do with politics, where are the decent people?

And I disagree with you 100%. This is nothing to do with politics, it's about being a decent human being. Decency and Human Being isn't in Ashleys dictionary.

Do you remember when KK first came to us? The club were in dire straights and couldn't afford Terry Mac's wages. KK wanted him as his assistant, so he paid Terry Macs wages out of his own pocket. That's the mark of a decent human being.

Ashley is a cunt, and we all know that, he doesn't give a fuck about the feelings of anyone, so getting rid of all the non 1st team players is no big deal for him.

Imagine being a player for NUFC today. You're earning more in a week than most other people in the club earn in a year. The tea lady, the person who cleans the kit, the guy who cuts the grass and the one who runs the shop. How could you ever look them in the face again if you did nothing?

I know that KK would have got his 1st team together, told them they're taking a 50% pay cut so that Mary, Tony, Betty and all of the support staff could keep feeding their families, pay their rent etc.

This is not about politics or being a millionaire or a billionaire. It's about human decency and it's shameful that Shelvey and all of them seem happy to let Mary, Tony and Betty lose their jobs while doing fuck all themselves and earning crazy amounts of money.

Nothing to do with politics, where are the decent people?

Brilliantly summed up pal!

I wonder how clubs stand on this because players are employed to play but there is no football.  I wonder if there will come a point where their contracts become invalid.  I find it incredible that players have not offered to take a cut or offer to pay the wages of those employees

further down the money ladder, those who need it.  I can really see this developing into a massive shit storm

It's the fact taxpayers will be paying these wages now, when the clubs are loaded.  Goes for a lot of businesses though, too weighted in favour of owners/shareholders.

I mean they've always paid their wages. Who gives SKY the money to throw at the league? Who gives the money to the advertisers to throw at the league?

Ørjan Nyland and other Norwegian PL professionals were on the Norwegian news all flabbergasted at why they've not been asked to have cuts to their wage like in other countries, saying they and other players they've spoken to want to do it but not been given the option by the clubs yet, and they don't understand why.

It's the fact taxpayers will be paying these wages now, when the clubs are loaded.  Goes for a lot of businesses though, too weighted in favour of owners/shareholders.

I mean they've always paid their wages. Who gives SKY the money to throw at the league? Who gives the money to the advertisers to throw at the league?

Deep.

I don’t see why it’s on the players. Yes on the face of it, it’s morally dubious that they are taking home full pay of thousands while other staff don’t get paid, but they are employees. The owner should be covering the shortfall, not them. I don’t ever see this attitude aside from football.

Is the long and short of it.

I don’t see why it’s on the players. Yes on the face of it, it’s morally dubious that they are taking home full pay of thousands while other staff don’t get paid, but they are employees. The owner should be covering the shortfall, not them. I don’t ever see this attitude aside from football.

It's obviously different but I'd expect similar gestures from millionaire artists to support your staff or something, millionaire actors on big projects to make gestures to the staff on paused projects to help them out. I don't think it's all on the players or whoever but I think gestures could be made at the very least personally, especially when they won't harm them one bit in the long run.

You've not noticed tens of millions of people being made redundant or having their pay reduced?

The chancellor said "oh yeah if you've got a cleaning job that you can't do, we'll give you 80% of your £12k annual salary" and most people said that's a pretty good compromise given the circumstances.

But then someone mentioned maybe the footballers on £120k a week could do down to 80% and all I've seen is weeping over those poor poor people. They apparently have to keep every penny of it. Really fucking weird.

Huh? No I’ve not seen higher ranking employees at companies being asked to pay the wages of other employees? I don’t really understand what you’re getting at here. It’s literally always “give NHS workers footballer’s wages”. It’s never “give NHS workers shit heel

CEOs wages”?

That's why some people (as in many millions) are being furloughed down to 80% or being made redundant - to cover costs elsewhere in the business, whether it be a pub or an airline or a factory, affected by this, such as wages.

BA have done it today: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-ba-nears-deal-to-furlough-36-000-staff-report-11967241

Do you think we're saying the government should force footballers to do it?

I think they should be offering to help, those that are in a privileged position. Playing for PL teams is a massive privilege and differs from other businesses due to its unique link to the community and people that support it (and contribute directly to said wages).

I wouldn't expect Messi to pay the wages of the tea lady at SJP but I'd expect him to offer to help the lady that served his paella for the last 15 years at Masia.

Notwithstanding billionaires should be leading the charge, but they're billionaires and will never do so.

Guest neesy111

If players don't take big wage cuts e.g. 70% like most big clubs in Europe are then we are going to see some clubs with high debts failing.

Are there any higher paid employees in this country than footballers? Genuine question.

IMO the PL/FA should have taken the lead from the very start. As soon as the leagues were suspended it should have been pay cuts across the board, all into a big pot and shared down the pyramid to support the clubs further down who will die without even a few weeks of gate receipts. They look obscenely greedy at this point and it won't be forgotten.

I get the moral argument, I do. It wouldn’t sit well with me to take my wages home and see others go without. My feeling is they will do it anyway.

But this kind of finger pointing, in government

is absolutely pathetic.

Everyone can play their part? Then take money back from the tax avoiding parasites up and down this country. Why is it footballers on the firing line straight away? There’s tons of others who can be taken to task way more than footballers can

Aye that's a disgrace. But he's a Tory so you can expect nothing else really.

Guest chopey

So the players will defer 25% of their wages and when the season restarts they get every penny back .....................heros absolute heros..........I know who I'll be clapping for next Thursday at 8pm.

I just wouldn't pay the greedy fuckers. Let them take me to court. I think extenuating circumstances might play a role. Could even set a necessary precedent.

If I was a billionaire. And I would put their salaries into a high interest account, just in case.