Players wages

jackyboy

Big businesses will do whatever they can to cut costs and maximise profit, it’s easier to get rid of the low paid people. Especially businesses like football clubs, with very few morals and often run by single powerful (evil) individuals.

Least surprising thing ever.

Dat benefit of the doubt again.

So, what rules would you put in place which would exclude an employer being able to access the scheme?

Don't get me wrong, PL clubs using this mechanism is completely wrong but I don't see this as a failing of the government. Would it be better that clubs simply laid off their non-playing staff? You know for sure what Ashley would have done faced with that choice.

Well just as a general example for any business, let's say wage costs are £80m and you lay off 80% of your staff but the wage bill only drops by 20% there's something clearly wrong. That's in effect what's happened at these PL football clubs isn't it? Albeit the non playing staff numbers won't be that high.

Apply the same thing to high paid directors and executives etc. in any business. Oh you're keeping 20 guys that make up 60% of your wage bill and paying off 300 are you? No you're fucking not.

I'm not paying a massive amount of attention tbh but am I right thinking clubs have kept players on at existing contract rates, one of their biggest expenses, and thrown the non playing staff costs up be mostly picked up by the gov? That right?

Have the government completely fucked this scheme up then cause that sounds ridiculous.

thing is they probably don't have much of a choice but to keep players on existing contract rates without them agreeing to any cuts since just cutting the wages could be breach of contract and they lose very valuable assets for nothing

If the clubs furlough players, the government would give them about £500 a week and the club would make up the remaining £69,500. There's absolutely no point, but I guess they could. There isn't any wage cut imposed as part of the scheme, the employer has to make up the difference.

If the clubs furlough players, the government would give them about £500 a week and the club would make up the remaining £69,500. There's absolutely no point, but I guess they could. There isn't any wage cut imposed as part of the scheme, the employer has to make up the difference.

Completely wrong.

Deflection from owners, investors, and directors who know they have the government on side.

Both know most English voters despise overpaid players as they’re often from demographics that should be living in poverty for life unlike owners the owners, investors, and directors.

The culture war never rests.

(And yes, I think players should take a paycut)

Maybe the only post of yours I’ve ever agreed with.

It’s very simple, depending on the situation:

Situation 1: Most footballers are paying their tax through PAYE based on their full salary.

In which case just under 45% of salaries are already going to HM Treasury to do as they see fit with.

Based on 25 man squads in an average of £40k, the government are getting £9m a week from premier league footballer salaries.

After which footballers should be free to fundraise internally and donate anonymously with some general press release going out on how much players are collectively donating.

Situation 2: Players and clubs are using loop holes

In which case name, shame and find a way to pull the money back to where it belongs ASAP.

Our own club’s non-first team staff have all had their pay reduced to 80%/£2500 yet all th players and Bruce are getting their full millions.

Definitely something not right there!

Agreed, it's morally wrong that the people who can least afford it at NUFC are the ones taking the hit.

That said, I don't think it's the job of footballers to bail out this utterly wretched & wholly incompetent government.

Guest chicken little

whoever would have thought that spending forty years building a political economy seemingly designed to help those with the most money get away with not paying their share could have resulted in this? absolute head-scratcher.

Imagine falling hook, line and sinker for an answer of "why footballers, of course!" to the question "what group of people need to get called out for their avarice and relative inaction in this time of need?"

They're in the public eye. That's the nature of their employment. And a few do lead a flash lifestyle. So they make a perfect distraction and great first choice whipping boy whenever someone starts asking about what the wealthy are doing in times of crisis. But their sums are (relative) loose change in the sofa cushions of the mega millionaires and billionaires that no one talks about and it's infuriating. 

The sheer cheek of Matt Hancock in that piece. Wonder if he'll expand his call to Rupert Murdoch, Bezos, Branson etc.

You’ve probably seen but he actively refused to talk about Branson yday, saying it wasn’t his area.

Guest neesy111

there are other people to call out before footballers:

Actors

FL drivers ( yes you Hamilton you tax dodging twat)

Golfers

Bankers

etc etc

:facepalm:

Guest chopey

Ashley wont give a shit what liverpool have done, it's like what someone on Twitter has just said "he is just a bad human"

Imagine falling hook, line and sinker for an answer of "why footballers, of course!" to the question "what group of people need to get called out for their avarice and relative inaction in this time of need?"

They're in the public eye. That's the nature of their employment. And a few do lead a flash lifestyle. So they make a perfect distraction and great first choice whipping boy whenever someone starts asking about what the wealthy are doing in times of crisis. But their sums are (relative) loose change in the sofa cushions of the mega millionaires and billionaires that no one talks about and it's infuriating.

Do you lot go after anyone at these times? Black athletes for example.